LOR question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
abarrios

LOR question

Postby abarrios » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:29 pm

I am currently in undergrad. I planned on sending 2 academic LOR's and 1 LOR from my employer; however, one of my academic LORs recently backed out. So, now I only have 1 academic LOR and the LOR from my employer. I have seen both letters and I think they are very strong.

How negatively will only having one academic LOR affect my applications?

My numbers are 164/3.76/Mex-Amer URM

Thanks.

lalalawya

Re: LOR question

Postby lalalawya » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:57 pm

It depends; if the application specifically states they require three it would probably hurt you a little. They may view this as a representation of your inability to follow directions (even if it honestly isn't). If this is not the case, I don't think it would hurt only having two, but it would certainly help if you were able to find one more professor to write another academic letter...after all, law school is a school, not a potential employer.

abarrios

Postby abarrios » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:31 pm

lalalawya wrote:It depends; if the application specifically states they require three it would probably hurt you a little. They may view this as a representation of your inability to follow directions (even if it honestly isn't). If this is not the case, I don't think it would hurt only having two, but it would certainly help if you were able to find one more professor to write another academic letter...after all, law school is a school, not a potential employer.

Thanks, I'm thinking about getting another professor to do an evaluation for me rather than writing a letter. I don't think I can find another stellar academic LOR.

Any other thoughts?

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:41 pm

abarrios wrote:if the application specifically states they require three it would probably hurt you a little.

I don't think any schools require three that I know of. Anyone know otherwise?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:51 pm

AP-375 wrote:
abarrios wrote:if the application specifically states they require three it would probably hurt you a little.

I don't know any that require 3, but Yale requires 2 academic.
Since you're still in UG, I imagine some (if not most) that require two letters will wonder why you couldn't get a second academic letter.

edubs003

Postby edubs003 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:53 pm

AP-375 wrote:

The only one that I've seen requiring 3 is WVU.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”