What is up with UCI? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mrs. P

New

What is up with UCI?

Post by Mrs. P » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:42 am

They look extremely competitive and geared to wind up in the top 20, at least, but they haven't received accreditation. Is anyone applying there? How difficult do you think it will be to get in? When do you think they'll receive accreditation?

Hannibal

Gold

Re: What is up with UCI?

Post by Hannibal » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:48 am

I'm going to apply there, but I wouldn't bet on it making top 20.

I like their approach. Chemerinsky said in his address that he's going to make sure you have an enjoyable time, pass the bar, and get a job. Also, the lowwww faculty-student ratio and great endowment are working in their favor. I'm pretty sure they'll receive accreditation around the time that the class of 2014 starts classes or earlier, so we wouldn't have to do the baby bar.

Mrs. P

New

Post by Mrs. P » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:15 pm

nice! they look so competitive though! do you mind me asking your stats?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:32 pm

Their first year class had medians of 3.61 / 167, which is comparable to T20 schools. They're applying for provisional accreditation this year (2010-11), and the earliest they can get full ABA accreditation is 2012-13, so they should debut in the 2014 US News rankings in April 2013.

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:42 pm

One of the reasons that their first class looked so competitive is that they offered full rides to the whole class...free tuition would def make a lot of people with high numbers think twice!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:30 pm

swilson215 wrote:One of the reasons that their first class looked so competitive is that they offered full rides to the whole class...free tuition would def make a lot of people with high numbers think twice!
This. When the tab is the same as other UC law schools, they're not going to see a single person with Berkeley or UCLA numbers going to Irvine.

ViP

Bronze

Post by ViP » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:16 pm

SBL wrote:
swilson215 wrote:One of the reasons that their first class looked so competitive is that they offered full rides to the whole class...free tuition would def make a lot of people with high numbers think twice!
This. When the tab is the same as other UC law schools, they're not going to see a single person with Berkeley or UCLA numbers going to Irvine.
The classes will continue to look equally as competitive. This year, UCI will admit as many or as few students necessary to maintain or increase our stats. The university will give the law school any and every resource necessary to achieve our goals (words from the chancellor). Whether or not we rank top-20 upon our debut in US News (which Dean Chemerinsky and the board still wholeheartedly believe and are committed to achieving), our students and faculty will continue to have top-20 credentials.

Nobody thought our inaugural class would have top-20 numbers, even with the full tuition. They were proved wrong. Those same people said there's no way UCI could maintain those numbers once students have to pay. They too were proved wrong, as my class has only 50% scholarship over 3 years and yet boasts an undergraduate GPA of 3.38-3.79 (25th percentile-75th percentile) and an LSAT score of 163-169 (25th -75th percentile).

Moreover, the first year UCI faculty was ranked 10th in the nation by Brian Leiter in terms of scholarly impact. The disbelievers said "surely, like student quality, faculty quality will decline." In comes UCI's additional faculty and by our second year Leiter moved us to #9 in the nation.

We're confident in the school, we're happy, and we're having an amazing time so far.

ViP

Bronze

Post by ViP » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:24 pm

Mrs. P wrote:They look extremely competitive and geared to wind up in the top 20, at least, but they haven't received accreditation. Is anyone applying there? How difficult do you think it will be to get in? When do you think they'll receive accreditation?
We should receive provisional accreditation by next summer, at which point we'll be eligible to take the bar (NOT the baby bar) in any state. Exactly 2 years later we'll receive full accreditation (assuming we pass all the tests, which even the most ardent naysayers don't doubt).

ViP

Bronze

Post by ViP » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:58 pm

Latest news:

UC Irvine School of Law to Provide One-Third Tuition Scholarships for Next Class of Students

http://law.uci.edu/press_releases/10-21-10.html

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:00 pm

The real question is how many students they are taking... A lot of those kids getting 1/3 offers from UCI will be looking at full rides at T2 schools.

ViP

Bronze

Post by ViP » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:07 pm

Danteshek wrote:The real question is how many students they are taking... A lot of those kids getting 1/3 offers from UCI will be looking at full rides at T2 schools.
Expect around 100 students.

Students in the first two classes also had substantial scholarship offers, not at T2s, but rather T1s.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:12 pm

I don't expect that to continue for very long.

ViP

Bronze

Post by ViP » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:53 pm

Danteshek wrote:I don't expect that to continue for very long.
I do, since after 2-3 years the school will have established itself as a strong program with quality students and quality faculty. The uncertainty of employment will continue to deter some students, but I think there will continue to be plenty of top-notch students intrigued by UCI and confident in its potential.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KamaalTheAbstract

Bronze

Post by KamaalTheAbstract » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:08 pm

ViP wrote:
SBL wrote:
The classes will continue to look equally as competitive. This year, UCI will admit as many or as few students necessary to maintain or increase our stats. The university will give the law school any and every resource necessary to achieve our goals (words from the chancellor). Whether or not we rank top-20 upon our debut in US News (which Dean Chemerinsky and the board still wholeheartedly believe and are committed to achieving), our students and faculty will continue to have top-20 credentials.

Nobody thought our inaugural class would have top-20 numbers, even with the full tuition. They were proved wrong. Those same people said there's no way UCI could maintain those numbers once students have to pay. They too were proved wrong, as my class has only 50% scholarship over 3 years and yet boasts an undergraduate GPA of 3.38-3.79 (25th percentile-75th percentile) and an LSAT score of 163-169 (25th -75th percentile).

Moreover, the first year UCI faculty was ranked 10th in the nation by Brian Leiter in terms of scholarly impact. The disbelievers said "surely, like student quality, faculty quality will decline." In comes UCI's additional faculty and by our second year Leiter moved us to #9 in the nation.

We're confident in the school, we're happy, and we're having an amazing time so far.
Being a T20 isn't really a good thing these days.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:10 pm

KamaalTheAbstract wrote:
Yeah T20 isn't really a meaningful distinction.

ViP

Bronze

Post by ViP » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:13 pm

KamaalTheAbstract wrote:
ViP wrote:
SBL wrote:

I was only responding to the T20 references in earlier posts.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:15 pm

ViP wrote:
Danteshek wrote:I don't expect that to continue for very long.
I do, since after 2-3 years the school will have established itself as a strong program with quality students and quality faculty. The uncertainty of employment will continue to deter some students, but I think there will continue to be plenty of top-notch students intrigued by UCI and confident in its potential.
How many upper division coures is UCI actually offering? I can't imagine there are enough students (or faculty) for all the upper division classes they claim to offer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KamaalTheAbstract

Bronze

Post by KamaalTheAbstract » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:19 pm

I'm just saying that is probably going to be just another school with a lot of un/underemployed graduates. So don't get all excited about how Brian Leiter views your professors.

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:47 pm

rad law wrote:
KamaalTheAbstract wrote:
Yeah T20 isn't really a meaningful distinction.
I think it's pretty fucking baller to make your debut that way as a new school in an established environment.
If it actually happens, I'll give serious props (& they'll care, too).

uci2013

Bronze

Post by uci2013 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:30 pm

ViP wrote:Latest news:

UC Irvine School of Law to Provide One-Third Tuition Scholarships for Next Class of Students

http://law.uci.edu/press_releases/10-21-10.html
Keep in mind some students may get more than a 1/3 scholarship. There are some full-rides in the class of 2013 (I am aware of 3, and for all I know there may be more). I am sure UCI is aware that there will be some candidates who will need and will be deserving of more than a 1/3 ride to make the decision to come to UCI. The 1/3 scholarship is guaranteed to all accepted candidates, and if it is like the last two years, the only condition will be to remain in good academic standing.

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:10 am

What is UCI's transfer policy?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:14 am

Tuyarp wrote:What is UCI's transfer policy?
UCI 1Ls generally can't transfer out because they're not ABA accredited yet. UCI accepts transfer students, but only from ABA-accredited law schools.

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:21 am

im_blue wrote: UCI 1Ls generally can't transfer out because they're not ABA accredited yet. UCI accepts transfer students, but only from ABA-accredited law schools.
Their website says applicants who are top 10-15% from their schools will be considered. Do you think that's a bit high? Considering that top 10% people might have a shot at more established schools.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”