Forgot to sign LOR waiving right

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Saltqjibo

Forgot to sign LOR waiving right

Postby Saltqjibo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:58 pm

So, I was stupid and I sent the accompanying form to the recommender and he sent it off - didn't even remember that it 'needed' a signature. LSAC now has it on file. I'm not worried that it affected his reccomendation as he is a really easy going guy and likes me a lot - he probably didn't even notice. But will this look bad to law schools that recieve it? Should I ask LSAC, if I can send it again with my right waived?

Really could use some opinions as I want to submit soon.

im_blue

Re: Forgot to sign LOR waiving right

Postby im_blue » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:09 pm

This definitely looks bad to law schools. I would send another with the signed form.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:13 pm

Saltqjibo wrote:So, I was stupid and I sent the accompanying form to the recommender and he sent it off - didn't even remember that it 'needed' a signature. LSAC now has it on file. I'm not worried that it affected his reccomendation as he is a really easy going guy and likes me a lot - he probably didn't even notice. But will this look bad to law schools that recieve it? Should I ask LSAC, if I can send it again with my right waived?

IMO you will look more douchey if you redo it. I doubt anyone will even notice.

It's like those people who would judge job candidates by whether they salted the food or not. Who cares? You wouldn't want to work for someone like that anyway.

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:23 pm

Hmm, my understanding of the way LSAC works is that I can have multiple letters from the same reccomender? In that case I can just set it up as if it were a school specific reccomendation (i.e. a different file on the lsac website) and get him to resend the same letter with the sig (don't think he will mind) and then make sure I apply the right one to the apps. Any problem with this plan?

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:28 pm

Saltqjibo wrote:Hmm, my understanding of the way LSAC works is that I can have multiple letters from the same reccomender? In that case I can just set it up as if it were a school specific reccomendation (i.e. a different file on the lsac website) and get him to resend the same letter with the sig (don't think he will mind) and then make sure I apply the right one to the apps. Any problem with this plan?

Go for it.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:32 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Saltqjibo wrote:So, I was stupid and I sent the accompanying form to the recommender and he sent it off - didn't even remember that it 'needed' a signature. LSAC now has it on file. I'm not worried that it affected his reccomendation as he is a really easy going guy and likes me a lot - he probably didn't even notice. But will this look bad to law schools that recieve it? Should I ask LSAC, if I can send it again with my right waived?

IMO you will look more douchey if you redo it. I doubt anyone will even notice.

It's like those people who would judge job candidates by whether they salted the food or not. Who cares? You wouldn't want to work for someone like that anyway.

Which PT was that on? I forget....

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:57 pm

Ragged wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:IMO you will look more douchey if you redo it. I doubt anyone will even notice.

Haha I didn't know it was on one. Career services at my school tried to terrify students by telling stories like that in hushed tones.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:22 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Ragged wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:IMO you will look more douchey if you redo it. I doubt anyone will even notice.

Haha I didn't know it was on one. Career services at my school tried to terrify students by telling stories like that in hushed tones.

There was an LR question about that. I think it was in one of first six PTs.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:25 pm

Is there any way to tell if the form was signed or not? I know for sure I signed it for one but not entirely sure about the other.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:27 pm

Why can't you just have "another" letter on file that is the exact same copy as this one just with the signed form? All you have to do is ask your LOR recommender to send a new copy. Have him fax it and it should be pretty quick.

Schools won't even know you fucked up the first time cause you'll be attaching the "second" letter rather than the first.

EDIT: I realize im_blue said this but without all my unnecessary elaboration. :P
Last edited by bk1 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:28 pm

bk1 wrote:Why can't you just have "another" letter on file that is the exact same copy as this one just with the signed form? All you have to do is ask your LOR recommender to send a new copy. Have him fax it and it should be pretty quick.

Schools won't even know you fucked up the first time cause you'll be attaching the "second" letter rather than the first.

+1 That's exactly what you should do. (Unless you already applied)

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:26 am

Saltqjibo wrote:Hmm, my understanding of the way LSAC works is that I can have multiple letters from the same reccomender? In that case I can just set it up as if it were a school specific reccomendation (i.e. a different file on the lsac website) and get him to resend the same letter with the sig (don't think he will mind) and then make sure I apply the right one to the apps. Any problem with this plan?

TITCR.

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:40 am

im_blue wrote:This definitely looks bad to law schools.

No, it doesn't. Law school admissions staffers recognize that the waiver serves no purpose beyond facilitating FERPA compliance, and therefore attach no significance whatsoever to the form.

existenz

Postby existenz » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:59 am

No ones cares if you signed the waiver or not.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”