Any help much appreciated..

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
phannahan44

Any help much appreciated..

Postby phannahan44 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:20 am

So I graduated in May 2009 and went to China to teach English; I've just returned to the US and registered yesterday for the December LSAT. I know that applying later in the "cycle" is disadvantageous but I would like to start law school during the fall of next year, so am planning on applying during this cycle, albeit late.

So, I'm wondering if I should apply NOW, before even knowing what my LSAT score will be? I would rather not, for the most obvious reason being I would rather base the schools I apply to around what I score on the test. Don't have a clue really what I will eventually get but am planning on studying an awful lot during the next two months.

Should I get my recommendations done now, personal statement, transcripts ordered etc? What is the "Credential Assembly Service (CAS)?" and is registration mandatory? Is it possible to submit all of the pertinent application "stuff" to the schools before I even take the LSAT? Is this wise? I know this is jumbled and I'm asking a lot; any light y'all could shed on any of these issues would be much, much appreciated. I'm sure a lot of folks registered for the December LSAT are in the same boat.

I've looked around to try and find the answers to these extremely common questions, and was able to find great information but am still a bit unsure. No internet in China, getting reacquainted with the ol' Web :0

Thanks.

Mr. T

Re: Any help much appreciated..

Postby Mr. T » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:23 am

go to: http://www.lsac.org and poke around - all of your questions are answered there.

SullaFelix

Postby SullaFelix » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:28 am

phannahan44 wrote:So I graduated in May 2009 and went to China to teach English; I've just returned to the US and registered yesterday for the December LSAT. I know that applying later in the "cycle" is disadvantageous but I would like to start law school during the fall of next year, so am planning on applying during this cycle, albeit late.

So, I'm wondering if I should apply NOW, before even knowing what my LSAT score will be? I would rather not, for the most obvious reason being I would rather base the schools I apply to around what I score on the test. Don't have a clue really what I will eventually get but am planning on studying an awful lot during the next two months.

Should I get my recommendations done now, personal statement, transcripts ordered etc? What is the "Credential Assembly Service (CAS)?" and is registration mandatory? Is it possible to submit all of the pertinent application "stuff" to the schools before I even take the LSAT? Is this wise? I know this is jumbled and I'm asking a lot; any light y'all could shed on any of these issues would be much, much appreciated. I'm sure a lot of folks registered for the December LSAT are in the same boat.

I've looked around to try and find the answers to these extremely common questions, and was able to find great information but am still a bit unsure. No internet in China, getting reacquainted with the ol' Web :0

Thanks.

It's really up to you whether you start applying immediately when you have everything except for your LSAT ready to go, but there's absolutely zero reason not to have all your essays, transcripts and recommendations finalized before then.

Mr. T

Postby Mr. T » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:52 am

I'd be interested in hearing how you went about getting your teaching position in China and about the experience itself.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:08 am

Mr. T wrote:I'd be interested in hearing how you went about getting your teaching position in China and about the experience itself.

There are many agencies that help you secure positions in China. And depending on which city you choose, the experience can be as Chinese as you like, or as American as you like.

Mr. T

Postby Mr. T » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:38 am

can you elaborate - as I have always had an interest in living abroad and teaching (if law school doesn't pan out - or- needs to be put on hold for a while).

upalittletoolate

Postby upalittletoolate » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:42 am

Mr. T wrote:can you elaborate - as I have always had an interest in living abroad and teaching (if law school doesn't pan out - or- needs to be put on hold for a while).

Mr. T wrote:go to: http://www.google.com and poke around - all of your questions are answered there.

Mr. T

Postby Mr. T » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:43 am

that question was direct to rx-phily

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:00 pm

Mr. T wrote:that question was direct to rx-phily

PM me with some info and what you are looking for and I will try find the links/info for you. When I visited my hometown a couple years ago I came across quite a few English teaching Americans at local universities. You can direct apply to whatever area you want, but agencies are more efficient and have wider network.

You can also try to search on baidu.com. Google doesn't pick up Chinese sites very well. Baidu must have monopoly in China and manage to block Google crawler/bots.

Mr. T

Postby Mr. T » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:14 pm

Will do. Thanks!

anstud06

Postby anstud06 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:34 pm

The only thing that is "disadvantageous" is not having the best LSAT score you're capable of. If you don't get that score this time, you still have the next cycle to get into the best school you can (and multiple chances to test again - Feb, June, Oct, Dec). You shouldn't just go to whatever law school will take you from the one LSAT score you get in December (presuming it isn't the best you're capable of).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”