ED advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mapes

ED advice

Postby mapes » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:20 am

Okay, so I almost have my applications together. I have a 170 lsat that is a retake from lower 160s, and near a 4.0 gpa. I have been beating the early decision thing dead in my head, and just can't come to any conclusions. Would I stand a chance at ED NYU or Columbia? Are the career prospects worth it? I would like to practice law at a large firm (NLJ 250 or at least 100 or 150 attorney practices) in my home secondary market.

A little more...
Money is only somewhat important. A relative will be assisting with some of the tuition wherever I go, but certainly no more than half.

Also, I fell in love with both ann arbor and ithaca when there this summer. While i could see myself in a city, i'm just not sure if i'd like to spend law school in a large one.

Thanks for any advice, I just couldn't get this off my mind, so I thought i'd ask you guys.

Cupidity

Re: ED advice

Postby Cupidity » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:23 am

What is the secondary market?

mapes

Postby mapes » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:26 am

Denver

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:28 am

I'd suggest you skip the ED then. You do have a shot, but if your goal is Denver and you like Ann Arbor, you stand a reasonable shot of getting money from Michigan. There aren't many jobs in Denver that will pay off Columbia's sticker price. Keep that in mind, you may want to mitigate your debt.

mapes

Postby mapes » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:36 am

Cupidity wrote:I'd suggest you skip the ED then. You do have a shot, but if your goal is Denver and you like Ann Arbor, you stand a reasonable shot of getting money from Michigan. There aren't many jobs in Denver that will pay off Columbia's sticker price. Keep that in mind, you may want to mitigate your debt.

I suppose that is just my concern. There are not too many jobs in Denver that pay six figures. I want to get one of those jobs. Which route would be best to secure one of those jobs?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:37 am

mapes wrote:
Cupidity wrote:I'd suggest you skip the ED then. You do have a shot, but if your goal is Denver and you like Ann Arbor, you stand a reasonable shot of getting money from Michigan. There aren't many jobs in Denver that will pay off Columbia's sticker price. Keep that in mind, you may want to mitigate your debt.

I suppose that is just my concern. There are not too many jobs in Denver that pay six figures. I want to get one of those jobs. Which route would be best to secure one of those jobs?

Their placement stats for the region are pretty similar, none of the T-14 seems to have any serious edge. Don't ED, take the cheapest. Stay the hell out of Ithaca though, their CDO is weak.

mapes

Postby mapes » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:45 am

Yeah well I feel like I will have to put in lots of my own extra legwork anyway. The largest Denver firms seem to have cut back on how many schools they are interviewing at.

bostlaw

Postby bostlaw » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:51 am

I would say with a gpa in the 3.9's and a 170 you would certainly "stand a chance" at NYU?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:00 am

ED for CLS and NYU isn't nearly as helpful as ED normally is. Those schools aren't really hurting for qualified candidates.

I'd see how much money you get from the lower T13.

mapes

Postby mapes » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:02 am

Yeah, well I know attorneys who are about 5 to 10 years older than me that told me I would be a "lock" at Harvard or Stanford. Research quickly proved otherwise. Admissions to any of the top schools just seems to get more and more competitive every year.

to poster two above

Postby 09042014 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:06 am

mapes wrote:Yeah, well I know attorneys who are about 5 to 10 years older than me that told me I would be a "lock" at Harvard or Stanford. Research quickly proved otherwise. Admissions to any of the top schools just seems to get more and more competitive every year.

to poster two above

Only proving my point about ED more. They don't need to use ED to fill their class with people with good numbers.

mapes

Postby mapes » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:17 am

Yeah, I agree with you on that Desertfox. Though, what about this perspective: The Denver market was always small. Now the big firms are hiring very new associates, and their summer classes are smaller than ever. If i get shut out of the Denver market (which seems like a real possibility), I want to maximize my chances of grabbing a big firm gig in a large market (to pay off loans and hopefully giving myself options to lateral home later in life); and the lower t13 don't look too promising in that scenario... what do you think?

Edit: t13 don't look AS promising as the t6 or even t10 (sorry i've taken this off topic)

Postby 09042014 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:28 am

mapes wrote:Yeah, I agree with you on that Desertfox. Though, what about this perspective: The Denver market was always small. Now the big firms are hiring very new associates, and their summer classes are smaller than ever. If i get shut out of the Denver market (which seems like a real possibility), I want to maximize my chances of grabbing a big firm gig in a large market (to pay off loans and hopefully giving myself options to lateral home later in life); and the lower t13 don't look too promising in that scenario... what do you think?

Depends how much money money they are offering. Those numbers could very possibly get half tuition at one or more lower T13. They also look pretty damn good for NYU regular decision.

There is also a small shot at HYS.

As to how much money is taking the t13 instead of t6? It depends on how much worse the t13 at doing than the t6. I can't really tell. I'd imagine considerably worse, but 75K worth? Who knows. I know Uchi people with no SA's for next year, so it's not exactly a big law lock.

mapes

Postby mapes » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:45 am

Thank you for the advice. May be tough decisions come the new year.

Dukehopeful2

Postby Dukehopeful2 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:38 am

mapes wrote:Thank you for the advice. May be tough decisions come the new year.

This may be a stupid idea but if you want to practice in Denver, CO(and would stay there) why would you not apply to Boulder and see how much money you get with those stats? I don't see how you could get a better job in Denver than an applicant from the top of her/his class at boulder.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:04 am

Colorado may offer significant money & it's a good bet that every sizable Denver law firm recruits at Boulder, but this would limit your employment options outside of the Rocky Mountain region (although this doesn't address your inquiry concerning ED options).

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:09 am

Dukehopeful2 wrote:
mapes wrote:Thank you for the advice. May be tough decisions come the new year.

This may be a stupid idea but if you want to practice in Denver, CO(and would stay there) why would you not apply to Boulder and see how much money you get with those stats? I don't see how you could get a better job in Denver than an applicant from the top of her/his class at boulder.

Right. That is if you are SURE you want to be in Denver, top of the class at boulder has the same advantages as middle of the class basically anywhere else. AND you won't accrue debt because I can almost guarantee with those stats you'll get some nice $$.

mapes

Postby mapes » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:10 pm

Right, I see where you guys are coming from, and I am applying to CU Boulder as well. I think I would get a large scholarship from there, and could probably finish near the top of the class. Though, I can't bank on that. Very smart and motivated people go to CU law, just like the others. If i finish outside the top 10 percent in Boulder I'm afraid i would find myself up a creek. I think it could work, I am just not willing to take that risk.

mapes

Postby mapes » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:53 pm

Basically, CU is a fabulous school that is getting trumped by this economy. They were always second in line to kids wanting to come home from the top schools. Now second in line just happens to push them out the door.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”