Are application fees refunded if I am accepted elsewhere ED?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
M.M.

Re: Are application fees refunded if I am accepted elsewhere ED?

Postby M.M. » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:02 pm

bk1 wrote:
M.M. wrote:I just checked the school profiles and what I said above is the 25th and 75th

If both of his scores are near the 75th (3.84 is a low closer to 3.92 than 3.54 and 170 is a lot closer to 171 than 170) shouldn't he easily get in?

3.84 is (just averaging the 25th and 75th very close to Harvard's average GPA, whereas 170 is 1 point under it's 25th ...

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=128236

I'm not going to get into the whole explaining statistics thing, but you are wrong. The way that many schools can drag their medians very close to their 75th percentile is by taking the right combination of splitters and reverse-splitters which results in a low 25th but a high median.

Schools care more about their medians than their 25/75 percentiles. The reason that Harvard is different is because Harvard doesn't really take splitters so they have a more "natural" median that isn't being gamed to a certain extent by using splitters.

I see. A splitter is someone with high GPA / low LSAT or vice versa right ?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:06 pm

M.M. wrote:I see. A splitter is someone with high GPA / low LSAT or vice versa right ?

Splitter: High LSAT/Low GPA
Reverse Splitter: Low LSAT/High GPA

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:57 pm

bk1 wrote:
M.M. wrote:I see. A splitter is someone with high GPA / low LSAT or vice versa right ?

Splitter: High LSAT/Low GPA
Reverse Splitter: Low LSAT/High GPA

Ok. I still don't get the statistics thing (nor have, due to time constraint) but does this mean that if you hit right in the middle of the 25th and 75th percentiles for schools you have a lesser chance than someone who hits the (inflated) median? So people should aim higher than whatever number's between the 25th and 75th?

Damn, that's rough.

One could be still safe in getting in if they did hit right in the middle though, right?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:11 pm

M.M. wrote:Ok. I still don't get the statistics thing (nor have, due to time constraint)

Simple example for statistics:

165, 166, 166, 170, 170, 170, 170, 171, 171, 174.

With this set, you have a 25th of 166, a median of 170, and a 75th of 171. With the right combination of people schools can make sure that they get their median as high as possible and the use of splitters will push this close to the 75th. The 75th doesn't get higher mainly because people above this LSAT will usually go to a better school.

M.M. wrote:does this mean that if you hit right in the middle of the 25th and 75th percentiles for schools you have a lesser chance than someone who hits the (inflated) median? So people should aim higher than whatever number's between the 25th and 75th?

Damn, that's rough.

One could be still safe in getting in if they did hit right in the middle though, right?

If you're below both medians you're fucked. The average of the 25th and 75th is irrelevant, what matters is the median of the entire range. People should aim for higher than the median, which schools do report and is in the thread I linked earlier (other than obviously trying to get as high numbers as they can).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”