Please critique my addendum for disclosure!! Thanks!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lalalawya

Please critique my addendum for disclosure!! Thanks!

Postby lalalawya » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:35 pm

On July 30, 2006, when I was seventeen years old, I was charged with minor in possession of alcohol in XYZ. I was never asked to stand before a judge, but as part of the agreement worked out with the XYZ County juvenile probation office, I was assigned to informal adjustment to redeem myself and deal with the consequences of my actions. I have, beyond a doubt, learned from this past mistake and continue to remain true to my commitment of acting as a responsible and mature citizen.

By the way, how much do instances like this affect my application? I was a minor, and this happened about 4 1/2 years ago, so I am inclined to say it probably wont have any affect. Just want to see what you guys think.

Thank you!

lalalawya

Re: Please critique my addendum for disclosure!! Thanks!

Postby lalalawya » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:40 pm

bumpity, bump, bump, bumpppppp

djjf39

Postby djjf39 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:57 pm

lalalawya wrote:On July 30, 2006, when I was seventeen years old, I was charged with minor in possession of alcohol in XYZ. I was never asked to stand before a judge, but as part of the agreement worked out with the XYZ County juvenile probation office, I was assigned to informal adjustment to redeem myself and deal with the consequences of my actions. I have, beyond a doubt, learned from this past mistake and continue to remain true to my commitment of acting as a responsible and mature citizen.

I would instead say: On July 30, 2006, when I was seventeen years old, I was charged with minor in possession of alcohol in XYZ. I never stood before a judge, but as part of the agreement worked out with the XYZ County juvenile probation office I was assigned to informal adjustment, which consisted of X, Y, and Z. I have learned from this past mistake and continue to be committed to acting as a responsible and mature citizen.

Short, sweet, and without some of the contentious language.

lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:02 pm

Thanks!!

djjf39 wrote:
lalalawya wrote:On July 30, 2006, when I was seventeen years old, I was charged with minor in possession of alcohol in XYZ. I was never asked to stand before a judge, but as part of the agreement worked out with the XYZ County juvenile probation office, I was assigned to informal adjustment to redeem myself and deal with the consequences of my actions. I have, beyond a doubt, learned from this past mistake and continue to remain true to my commitment of acting as a responsible and mature citizen.

I would instead say: On July 30, 2006, when I was seventeen years old, I was charged with minor in possession of alcohol in XYZ. I never stood before a judge, but as part of the agreement worked out with the XYZ County juvenile probation office I was assigned to informal adjustment, which consisted of X, Y, and Z. I have learned from this past mistake and continue to be committed to acting as a responsible and mature citizen.

Short, sweet, and without some of the contentious language.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:13 pm

lalalawya wrote:On July 30, 2006, when I was seventeen years old, I was charged with being a minor in possession of alcohol in XYZ. I was never asked to stand before a judge, but as part of the agreement worked out with the XYZ County juvenile probation office, I was assigned to informal adjustment to redeem myself and deal with the consequences of my actions. I have, beyond a doubt, learned from this past mistake and continue to remain true to my commitment of acting as a responsible and mature citizen.

By the way, how much do instances like this affect my application? I was a minor, and this happened about 4 1/2 years ago, so I am inclined to say it probably wont have any affect. Just want to see what you guys think.

Thank you!

Being a minor in possesion won't affect your app, but saying you got a minor in alcohol without having it show up on your transcripts will raise eyebrows :D

lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:16 pm

Haha

homestyle28 wrote:
lalalawya wrote:On July 30, 2006, when I was seventeen years old, I was charged with being a minor in possession of alcohol in XYZ. I was never asked to stand before a judge, but as part of the agreement worked out with the XYZ County juvenile probation office, I was assigned to informal adjustment to redeem myself and deal with the consequences of my actions. I have, beyond a doubt, learned from this past mistake and continue to remain true to my commitment of acting as a responsible and mature citizen.

Thank you!

Being a minor in possesion won't affect your app, but saying you got a minor in alcohol without having it show up on your transcripts will raise eyebrows :D

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”