148 LSAT. 2.84 gpa

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Pmac

Re: 148 LSAT. 2.84 gpa

Postby Pmac » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:20 pm

You know what they say about assumptions...you have no idea what I do for a living.

kehoema2

Postby kehoema2 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:23 pm

Or you could apply now.....Study for the LSAT.....See the outcome.....Take the June/October test and reapply next year....

OP it sucks, but consider how much going into 6 digits of debt and not being able to land a job would suck.

Pmac

Postby Pmac » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:25 pm

kehoema2 wrote:Or you could apply now.....Study for the LSAT.....See the outcome.....Take the June/October test and reapply next year....

OP it sucks, but consider how much going into 6 digits of debt and not being able to land a job would suck.

For truth

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:28 pm

Pmac wrote:Well thanks for the replies everybody, I guess I'll have to weigh my options and pursue the one that best fits my current situation.

ie. apply now and hope for the best...

If I were you I'd retake in December and then apply. Don't be naive, you have no chance of getting in with those numbers. If you're serious about going to law school then you'd retake the LSAT in December. The tiny benefit that you would receive from applying early is less advantageous than applying in December with a higher LSAT score.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:30 pm

I take it back, this flame has worked out well for you OP. Sometimes the simplest things are the best.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:31 pm

Veyron wrote:
capitalacq wrote:
Veyron wrote:You can't spell flame without LAME. In the future, I encourage you to be more innovative, a little bit of effort goes a long way!

you're an awful poster

Orly?

Rly.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:32 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:
Veyron wrote:
capitalacq wrote:
Veyron wrote:You can't spell flame without LAME. In the future, I encourage you to be more innovative, a little bit of effort goes a long way!

you're an awful poster

Orly?

Rly.

Ding, correct response was "yes really"

lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:11 pm

If you are really dead-set on applying now without re-taking the LSAT, consider applying for the schools part-time programs...unfortunately, you probably would not be accepted into their full-time programs right off the bat, but a lot of schools allow you to update your status to full-time after a semester or two...

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:01 pm

Unless you can raise your LSAT score by at least 10 points I would not attempt to go to law school.

Two important questions:
Why do you want to go to law school?
Do you have a stable, well-paying job right now? If so, please realize your prospects coming out of some of the schools you mentioned will probably put you in a position that is considerably not as good as where you are now, but with the fun addition of a lot of debt.

hokie

Postby hokie » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:22 pm

Although it may sometimes appear harsh, there is validity to the statement that you should at the very least retake the LSAT. If after months of studying raising your score substantially doesn't seem feasible, I would then consider reevaluating law school in the immediate future, at least until the legal market gets better. Unfortunately, although the LSAT and what school you attend may not be the best indicator of your success as lawyer, in today's "system" it IS the best indicator and hence the reason why attending lower T1 (~50-100) schools entails serious evaluations for attending law schools....yet alone T2/T3 schools.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:31 pm

Intramural sports? Don't bother retaking, you are IN. Aim higher.

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:36 pm

what's with the obsession with calling people flames? these are legitimate questions. leave people alone

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:43 pm

i say dont take the december test. Get the LRB and LGB and read them cover to cover. Get as many prep tests as you can. Drill each question type until you understand every little thing about it ( premises, conclusions, gaps, what the right answer does, what the wrong answers do). Do untimed sections, then timed sections. Then go on to full length prep tests. Aim for the June LSAT.

with a 2.84 and a 148, you wont be getting into any law school. OP, you are going to have to sit out another year and start applying in the fall of 2011. If you are dead set on law, try to get a job in a law firm. If you are considering other career paths, then start looking into those ( keep your options open)...

best of luck

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:50 pm

kwais wrote:

what's with the obsession with calling people flames? these are legitimate questions. leave people alone

Its difficult to immagine that anyone who had these numbers for realz would have the initiative to find this site. Also, threads with numbers this low on both counts have often been flames historicaly.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:53 pm

Veyron wrote:Its difficult to immagine that anyone who had these numbers for realz would have the initiative to find this site. Also, threads with numbers this low on both counts have often been flames historicaly.

When practicing douchery, at least spell-check.
/douchery

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:54 pm

Veyron wrote:
CGI Fridays wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Orly?

Rly.

Actually it was Ya Rly ("yeah, really" would also have been acceptable).

Idiot.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:55 pm

St.Remy wrote:
Veyron wrote:
CGI Fridays wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Orly?

Rly.

Actually it was Ya Rly ("yeah, really" would also have been acceptable).

Idiot.

Orly?

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:58 pm

I take it this is an established reference.
Link plz?

Also, OP, very sorry about the mess.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:03 am

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:05 am

Thx.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:28 am

I support the new direction this thread has taken. More wiki links to internet memes please.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:04 am

OP: it's very likely that this link will help.

hellojd

Postby hellojd » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:55 am

OP, what's your current situation? Are you working or in school?

You should really reconsider law school man. With your numbers, even if you do get in somewhere, it will be at sticker or close to it. Going to a t4 while paying a lot is NOT advisable. To put it in perspective, people here are very worried to go over 1/2 price at any school ranked below perhaps 20 or 30 on USNews, let alone a T2 on down.

Perhaps consider bschool if you have some WE. Bschools are more forgiving on the GPA (not the top ones, but the T2), and if you can get a decent score on the GMAT (I'm assuming math may be your stronger suit, with that low of an LSAT) you could get into a decent MBA program.

Best of luck.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:58 am

Pmac wrote:So I bombed the LSAT (obviously), have a lower GPA, and am wondering what my chances are for admission to a few specific schools (hamline, William Mitchell, and university of st Thomas). I graduated from the university of Kansas with a BA in geology. I averaged over a 3.2 gpa over my last two years, participated in multitude of intramural sports and campus clubs, participated in a pre- law institute at Cambridge in England through the university of Kansas. I have glowing recommendation letters from professors, one who is a region admin for the EPA and is a professor for the law school at KU. What are my chance and how can I maximize my credentials for admission?

Flame ... No one at the University of Kansas can find England on a map, let alone set up a pre-law institute at Cambridge (In England, of course).

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:01 am

I can't believe some of the bad information, not to mention rude posters here.

I am been a tax attorney in business for over thirty years. Let me share some insights to you.

First, I have found that the LSAT is a VERY poor test for law school admission. This is particularly true because of its severaly timed nature. It is unbelievable that the law schools place such as high emphasis on it. However, the test does have a huge impact on admission,and we have to live with it.

Secondly, it is my understanding that the logic games portion of the test,which can be studied for, is only 25% of the entire exam. Thus, suggesting that someone restudy the logic games portion alone may not really help them. It depends on how badly they did on that section in the first place and how much they studied for the test. Frankly, if I had to retake the test, I would focus heavily on critical reading,which represents 50% of the test, unless my understanding of these percentages is incorrect.

Third: Again, how hard did you study for the test? I certianly would retake it, but if you studied a lot and still didn't do well, you will probalby not improve doing the same thing. The definition of idiocy is expecting different results doing the same thing. Try a different approach. Work on your weakest areas. If necessary, take another review course,but change what you were doing.

Finally, assess your career goals. Yes, getting into a law firm from a bottom rung law school won't be an easy task,but it isn't impossible. Consider less competitive paths such as government, public defender's office,working in accounting firms or consulting firms. Keep an open mind. I would also write articles. Law firm partners are impressed by those that have published several articles.

Also, there are many open fields such as tax where you don't need a top law school credential. Consider working and training in some of these fields.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”