Critique my grade addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lalalawya

Critique my grade addendum?

Postby lalalawya » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:03 pm

I am writing one only because the first GPA listed on my transcript is a 2.67 (took a college course during high school and wasn't as prepared as I should have been), but my GPA (not acculmative) last semester was a 4.0.

As visible in my transcript, I have had a upward grade trend. With the exception of summer 2009, I have achieved at least a 3.5 GPA over the most recent three semesters, reaching a 4.0 GPA this past spring semester. The brief lapse during the summer of 2009 can be accredited to the fact that I was in the midst of dealing with newly arisen health and family issues, neither of which are impeding my academics any longer. I do hope you will take this into consideration when evaluating my application.

Mr. T

Re: Critique my grade addendum?

Postby Mr. T » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:28 pm

Here’s what I came up with as I will also be writing about my early grades. Keep in mind, however, that I am a non-traditional student:

As is visible in my transcript, I have had an upward grade trend over the last two and a half years while pursuing my undergraduate degree. My early grades, from the late nineteen-eighties and early nineteen-nineties, no longer represent me as a student or my potential to succeed in law school. In hindsight, I was young, immature, and not ready for the challenges of college at the age of eighteen. Twenty years later, finishing up my degree, I recently graduated Magna Cum Laude with a 3.89 GPA from my degree granting institution.

Additionally, having been to ten colleges, the LSAC academic report you see in front of you represents only eight of those schools. My LSAC cumulative GPA of 2.93 does not fully represent the breadth of my academic endeavors and, when those additional grades are factored in, my cumulative GPA rises to a 3.01 using the LSAC formula. These two additional schools are represented on my degree granting institutions record and full transcripts were made available to LSAC and should have been made available to you as well.

I would hope that the admission committee would consider both of these factors when evaluating my application.

My situation is a bit different – but any advice, thoughts, etc. would be welcomed!

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:31 pm

Mr. T wrote:Here’s what I came up with as I will also be writing about my early grades. Keep in mind, however, that I am a non-traditional student:

As is visible in my transcript, I have had an upward grade trend over the last two and a half years while pursuing my undergraduate degree. My early grades, from the late nineteen-eighties and early nineteen-nineties, no longer represent me as a student or my potential to succeed in law school. In hindsight, I was young, immature, and not ready for the challenges of college at the age of eighteen. Twenty years later, finishing up my degree, I recently graduated Magna Cum Laude with a 3.89 GPA from my degree granting institution.

Additionally, having been to ten colleges, the LSAC academic report you see in front of you represents only eight of those schools. My LSAC cumulative GPA of 2.93 does not fully represent the breadth of my academic endeavors and, when those additional grades are factored in, my cumulative GPA rises to a 3.01 using the LSAC formula. These two additional schools are represented on my degree granting institutions record and full transcripts were made available to LSAC and should have been made available to you as well.

I would hope that the admission committee would consider both of these factors when evaluating my application.

My situation is a bit different – but any advice, thoughts, etc. would be welcomed!

you went to TEN colleges?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:39 pm

OP: I do not think that an addendum is appropriate in your case--unless I misunderstand your situation. Regardless of whether it is called for or not, your example is not as clear & concise as it should be.

CONSIDER: My poor academic performance during the summer of 2009 was due, in large part, to temporary health & family issues.

CONSIDER: My disappointing academic performance during the summer of 2009 was due largely to now resolved health & family issues.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr. T

Postby Mr. T » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:42 pm

Yes, I went to ten colleges..... some community colleges (for 1 or 2 classes) and then moved ....but, yes....10 total schools.

Any thoughts on the addendum I put together?

lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:33 pm

Thank you! Your revision is helpful.

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: I do not think that an addendum is appropriate in your case--unless I misunderstand your situation. Regardless of whether it is called for or not, your example is not as clear & concise as it should be.

CONSIDER: My poor academic performance during the summer of 2009 was due, in large part, to temporary health & family issues.

CONSIDER: My disappointing academic performance during the summer of 2009 was due largely to now resolved health & family issues.

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:00 pm

I am writing one only because the first GPA listed on my transcript is a 2.67 (took a college course during high school and wasn't as prepared as I should have been), but my GPA (not acculmative) last semester was a 4.0.

As visible in my transcript, I have had a upward grade trend. With the exception of summer 2009, I have achieved at least a 3.5 GPA over the most recent three semesters, reaching a 4.0 GPA this past spring semester. The brief lapse during the summer of 2009 can be accredited to the fact that I was in the midst of dealing with newly arisen health and family issues, neither of which are impeding my academics any longer. I do hope you will take this into consideration when evaluating my application.

This sounds like you are making excuses. The only thing there worth talking about are the health/family issues. To the extent you can, name those issues (you don't need to tell us about them). "I just beat cancer and my whole family died in a horrible accident" is a lot more compelling than "I had the flu and I got into a political argument with my brother".

shoop

Postby shoop » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:52 pm

Mr. T wrote:Yes, I went to ten colleges..... some community colleges (for 1 or 2 classes) and then moved ....but, yes....10 total schools.

And I thought Sarah Palin needed a lot of schools to get a bachelor's...

edubs003

Postby edubs003 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:54 pm

I don't think you need to point out one semester of low grades. They can see that you have a good GPA and one semester of alright grades isn't worth mentioning. Unless you failed or did really bad. I'd say if the semester is over a 3.0 then you shouldn't put an addendum.

edubs003

Postby edubs003 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:55 pm

I'm actually in the same boat. Cumulative 3.0 but my last 60 credit hours averaged 3.48.

Mr. T

Postby Mr. T » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:36 am

shoop wrote:
Mr. T wrote:Yes, I went to ten colleges..... some community colleges (for 1 or 2 classes) and then moved ....but, yes....10 total schools.

And I thought Sarah Palin needed a lot of schools to get a bachelor's...

You will be my BIOTCH one day, Shoop. Mark my words.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:59 am

edubs003 wrote:I'm actually in the same boat. Cumulative 3.0 but my last 60 credit hours averaged 3.48.

In general, I don't think these kinds of cases warrant an addendum...they get your transcripts and can see your trend.

Mr. T

Postby Mr. T » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:04 am

Any thoughts on this addendum:

Grade Point Average Addendum

I have had an upward grade trend over the last two and a half years while pursuing my undergraduate degree. My early grades, from the late nineteen-eighties and early nineteen-nineties, no longer represent me as a student or my potential to succeed in law school. In hindsight, I was young, immature, and not ready for the challenges of college. Additionally, working full time during these early years of my academic career negatively impacted my grades. Twenty years later, finishing up my degree, I recently graduated Magna Cum Laude with a 3.89 GPA from my degree granting institution.

Additionally, having been to ten colleges, the LSAC academic report you see in front of you represents only eight of those schools. My LSAC cumulative GPA of 2.93 does not fully represent the breadth of my academic endeavors and, when those additional grades are factored in, my cumulative GPA rises to a 3.01 using the LSAC formula. These two additional schools are represented on my degree granting institutions record and full transcripts were made available to LSAC and should be available to you as well.

I would hope that the admission committee would consider both of these points when evaluating my application.

Mr. T

Postby Mr. T » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:34 am

Any thoughts regarding the above addendum would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to send out a few apps ASAP :) Thanks!

edubs003

Postby edubs003 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:30 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
edubs003 wrote:I'm actually in the same boat. Cumulative 3.0 but my last 60 credit hours averaged 3.48.

In general, I don't think these kinds of cases warrant an addendum...they get your transcripts and can see your trend.

Well I'm already writing an addendum for increasing my LSAT score so I thought pointing that out might help.

Mr. T

Postby Mr. T » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:12 am

In addition to the grade addendum I posted above - could someone give me some feedback on this addendum regarding a juvenile arrest. Thanks!

Juvenile Addendum

In 1987, at the age of 17, I stole a check from the summer camp where I was employed and cashed it. I was subsequently arrested, went to court, and placed on one year probation. This was a juvenile offense for which I take full responsibility. At the time there were rumors that we were soon to be laid off and my solution was to take a check and pay myself for the work I had done the previous two weeks. This decision was childish, selfish, and showed a complete disregard for the owners of the camp who had treated me well.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:38 am

Mr. T wrote:In addition to the grade addendum I posted above - could someone give me some feedback on this addendum regarding a juvenile arrest. Thanks!

Juvenile Addendum

In 1987, at the age of 17, I stole a check from the summer camp where I was employed and cashed it. I was subsequently arrested, went to court, and placed on one year probation. This was a juvenile offense for which I take full responsibility. At the time there were rumors that we were soon to be laid off and my solution was to take a check and pay myself for the work I had done the previous two weeks. This decision was childish, selfish, and showed a complete disregard for the owners of the camp who had treated me well.

Looks good. Two minor notes. I'd title it "Juvenile Record Addendum" or something along those lines instead of merely "Juvenile Addendum" as that makes it seem like the Addendum itself is childish or young.
Also, in the second to last sentence I would replace "we" with "my coworkers and I" as we is a little ambiguous.

Mr. T

Postby Mr. T » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:43 am

Thanks LWOODS! Here is my revision:

In 1987, at the age of 17, I stole a check from the summer camp where I was employed and cashed it. I was subsequently arrested, went to court, and placed on one year probation. This was a juvenile offense for which I take full responsibility. At the time there were rumors that my coworkers and I were soon to be laid off and my solution was to take a check and pay myself for the work I had done the previous two weeks. This decision was childish, selfish, and showed a complete disregard for the owners of the camp who had treated me well.

Mr. T

Postby Mr. T » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:45 am

LWOODS, Any thoughts on the grade addendum I had posted earlier in the thread?

lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:34 pm

The part about rumors seems like you are trying to make excuses for your actions. I would cut out that part and just go directly to "it was childish...etc."

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”