Letter of Recommendation Discussion

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should I use my High School counselor as a recommender?

Yes
7%
No
93%

Total votes: 14

TJISMYHERO

Letter of Recommendation Discussion

Postby TJISMYHERO » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:41 pm

I have thus far gathered three letters of recommendation. Two from professors in upper-level, major specific classes, and one from my high-school counselor. I am wondering whether anyone has used a recommendation drafted by someone from their adolescence and whether they thought it was beneficial to do so.

I had a rather close relationship with my high school counselor who helped me switch from a non-accredited private school to public school, taking a ton of credit by examination courses, which enabled me to graduate from public high school in just two and a half years. We are still in regular communication. My counselor has a long history in the education field, having served as the dean of admissions at my undergrad institution for ten years, before that he taught and served as dean of the college of education at a different school.

He recommends me quite highly, and draws especially on his ability to recognize a dedicated student etc. He and I met over lunch and I had the opportunity to read over the rec. before he sent it. I believe it is quite good, since it highlights all the basics I believe an admissions committee is looking for.

I plan on sending all three letters to schools that allow me to do so. Do you think using his recommendation at schools which only allow two will harm my app. since he was my high-school counselor as opposed to a college professor?

lalalawya

Re: Letter of Recommendation Discussion

Postby lalalawya » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:47 pm

I would def. only send the two LOR's coming from your profs to the schools that will only take two and maybe those that merely recomment two. Considering your counselor has not worked with you in the academic sense in at least four years, I am sure whatever they would have to say would be taken into minimal consideration by the adcomms. I think the counselor almost falls under the "friends" category, as you have maintained contact with him/her but they have had no experience or direct involvement with your college work or employment.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:59 pm

LOR's should either be from professors or, if you've been out of school a while, a supervisor / boss.

That's really it.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:00 pm

kalvano wrote:LOR's should either be from professors or, if you've been out of school a while, a supervisor / boss.

That's really it.

Postby 12262010 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:02 pm

wut? no.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”