Retake Applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justadude55

Retake Applicants

Postby justadude55 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:38 pm

Curious how people are approaching applications while waiting for their scores, particularly with regards to ED.

Are you going off your previous score in selecting schools?

What if you go down?

Are you going off predicting your scores? I am pretty good at predicting my score within 3 points on practice tests, but on the real thing, always black out. I thought I scored a 140 my first time but obviously scored much higher. Maybe others are better at guessing their score????

OmbreGracieuse

Re: Retake Applicants

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:55 pm

I took it and got a 157 the first time, and expect to do significantly better this time.

I found that knowing my previous score allowed me to be a little more relaxed when choosing schools. I selected several reach schools based on a mix between my old score and my practice tests prior to this most recent one, several safeties, and a small spattering between the two.

I have already sent in apps, and just noted my new score was not in yet. I think quite a few schools are used to it, especially those with rolling admissions. I am still waiting on 1 LOR that should be in tomorrow or the next day, and as soon as I get it, I am applying everywhere else I had intended to, and will just wait for the LSAT score.

I feel like if I wait, and didn't do as well as I wanted, my despondency might show in my PS and DS writing, and schools will be put off due to my lack of gusto.

If you go down... just hope for the best! I don't feel I did, but most schools will understand that people have bad days.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:33 pm

I don't want to end up sending out 20 apps *for financial reasons and because I don't know if I would honestly move to random places for all those schools, so I have about 6 schools I'll apply to regardless of how I do because of geography and my original score.
I don't think I scored much better than my original score.. basically I think it is +/- 3 from my original score so the school range is similar. I am waiting on working on the reach schools apps until I know my score (if it is the same/lower then I won't apply).

But I haven't written my PS yet so I wouldn't be ready to submit anyways.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:00 pm

OmbreGracieuse wrote:I took it and got a 157 the first time, and expect to do significantly better this time.

I found that knowing my previous score allowed me to be a little more relaxed when choosing schools. I selected several reach schools based on a mix between my old score and my practice tests prior to this most recent one, several safeties, and a small spattering between the two.

I have already sent in apps, and just noted my new score was not in yet. I think quite a few schools are used to it, especially those with rolling admissions. I am still waiting on 1 LOR that should be in tomorrow or the next day, and as soon as I get it, I am applying everywhere else I had intended to, and will just wait for the LSAT score.

I feel like if I wait, and didn't do as well as I wanted, my despondency might show in my PS and DS writing, and schools will be put off due to my lack of gusto.

If you go down... just hope for the best! I don't feel I did, but most schools will understand that people have bad days.

When did you first take it? I took it in Sep09 and got a 157. I feel infinitely better about this test. I know for as much certainty as possible that I hit 165 ( only PTs i went below 165 was when I bombed multiple sections) and think that with the right curve and barring completely bombing games which I dont think I did, I have a shot at 170.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”