Emory Looks Terrible

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
username99

Emory Looks Terrible

Postby username99 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:58 pm

....when it pulls this sh't. First, it's the last school to post an application in a time when the school can not afford a worse reputation. Second, you cannot apply until after 10/20 at least because its website has no details for the fellowship. Third, it makes you write an addendum for a minor traffic violation. How I can I write 500 words on speeding? Sorry I drove quickly?

Actually, if anyone has any ideas on what to write for that, I'd be interested to hear them.

beachbum

Re: Emory Looks Terrible

Postby beachbum » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:01 pm

wait, so remind me why you're still applying?

username99

Postby username99 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:04 pm

beachbum wrote:wait, so remind me why you're still applying?

Because clearly I'm a moron. But touche!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:11 pm

500 words on speeding?

"I drove along the highway with traffic at 95 MPH, and a state police cruiser stopped me and issued me a ticket for speeding. I paid the fine."

username99

Postby username99 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:14 pm

Do I have to do the whole "I'm sorry" thing? Can I just say "I was stopped for speeding twice over the last four years. I regret it and have since started driving slower. Also, I probably really had to pee at the time."

ARTfulDodger

Postby ARTfulDodger » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:15 pm

beachbum wrote:wait, so remind me why you're still applying?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:32 pm

username99 wrote:Do I have to do the whole "I'm sorry" thing? Can I just say "I was stopped for speeding twice over the last four years. I regret it and have since started driving slower. Also, I probably really had to pee at the time."

Seriously... I don't really feel like slowing down should have to be learned from speeding because I can drive at twice the speed limit safely. But the point is rules and laws are there to govern the masses for a good cause and we must learn to respect them. So maybe not so much that you were sorry, but you learned to respect and obey the rules for the better good of society. Make sense? I don't know if I would believe "So I drive slower now" anyway lol

why not just apply somewhere else? I was going to send them an app, but I have not heard anything positive about them lately. (on and off here)

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:39 pm

Third, it makes you write an addendum for a minor traffic violation. How I can I write 500 words on speeding? Sorry I drove quickly?

When you add this bs to the OCI issues that the Emory 3L’s are griping about… :evil:

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:58 pm

username99 wrote:....when it pulls this sh't. First, it's the last school to post an application in a time when the school can not afford a worse reputation. Second, you cannot apply until after 10/20 at least because its website has no details for the fellowship. Third, it makes you write an addendum for a minor traffic violation. How I can I write 500 words on speeding? Sorry I drove quickly?

Actually, if anyone has any ideas on what to write for that, I'd be interested to hear them.

Cry me a river.

username99

Postby username99 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:05 pm

rad law wrote:
username99 wrote:....when it pulls this sh't. First, it's the last school to post an application in a time when the school can not afford a worse reputation. Second, you cannot apply until after 10/20 at least because its website has no details for the fellowship. Third, it makes you write an addendum for a minor traffic violation. How I can I write 500 words on speeding? Sorry I drove quickly?

Cry me a river.

Well look, doucheballoon, I'm not exactly crying about it. It just seems to me that Emory doesn't have its shit together.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:07 pm

Tell them what happened (I was pulled over on date X for speeding), and that it's taken been taken care of. I think they just want to know that you've already paid the fine/done defensive driving, etc. A couple of paragraphs will be fine.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:08 pm

username99 wrote:
rad law wrote:

Cry me a river.

Well look, doucheballoon, I'm not exactly crying about it. It just seems to me that Emory doesn't have its shit together.

It's one of the top 25 schools in the nation, and recieves thousands of applications each year.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:11 pm

Reference the OJ Simpson trial with your addendum.

I was speeding in a Blue Toyota, not a White Bronco, headed back home after work, not to the Mexican border after brutally murdering my ex wife and her boyfriend. I did not have $10,000 cash on me, and have not spent the last 4 years looking for the real killer. I have not been too busy playing 36 holes a day to find the real killer, nor have I been sent to jail for kidnapping and almost killing someone for owning my memorabilia. The police officer in charge knocked it down to 10 over even though I was driving 12 over, and there was no drawn out trial involving Judge Ito, a media circus, the dismissal of several jurors who were looking for book deals, and Johnny Cochran's career defining performance. There was no glove to fit, the court did not acquit, I paid a $150 fine and moved on with my life. Again, moving on with my life didn't involve kidnapping people over autographed pictures of me.

etc.

You want them to have something else to compare you with.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:19 pm

Fred_McGriff wrote:Reference the OJ Simpson trial with your addendum.

I was speeding in a Blue Toyota, not a White Bronco, headed back home after work, not to the Mexican border after brutally murdering my ex wife and her boyfriend. I did not have $10,000 cash on me, and have not spent the last 4 years looking for the real killer. I have not been too busy playing 36 holes a day to find the real killer, nor have I been sent to jail for kidnapping and almost killing someone for owning my memorabilia. The police officer in charge knocked it down to 10 over even though I was driving 12 over, and there was no drawn out trial involving Judge Ito, a media circus, the dismissal of several jurors who were looking for book deals, and Johnny Cochran's career defining performance. There was no glove to fit, the court did not acquit, I paid a $150 fine and moved on with my life. Again, moving on with my life didn't involve kidnapping people over autographed pictures of me.

etc.

You want them to have something else to compare you with.

Epic.

OP, you should totally go with that.

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:28 pm

yep, we really don't have it together here. i suggest you take your attitude elsewhere.

username99

Postby username99 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:32 pm

ze2151 wrote:yep, we really don't have it together here. i suggest you take your attitude elsewhere.

Well if you go there, I'll kindly ask: does Emory have its shit together? Not trying to have an attitude, but recent signs are pointing to no.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:58 pm

I cant wait to write addendums for being lost and going through a speed trap in the middle of nowhere GA... I will never be lost in the middle of nowhere GA and go through speed traps again. k thx bye

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:01 pm

I haven't seen the Emory application yet (because they're still working on it, apparently), but is it worse than Washington and Lee?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:03 pm

Maybe any grant aid requires that you drive the school van ? Or maybe Emory had a bad experience with an enrolled student driver. Emory is located in a very nice area of Atlanta/Decatur.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:30 pm

My fault, Emory finished their application. Does anyone know what two-typed pages are? Is that a special kind of paper? :D

username99

Postby username99 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:46 pm

Bumi wrote:My fault, Emory finished their application. Does anyone know what two-typed pages are? Is that a special kind of paper? :D

Exactly. They're also the only school I have seen that distinctly mentions that it will be to your disadvantage to go over two pages, or presumably to also color outside the lines. In addition, they ask for your parents' email addresses (this is true and totally perplexing).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:52 pm

Bumi wrote:My fault, Emory finished their application. Does anyone know what two-typed pages are? Is that a special kind of paper? :D

I will be smart and say it's the kind where one side has text, and the other side has no text. Or they want you to use different fonts in the header and the body.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:54 pm

username99 wrote:

Exactly. They're also the only school I have seen that distinctly mentions that it will be to your disadvantage to go over two pages, or presumably to also color outside the lines. In addition, they ask for your parents' email addresses (this is true and totally perplexing).

It will always be to your disadvantage to go over a word/page limit. It is called following directions. You should be thankful Emory spells this out for you, because apparently you may not understand the concept of a page limit.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:02 pm

traehekat wrote:
username99 wrote:

It will always be to your disadvantage to go over a word/page limit. It is called following directions. You should be thankful Emory spells this out for you, because apparently you may not understand the concept of a page limit.

Guys. Guys. Relax. It's funny because there shouldn't be a dash between "two" and "typed."

username99

Postby username99 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:28 pm

Bumi wrote:
traehekat wrote:
username99 wrote:

Guys. Guys. Relax. It's funny because there shouldn't be a dash between "two" and "typed."

I'm not that worried - I'm just afraid they'll email my parents if I go over two pages.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”