Fee Waiver questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
applepiecrust

Fee Waiver questions

Postby applepiecrust » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:10 am

Do law schools send out fee waivers based on the September/October scores as well? How soon after the score release are those waivers usually sent out?

Finally, is it worth waiting for the fee waivers, which may or may not turn up, or is it better to simply turn in the application as soon as possible (i.e. as soon as the scores are released)?

justadude55

Re: Fee Waiver questions

Postby justadude55 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:45 am

applepiecrust wrote:Do law schools send out fee waivers based on the September/October scores as well? How soon after the score release are those waivers usually sent out?

Finally, is it worth waiting for the fee waivers, which may or may not turn up, or is it better to simply turn in the application as soon as possible (i.e. as soon as the scores are released)?

you can just ask. if your gpa is high enough, most schools would give gpa based fee waivers. they won't hold it against you for asking. i don't think they read into it any deeper than that you want to save some cash.

but you still have to pay $12 to process so don't apply to crappy ass schools that you're def not gonna consider and that you can't use to negotiate scholarships.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:46 am

Are you asking because you received some fee waivers recently? I got two today...but it could be because of my crap LSAT score from December... I do remember some speculation about people getting fee waivers and if law schools could see LSAT scores before you. I think everyone agreed that was ridiculous.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:50 am

bartleby wrote:Are you asking because you received some fee waivers recently? I got two today...but it could be because of my crap LSAT score from December... I do remember some speculation about people getting fee waivers and if law schools could see LSAT scores before you. I think everyone agreed that was ridiculous.

i doubt that's true, but i'm sure lsac would reveal that info.

you also can't get fee waivers if you haven't paid for cas. the moment i paid, i got them day after day. a lot of schools will say if you ask for a fee waiver, they only do it through cas (i guess cause they cant confirm the #'s you tell them until you apply).

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:52 am

But I got CAS this afternoon and have gotten fee waivers before through email before that in the last 6 months.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:54 am

I have CAS already; however, I do not have an LSAT score yet (won't until Saturday's test scores are released), so there is no reason for me to get fee waivers already.

I'm just wondering if law schools do another round of merit-based fee waivers based on the October LSAT scores.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:55 am

bartleby wrote:But I got CAS this afternoon and have gotten fee waivers before through email before that in the last 6 months.

were they schools not so hotly ranked?

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:55 am

I took the Sept. test last year and the waivers started arriving 1-2 days after the score release.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:56 am

applepiecrust wrote:I have CAS already; however, I do not have an LSAT score yet (won't until Saturday's test scores are released), so there is no reason for me to get fee waivers already.

I'm just wondering if law schools do another round of merit-based fee waivers based on the October LSAT scores.

i'm 99% sure they do... maybe not as intense. part of the fee waiver i'd imagine is word of mouth, like when a restaurant gives out free appetizers to spread publicity. these are businesses, after all.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:58 am

justadude55 wrote:
bartleby wrote:But I got CAS this afternoon and have gotten fee waivers before through email before that in the last 6 months.

Yeah, no hot schools- the best schools were Minnesota (which I think they were just trying to reject me - actually they had to) and UGA (they might've been trying to reject me too) and William and Mary (same as above).

Man, my self confidence is so high from this site.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:02 am

bartleby wrote:
justadude55 wrote:

Yeah, no hot schools- the best schools were Minnesota (which I think they were just trying to reject me - actually they had to) and UGA (they might've been trying to reject me too) and William and Mary (same as above).

i find it hard to believe these schools approached u and fee waivered u with no lsat or registered gpa......

they aren't t-14, but they're all safely tier 1. i thought u meant like mich state.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:06 am

justadude55 wrote:
bartleby wrote:
justadude55 wrote:

i find it hard to believe these schools approached u and fee waivered u with no lsat or registered gpa......

they aren't t-14, but they're all safely tier 1. i thought u meant like mich state.

I took an LSAT though, I just didn't purchase CAS until today. Sorry for the confusion. I think they see your score despite not having CAS.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:30 pm

maybe. i do not mean to be rude, but i personally do not think that schools of this caliber would be sending you fee waivers without viewing your credentials. these are all very good schools that do not accept people below the 90th percentile very often so i would imagine they verify this info.

padthai

Postby padthai » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:52 pm

With a GPA of 3.8, what LSAT scores usually qualify for fee waivers?
Say for the Columbia/Chicago/NYU group and the rest of the T14 from Upenn onwards.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:35 pm

padthai wrote:With a GPA of 3.8, what LSAT scores usually qualify for fee waivers?
Say for the Columbia/Chicago/NYU group and the rest of the T14 from Upenn onwards.

normally, a pt above the median starts 'em.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:20 am

I've heard people get most waivers within a week after the oct/sept test score release day.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”