Do you need to tailor a Part Time APP?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
btr77

Do you need to tailor a Part Time APP?

Postby btr77 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:14 pm

So I have been working professionally in DC for the last two years, and so to me it makes sense to apply to my area schools PT. The obvious reason is I would like to keep a solid pay check as long as possible. The other, perhaps more obvious reason, is that I clearly have a better chance PT vs. FT. However, do I need to prove to admissions solely that I am a good candidate, or do I need to prove that I am a good PART TIME candidate?

I have a good government job with a security clearance, but I am far from a 30 year old mid level corporate accountant looking for a career change, if you know what I mean. I guess what I'm saying is, can people really just apply PT because of the seemingly "relaxed" standards, or do you have to fit a part-time "mold?" Building off of that, I would also like to apply PT to some schools in my home NYC. Even though I fully intend to work while enrolled, am I a weaker PT candidate there because I do not currently have a job there?

Please advise

BTW...I'm a 163/3.6 looking to PT at GWU, FORDHAM, GMU

btr77

Re: Do you need to tailor a Part Time APP?

Postby btr77 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:15 pm

Aaaanyone? lol, no one else is wondering/ has dealt with this?

ViIIager

Postby ViIIager » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:24 pm

Apply like normal. At least at GMU, I haven't seen any major difference in full-time or part-time applicants--in fact, one quarter of this year's 1E (part-time) class is unemployed and were placed the evening program by making the mistake of checking both the "Full-time" and "Part-time" boxes on their app. Your day job would be a good source for a personal statement though.

Also, not to spook you, but I'd apply to more schools. GWU is pretty much a no-go with your stats, and GMU is questionable. You'll be in at American and Catholic, probably with some sort of partial scholarship, if you want to stay in the DC area.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:21 pm

Always tailor everything to a school that you want to go to. Full time or part time is irrelevant since many part timers enroll with the intentions of moving up to full time during 2L.

With your numbers Id say you have a shot at GMU, an outside shot at Fordham and a very small chance at GWU.

While part time programs are geared toward the working student, you dont always have to be one in order to gain acceptance via part time. A lot of part time students dont work. Since youre older and you have good work experience, put an emphasis on that. Your work experience can work to your advantage.

Good luck!

btr77

Postby btr77 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:12 am

Great advice, thanks guys. And to your point Villager, I only listed the schools I intend to apply pt; I have plenty of others I am shooting for full time.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”