Addendums

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wwaideli

Addendums

Postby wwaideli » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:38 am

I have at least 1 addendum I'll need to write and maybe a 2nd 1 depending on the school.

1st, I was involved in a fight at my undergrad school during fall of my freshman year (7 years ago). I was placed on disciplinary probation by the school for 1 semester. I have nothing else in this area working against me. I have a 3.4 GPA and expect an LSAT between 168-173. How much will this effect my chances of acceptance at schools in this range. Should I lower my expectations or should it have little to no effect?

2nd, and probably more unique to my situation. I took the LSAT in Oct. 2005 and scored in the low 160's, as I mention above I expect my LSAT score this time around to be significantly higher. While some schools don't ask for an addendumn, what should I do about schools that ask for an addendumn but claim to only look at the last 3 years or exactly the last 5 years (December 2005 on)? Talking with LSAC, this score will be sent to schools, but should I send an addendum if it is outside the schools guidelines for a score that they claim they will look at?

Any help would be great, especially on the 2nd item, but also on the first if anyone has any experience.

wwaideli

Re: Addendums

Postby wwaideli » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:47 pm

moving it back up, since it seems to be getting alot of views, but no responses.

etown989

Postby etown989 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:34 pm

Probably the reason it is getting a lot of views, but no responses is b/c a fight 7 years ago is not a big deal. For the second question you should email the schools and ask if they will accept the score for 2005. If you plan on taking the LSAT again and if you have a higher score than before it might even be better to not include the previous score.

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:44 pm

wwaideli wrote:I have at least 1 addendum I'll need to write and maybe a 2nd 1 depending on the school.

1st, I was involved in a fight at my undergrad school during fall of my freshman year (7 years ago). I was placed on disciplinary probation by the school for 1 semester. I have nothing else in this area working against me. I have a 3.4 GPA and expect an LSAT between 168-173. How much will this effect my chances of acceptance at schools in this range. Should I lower my expectations or should it have little to no effect?

2nd, and probably more unique to my situation. I took the LSAT in Oct. 2005 and scored in the low 160's, as I mention above I expect my LSAT score this time around to be significantly higher. While some schools don't ask for an addendumn, what should I do about schools that ask for an addendumn but claim to only look at the last 3 years or exactly the last 5 years (December 2005 on)? Talking with LSAC, this score will be sent to schools, but should I send an addendum if it is outside the schools guidelines for a score that they claim they will look at?

Any help would be great, especially on the 2nd item, but also on the first if anyone has any experience.

1. I wouldn't bother with an addendum. Unless there were really extenuating circumstances, all the addendum does is bring attention to something they might otherwise miss.

2. No addendum for LSAT unless you bombed the first time because you became violently ill during the test.

wwaideli

Postby wwaideli » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:48 pm

Thats kind of what I thought on the disciplinary. But, now that I've the LSAT is out of my hands, I seem to be finding little things to worry about.

On the LSAT, its not really a question of having a choice to report it as it will show up on the LSAC score report sent to schools, but I agree, I'll probably need to contact school individually to see if they'll need an addendum. That being said, I do feel like a "Now that I've finished school and been working for a few years and grown as a person, I feel that my most recent score is more accurate" type of answer, can provide a good reason without an excuse. I just took the Oct. 2010 test, so I'm just waiting to see what my score will be. I'm figuring between 168-173 is a safe bet, as my average on my practice tests was 172, with a low of 168 and a high of 177. My practices last time were a good indicator of my score last time and I didn't have any O sh** moments last weekend.

wwaideli

Postby wwaideli » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:51 pm

I'm pretty sure the disciplinary would end up in a Dean's Cert or on a Bar Fitness review, and if it will have little to no effect.

If asked a question that about it, I can't see why I would take the risk in not reporting it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”