Guy's help me out here please.....need more advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
operaphantom2003

Guy's help me out here please.....need more advice

Postby operaphantom2003 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:49 am

Long story short I have 1 non-academic LOR and cannot find someone for the 2 academic ones. I transferred from a 2 year CC to a large University where my average class size was over 70. I have emailed and asked every professor, grad student, and TA that I had and all have declined for one reason or another. Their reasons range from "I only give them to A students" to "I wouldn't even know what to write if I said yes". I can't believe that this is the hardest thing I have to deal with. My gpa isn't that hot since they add in all classes ever taken (3.5 degree, 3.08 overall) and my lsat was 168 (not that great I know). I don't want to go to a top school and work for a top firm. I want to go to a smaller school and work in public interest when I finish. I am not a young 20 something with years to dedicate to getting top dollars. I am simply a 36 year old single mom and very proud of that. I have had a few discussions with some professors who feel that attitude should exclude me from law school. Well pfft. I won't let their opinion stop me from applying. The 1 letter I have is from the director of a non-profit where I have volunteered for the past 6 years.

What to do next?

Gemini

Re: Guy's help me out here please.....need more advice

Postby Gemini » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:54 am

You are 36 years old. I think one LOR from an academic is fine. Try the dean. Explain your situation and ask for perhaps an "interview." Bring in some old work, your resume, your transcript and hopefully, s/he'll write you something.

Edited to add: You can also try your academic advisor. Or the department head of the major you were in.

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:59 am

For what you are looking for, a 168 LSAT is absolutely wonderful.

Which school is requiring 2 academic LOR's? Normally, if you've been out of school for a while the schools accept work/volunteer LOR's. When did you graduate?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:08 am

When did you graduate from UG?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:15 am

For an older student with some work experience, professional recommendations are generally better (IMHO). Although, there is some value in having a single academic recommendation if you can. I would try the undergrad advisor/chair of the department that oversees your degree.

operaphantom2003

Postby operaphantom2003 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:14 pm

I started school when I was 17 but left after 1 year and went back 6 years ago and will be finishing in December. I volunteer 30 hours a week (25 for a non-profit and 5 for my son's class/school) and take my job as "mom" very seriously...been to every pta meeting, field trip, school function, etc. My professors made very rude comments about me not working, being too old, and trying to make my life miserable during this whole application process.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:19 pm

I am 33 with kids and I just finished in Aug. Went back 2 years ago. In grad school now. Since you are recently in school, they will want to see an academic letter. I say you need to befriend a professor, and quick. I know that could be hard, but you will need to do it. Sounds like your professors are not very accessible. You need to put in some extra efforts to interact with them so they know who you are. Feel free to pm me if you want some specific suggestions. I found it very easy to stand out among my peers. My personality helps but being non-trad and making an effort also earned me some respect from my professors. You can do it, and someone can write about your determination and drive along with your academic abilities, just have to find the right person.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:27 pm

CHECK YOU TITLE PUNCTUATION

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:36 pm

rad law wrote:CHECK YOU TITLE PUNCTUATION

Punctuation? Like a period?

:lol:

Sorry man it's your avatar.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”