Developing a List of Schools Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ATR

Silver

Developing a List of Schools

Post by ATR » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:36 pm

Thanks, everyone!
Last edited by ATR on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

justadude55

Silver

Re: Developing a List of Schools

Post by justadude55 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:43 pm

atresia wrote:Disclaimer: I have yet to receive an LSAT score (took it on Saturday), but I would like to get a head-start on applications so I can apply as soon as possible once I receive my score. I apologize if this isn't the proper forum for my post; I wasn't sure of the most appropriate place for this thread.

Basic information:

LSDAS GPA: 3.89
LSAT PT Range: 166-168 (FWIW, I felt good about my performance on Saturday)
Average softs
Straight from UG

I am interested in having options re: scholarship money. Not necessarily a full ride, but I am relatively debt averse. Still, I would probably bite for sticker at one of the schools near the top of my list.

Here is a list of schools that I am considering at this point:

Berkeley (reach/target)
UPenn (reach/target)
Michigan (reach/target)
UVA (reach/target)
Cornell (reach/target)
Duke (reach/target)
Cornell (reach/target)
Vanderbilt (reach/target)

Southern California (target)
WashU (target)
Fordham (target)

SMU (target/safety)
Yeshiva (target/safety)

UMiami (safety)
Tennessee (safety/in-state)

I have great connections in TN, especially Nashville, if that's important. Also, I am looking to practice in a relatively big city (think Nashville and larger). Big law isn't the goal; I'm hoping to be general counsel for a hospital, although goals do change. Obviously, the results from my LSAT will determine whether this list is reasonable or not, but do any of you have any suggestions for schools to add?

Any and all constructive comments appreciated.
i think you're out at Berkley.

i think you're in at Cornell and UVA, WL at the others in the t-14 on ur list.

i think you'd get a full ride to Cordoza. according to what i heard, fordham isn't giving big scholarships. no reason to go down to Miami in your case. people with worse #'s get full rides to Cordoza.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:46 pm

This list is a good one... if you are not sure where you want to live. Note that the Non-T14 schools on your list are regional and if you go to one, you will have to work regionaly. If no T-14 make sure that you have applied to the best school in your favorite region.

Also, it would be helpful if your UG is in nursing or you can get a 3 year joint Masters in healtcare admin (Penn allows this).

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:49 pm

Veyron wrote:This list is a good one... if you are not sure where you want to live. Note that the Non-T14 schools on your list are regional and if you go to one, you will have to work regionaly. If no T-14 make sure that you have applied to the best school in your favorite region.

Also, it would be helpful if your UG is in nursing or you can get a 3 year joint Masters in healtcare admin (Penn allows this).
Thanks for the input. I am not sure about my favorite region, per se, but I am intrigued by NYC, Chicago and, to a lesser extent, DC and Southern California.

I'm not a nursing major, but I am in the honors program (working on a thesis) in an interdisciplinary healthcare-related major (not a hard science curriculum). I may check out that program at Penn; it seems to fit my objectives fairly well.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:55 pm

i think you're going to get into great schools in any region, but should research communities u wanna work in. if you're open to options:

if you get rejected from columbia and nyu as i would guess you would be, you really wanna look at cornell even though they're not in NYC (more a hick town to be honest), but you get the countryside and the opportunity to work in NYC after school which IMO is better than being in the city all your life.

if not, i wouldnt do fordham if i was you. you're not gonna get a big scholly cause everyone with a family in New York who is really good but not NYU/Columbia good goes to fordham so they get good scores and people basically have no choice in this situation so they don't need to throw $ to get their 20-30 #'s. consequently, idk if you want to put yourself in a position where you will have to compete to secure a good job out of school when your #'s can get you more security elsewhere in the country.

is the 168 the best you can do? did you study a lot? if you can get even low 170s, you're game at UChicago and NYU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:10 pm

justadude55 wrote:i think you're going to get into great schools in any region, but should research communities u wanna work in. if you're open to options:

if you get rejected from columbia and nyu as i would guess you would be, you really wanna look at cornell even though they're not in NYC (more a hick town to be honest), but you get the countryside and the opportunity to work in NYC after school which IMO is better than being in the city all your life.

if not, i wouldnt do fordham if i was you. you're not gonna get a big scholly cause everyone with a family in New York who is really good but not NYU/Columbia good goes to fordham so they get good scores and people basically have no choice in this situation so they don't need to throw $ to get their 20-30 #'s. consequently, idk if you want to put yourself in a position where you will have to compete to secure a good job out of school when your #'s can get you more security elsewhere in the country.

is the 168 the best you can do? did you study a lot? if you can get even low 170s, you're game at UChicago and NYU.
I will definitely look into other regions where I would like to live/practice. I am just worried about my lack of connections to "secondary markets."

I am very interested in Cornell, since it seems that their medians are slightly lower than the rest of the T14. They're definitely near the top of my list.

Interesting information on Fordham. I got the feeling through researching LSN that they don't offer much money.

I studied about 3 months total, about half of which was pretty intense. I guess I could improve a little, but speculation at this point is moot since I don't have a score. TBH, I felt really good about my performance, to the point where I may have scored as high as I ever have. No nerves, anxiety, etc. during the exam, and I can only remember 2 or 3 problems that I struggled with. I'm willing to retake if I need to, though.

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:20 pm

Print out UNSWR top 100 and pee on the floor directly next to it. Whichever school has zero splatters should be your #1.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:32 pm

champ33 wrote:Print out UNSWR top 100 and pee on the floor directly next to it. Whichever school has zero splatters should be your #1.
Haha, is that what you did? Very helpful...

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:09 am

Friendly bump... looking for other input regarding my application list.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”