question about addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pinkdatura

question about addendum

Postby pinkdatura » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:59 am

I am writing an addendum about multiple lsat. I took lsat for 3 times, 148,158,169.
For my case, I used to be very bad at standardized exam and was extremely lack of experiences for "big" exams.
I had extraordinary academic credentials and scores from elementary school to high school that allow me to skip each single entrance exams (junior high entrance exam, high school entrance exam, and university entrance exam) and be automatically admitted into schools including best high school in city and best university in China with full scholarship. Therefore lack of experience for big exams which had crucial impact on stages of life, I suffered panic attack and cold feet when I took LSATs. But I finally managed to defeat those negative mentality haunting me these 2 years and got a decent LSAT score in the most recent exam.
Moreover my lsat scores show a growing trend which demonstrates my ability to learn. I am wondering if this contributes as a good
explanation for multiple score in addendum.
Also around the time I took LSAT the first time in 2008, I was diagnosed as depression (because lost of grandpa who single-handedly raised me all life) by doctor and started to take anti-depression medication since then. Now I am much better now and can handle stress and panic attack much better, that's why I finally get a ok score now.
I am wondering if the explanations above seem ok for admission officers and can compensate my twice rather low scores. Also I am wondering if the diagnosed depression is a good reason. I am a little bit worried that my history of diagnosed depression would lead admission officers to have concerns about my capability of surviving in law school, which instead of benefit , rather harm my chance. Thank you so much. Any comment will be very welcome.

maroonzoon

Re: question about addendum

Postby maroonzoon » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:18 am

An uptrend in your three scores is already positive. I don't think you have to specifically mention it as a positive thing. But you will have to explain what is behind it. Just make sure you don't get wrapped up in extremely specific details about everything that contributed to a bad score, or it will look like whining.

I would not use the words "panic attack." Anxiety is very normal. A panic attack is like a diagnosed psychological condition, which is different. A true panic attack would probably prevent you from completing the test. Also, "cold feet" means you feel like you've changed your mind or you're uncertain about a decision; I would not use this term, either.

As long as you say it is definitely in the past, it's OK to mention depression.

Overall, I would mention the depression and lack of testing experience. The main problem is, depression and inexperience can only really explain the first score. I wouldn't know how to explain two retakes with 10 point gains each, although most schools now only consider the highest score anyway.

Good luck.

pinkdatura

Postby pinkdatura » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:28 pm

Thank you so much, Maroonzoon. Those are wonderful advice. The fact that I have 3 scores troubles me the most. I gained 10 points each time as my ability of confronting the anxiety and stress gets better. Thank you for correcting my expression, you know, as a foreigner it is sometimes so difficult to understand subtle meanings behind words. That's why it takes me so much courage to post a thread on tls. I feel so grateful that everyone here is so helpful and won't laugh at me. I am wondering what's a better choice of expression rather than panic attack: the previous depression made me more vulnerable to panic/stress/anxiety. So I ______during lsat exam.
Also I think my scores get higher as I was recovering from depression through medication. Especially this june I had the highest score, my doctor informed me that I would be ok without medication. I am wondering if this is a reasonable explanation for my three score with 10 points higher each time. Thank you so much.

lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:37 pm

You can probably say you experienced an extreme bout of anxiety during the test, which in turn impeded upon your ability to perform to your fullest capability....or something like that. Good luck!

pinkdatura

Postby pinkdatura » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:18 pm

Thank you so much. lalalawya. Good luck to you, too:)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”