Number of applications

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Vol de mort

Number of applications

Postby Vol de mort » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:41 pm

Do admission committees care how many other schools you apply to? Some applications I've filled out ask which other schools you're applying to. I've filled them out honestly but was wondering how they could tell if you didn't, and that got me to wondering if they see a report and actually care how many applications to other programs you send out.

bk1

Re: Number of applications

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:51 pm

No they don't care. I don't fill out that part as it is likely just them trying to gauge if they need to yield protect you.

Postby 2014 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:52 pm

They don't find out, they are more interested in getting a clue both who they are competing with and whether they are a safety school for you.

I've seen plenty of people on here that advocate giving them the names of a few of their peer schools, but if they ARE a safety, for example if you are applying to say Cardozo to ensure you have at least one NY option, don't disclose you are apping to Columbia and NYU too.

That would be my suggestion at least, and that's what I'm going to do.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:24 pm

2014 wrote:They don't find out, they are more interested in getting a clue both who they are competing with and whether they are a safety school for you.

I've seen plenty of people on here that advocate giving them the names of a few of their peer schools, but if they ARE a safety, for example if you are applying to say Cardozo to ensure you have at least one NY option, don't disclose you are apping to Columbia and NYU too.

That would be my suggestion at least, and that's what I'm going to do.

Seriously? If you are qualified for Columbia and applying to Cardozo they will know it is a safety.

OP: Don't worry too much about it. If you are looking at a school with more regional draw consider showing them that you are interested in that region and applying to schools nearby. Otherwise, it would seem to be your choice to list whatever you feel like.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”