Why Tulane/Indiana/Minnesota Essays...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Why Tulane/Indiana/Minnesota Essays...

Postby WashingtonJew » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:29 pm

Sorry if this thread is elsewhere - I was wondering if it is OK/encouraged in these essays to mention location or a school's specific program. I know, for example, that some undergraduate schools in their "Why?" essays mention explicitly not to discuss location as a factor.

How long should these essays typically be and what is the best format?

Re: Why Tulane/Indiana/Minnesota Essays...

Postby volcom_sig » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:47 pm

I'm just speaking from what I've seen/heard in regards to Tulane (I'm also applying), but I think location is a pretty big deal. I currently live in New Orleans and there is a lot of talk about the state of things here and about improvements in the last couple of years (my current job deals with housing, rebuilding, etc.) so I think talking about the location CAN be a very important and viable reason for attending. I'm certainly going to mention location as a reason why I want to go to school in New Orleans (social need, opportunities to pursue related legal interests, etc.)

There was a recent TLS Addendum piece that talked about what to include and specific programs are a definite thing to hit on. It shows that you've done your homework and shows that you've given some thought to how you will spend your time in law school and how that factors into your career goals. One of the reasons I'm interested in Tulane is that they have the only Sexuality and Law journal in the country and I'm big on LGBT rights.

As for length, I haven't started my "why" essay yet, but I don't plan on writing more than two paragraphs. It's not a personal statement so it shouldn't be that long and I think it should be succinct and well thought out out. I'm not going to gush about how Tulane is great and it's my first choice, but I am simply going to state why I chose to apply, what SPECIFIC factors influenced me and how I will use those factors to be a successful law student/lawyer.

Again, this is just from what I have gathered on this site and talking to people. I'm actually meeting with a Tulane Admin Officer on Friday so I'll let you know if I hear anything else.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:50 pm

I think even Indiana and Minnesota's adcoms would be incredulous about someone say their location is a selling point.

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:54 pm

It's okay to mention location if the law school is located on ground donated by your family & in a building paid for by your grandparents.

Postby vegenator » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:58 pm

I went to U MN's campus visit on Monday and the admissions council guy said that they really, really like to see at least one paragraph explaining why you'd want to go to UMN in your Personal Statement. He said in the paragraph you should mention classes you'd like, resources the school offers, clinics etc. No mention of location or other personal reasons. So, I'd say just stick to academic/professional reasons in your Why UMN paragraph/essay. He said that you can submit additional essays and they promise to read everthing (even if quickly), so the why UMN doesn't necessarily have to be incorporated into your PS.

For what its worth, I just inserted a "why UMN" paragraph into my PS.

Good luck!

Postby mcubberly » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

I go to undergrad at Tulane, and the relatively laid-back administration/professors are pretty awesome too. I'm interested in IP, and multiple law students I've met at work have told me I should email the IP professors. They say they're really accessible and would meet with a random undergrad, which is really cool.

Postby WashingtonJew » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:52 pm

Thank You!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”