What to do--a freshman undergrad looking to make his way. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dtubin

New

Re: What to do--a freshman undergrad looking to make his way.

Post by dtubin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:44 am

I thought if you get a score on your ap exam it reflects on the lsac gpa? I mDe a thread about it ..

Also if you take it in October of your senior year you won't have any problems. After that you will need to apply for the next cycle if you decide to take after October.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:51 am

pwyoung wrote:
im_blue wrote:
pwyoung wrote:So I'm in a similar position to the original poster... however I'm at a less prestigious school.

Okay, who am I going to kid. I'm at a significantly less prestigious school.

Other than screwing chicks, is there any other advice?

Also, I think I'm shooting to take some summer classes and add in my AP scores and graduate in 3 years, couple of questions:

1) Will AP credits affect my LSAC GPA?
2) Let's say I shoot to graduate in 3 years, so I take my LSAT in June of what would, under a normal timeframe, be my Sophomore year, but I get into that year and decide not to, so I don't take it until October of my Senior year... is that timeframe discrepancy going to reflect poorly?
1) no
2) Uh, are you saying you take the LSAT twice (June of 2nd year, October of 4th year)?
Correct. My natural inclination is no, but that's kind of a huge timeframe.
Shouldn't look odd at all, unless the first score is significantly lower or something.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:09 am

Don't take the LSAT more than once unless you have to. It just creates another question the deans have to answer as they review your application.

edit: AP credits definitely do not affect your LSDAS GPA.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:49 am

I'm sure you chose UChi for a reason, and have you even been there long enough to get a GPA? It's a well-respected school, and you should be shooting for the highest GPA you can, but I wouldn't transfer unless it's really a bad fit for you AND you can get into a "better" school. Also, I am willing to bet that at least UChi's Law School gives a little bump to its own undergrads, and that is a v v good law school.

Taking leadership roles in political work is great, builds lawyer connections, and is easy to connect to why you want to go to law school. It seems like you're already passionate about it, so I'd stick with it and try to move up in these organizations over the next few years.

I recommend not applying straight out of undergrad. I don't know what kind of work you're considering post law school (and it's fine to have no idea) but I would try and consider that. The typical job out of top law schools is working for big firms that do business law work, so it's really helpful to get some business background/experience through work in undergrad and maybe for a couple of years after. I think that ends up being a huge help, not so much for getting into law school (although it helps there too), but in getting a legal job right after, which you should also be considering. TFA/Americorps etc are definitely a plus in the admissions game, although less related to law firm work.

If you want to apply straight through, take the LSAT the summer before your senior year, and start preparing in the Spring of your junior year. You may want to do this even if you plan to work, as your LSAT stays good for about five years, I think, and you may have less time to study when you're working full-time.

Good for you for starting early. Good luck.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:43 am

pwyoung wrote:1) Will AP credits affect my LSAC GPA?
If your school gives you letter grades for them, yes.
Speaking from experience, my LSDAS Gpa jumped .05 thanks to AP because some schools put letter grades on the transcript for them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”