Resume Question...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WashingtonJew

Resume Question...

Postby WashingtonJew » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:38 am

What's the verdict on a LS resume being longer than 1 page? i've seen different opinions. I would be able to keep it to 1 pg. but I transferred colleges and listing both takes up alot of space - do I even need to list "Education" - won't they see it already from my summarized transcripts? I also have 4-5 different work experiences to list, and 4-7 extra-currics. Should I narrow down the extracurriculars and expand on them, or should I list them all with title, position and little detail?

Thanks!

r6_philly

Re: Resume Question...

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:53 am

Education: yes. You can list your class ranking, degree GPA, honors, activities, etc.

2 pages: yes if you can't fit it onto one. Don't try to fill your resume. For most people with less than 5 years WE, 1 page should be enough.

rando

Postby rando » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:56 am

WashingtonJew wrote:What's the verdict on a LS resume being longer than 1 page? i've seen different opinions. I would be able to keep it to 1 pg. but I transferred colleges and listing both takes up alot of space - do I even need to list "Education" - won't they see it already from my summarized transcripts? I also have 4-5 different work experiences to list, and 4-7 extra-currics. Should I narrow down the extracurriculars and expand on them, or should I list them all with title, position and little detail?

Thanks!

This question comes up all the time. You should search it.

But to answer your question - Yes. It should be a page unless you have extenuating circumstances (e.g. published multiple times, a decade of experience in a relevant field etc.)

You should list education. Though you can certainly minimize the extent (if at all) of listing your initial school before transfer.

You should definitely minimize your extra curricular activities to one or two things that you are seriously involved with.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:17 am

Based on what the deans were saying at this panel I went to yesterday, if you need 2, use 2. If you've been out of work for a few years, and need 3 or 4, do that. Dean Perry's comment was that they want to see your entire background - for people with substantial work experience a long resume is basically the only way to include a more extensive rendering of this in the application. The gist of her comment was that if you need to explain things or add information, the resume is often the best place to do that.

The general impression I had was that the business dictum of one page, only 2 if necessary... does not apply for law school admissions. They're going to read your entire resume no matter what (assuming you don't have a 2.0 GPA and a 145 LSAT). And the general indication was that they prefer more information rather than less. So I wouldn't put stupid stuff in there, but certainly don't worry about going to 2 pages - it's not like they're going to skip the second page.

lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:55 pm

Do you list your LSDAS acculm GPA, or the actual GPA listed on your schools transcript?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:02 pm

lalalawya wrote:Do you list your LSDAS acculm GPA, or the actual GPA listed on your schools transcript?

whatever looks best as long as it is accurate. So if your degree/major GPA is 4.0 but your accumulative is 3.2, list the 4.0.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:16 pm

Similar to an above poster, several adcom/assistant deans, also some from top-ten schools, have told me per e-mail that they want (in contrast to more business-like resumes) more information rather than less. So, without filling it with drivel, if you think it's important, they might too (gross over-simplification, but in general true, if one can trust the horse's mouth).

lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:19 pm

Sahweeeet! Thank you!

r6_philly wrote:
lalalawya wrote:Do you list your LSDAS acculm GPA, or the actual GPA listed on your schools transcript?

whatever looks best as long as it is accurate. So if your degree/major GPA is 4.0 but your accumulative is 3.2, list the 4.0.

rando

Postby rando » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:24 pm

r6_philly wrote:

No. You need to post your cumulative. You can post your major GPA too but can't misrepresent your major GPA as cumulative.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:52 pm

rando wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

No. You need to post your cumulative. You can post your major GPA too but can't misrepresent your major GPA as cumulative.

No. You post "Degree GPA: 4.0". Resume is a marketing tool, you list what you want to list as long as it is accurate and not a misrepresentation. If they want to see your cumulative they shouldn't/wouldn't look at your resume. Since it is already presented and normalized on your LSDAS report, there is no obligation or need to list it on your resume.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:19 pm

r6_philly wrote:Since it is already presented and normalized on your LSDAS report, there is no obligation or need to list it on your resume.

This. Just don't put it on there at all. They don't care.

achilles

Postby achilles » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:45 pm

There's no way I can fit my Michigan resume on one page because they want to know hobbies and current activities. My resume for all other schools will be one page, because I think it just looks better

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”