How far can an excellent PS take you?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
URMdan

How far can an excellent PS take you?

Postby URMdan » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:15 pm

Since, from everything I've read, gaining admittance to law school is pretty much a numbers game, how far can a really good PS realistically take you?

bk1

Re: How far can an excellent PS take you?

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:18 pm

It won't help you outperform your numbers. It may help you when you might otherwise be waitlisted.

Charmander

Postby Charmander » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Ultimately, it is a numbers game, but if you can put together a nice PS that can help. A great PS alone wont get you into a school, but it can improve your chances. In short, write the best statement you can write.

existenz

Postby existenz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:25 pm

URMdan wrote:Since, from everything I've read, gaining admittance to law school is pretty much a numbers game, how far can a really good PS realistically take you?

A bad PS will hurt you. A good PS will let you perform at your numbers. A great PS (of which there are few, don't think yours is special) might make up for 2 or 3 LSAT points and that's it.

I would say applying early (Sep-Oct) with a good PS is better than applying late (Dec-Jan) with a great PS, especially for schools like NYU, Columbia, Boalt, UVA.

The "Why X" essays are also critical at Mich, Penn, Duke. But again, they have to just be good enough, being great doesn't make as big a difference as it should.

Jackie O

Postby Jackie O » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:53 pm

I'm honestly not convinced they read them very closely - I was accepted at my school within 2 weeks with a handwritten note saying "I loved your personal statement!"

I can hardly write

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”