Cooley Law School - Laughable but tempting Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Laker89

New

Cooley Law School - Laughable but tempting

Post by Laker89 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:07 am

Many on TLS have top tier school and big firm dreams, but as someone looking to go into the public sector locally; should I consider the money Cooley offers me? Being offered a 100% scholarship for my LSAT, I'm tempted to consider Cooley (Grand Rapids) but I'm having a hard time getting past their ridiculous self-imposed top tier ranking (I have a theory they own the publishing company that published that horrible book they cite). Not to mention I'm disgusted by their profit driven philosophy as a institution.

Background-
Attended: Grand Valley State University (Grand Rapids, MI)
UGPA: 3.45
LSAT: 167
Major: BA Political Science
BA Criminal Justice
Minor: Chinese
Last edited by Laker89 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Cooley Law School - Laughable but temping

Post by kalvano » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:08 am

With those numbers, if you go to Cooley, you should be flogged, then tarred and feathered.

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:12 am

I hope this is a flame.

No, you shouldn't go for two reasons:

1. They make their scholarships famously difficult to keep.
2. You can get a full ride elsewhere with those numbers. Just blanket the lower part of Tier 1.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:14 am

even if you insisted on attending law school in Michigan, Mich. State with a full ride would be a significantly wiser choice. I think you are trolling.

nphsbuckeye

Bronze

Post by nphsbuckeye » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:15 am

theantiscalia wrote:I hope this is a flame.
Don't you mean troll?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Laker89

New

Post by Laker89 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:30 am

Not trolling, honestly. I'm just humoring my family and girlfriends request. Also, if anyone knows of any schools that offer LL.M. international law or comparative law programs that fit my numbers let me know. That area of law is my real interest I've so far given up on due to relational pressure.

nealric

Re: Cooley Law School - Laughable but tempting

Post by nealric » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:33 am

Also, if anyone knows of any schools that offer LL.M. international law or comparative law programs that fit my numbers let me know.
Like lambs to the slaughter...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:35 am

nealric wrote:
Also, if anyone knows of any schools that offer LL.M. international law or comparative law programs that fit my numbers let me know.
Cmon nealric, this is straight trolling here.

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:37 am

I think you should do what YOU want to do. You are the only person you are stuck with for forever, and to be honest, law school puts a strain on relationships. What seems great now with your girlfriend may not last (no offense) through law school, and the last thing you need is to be stuck somewhere you hate alone because of someone else. Also, if she can't respect what you want to do, and feels the need to pressure you into what she wants you to do, maybe you two need to talk.

A 100% full ride to Cooley is awesome (gratz, btw), but if you are hestating then you should apply to other schools. That way you know where you stand, who is offering scholarships, and know you aren't just settling because other people want you to. Since you are a Michigan resident I'd suggest applying to University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Notre Dame, and Mich State. They all have fairly good programs and are higher ranked than Cooley. They may have more money with less strings attached to offer as well.

Good luck!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:43 am

rad law wrote:
nealric wrote:
Cmon nealric, this is straight trolling here.
Sometimes it's hard to tell.

Laker89

New

Post by Laker89 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:41 pm

OmbreGracieuse wrote: A 100% full ride to Cooley is awesome (gratz, btw)
Thanks for the laugh OmbreGracieuse.
But
Just trolling.

ps. does Cooley have a LL.M. program? if so I'm SO not trolling anymore... I'll for serious consider accepting Cooley scholarship (It comes with your own customized library seat) :shock:

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:27 am

As a cooley law school graduate and law firm partner, I feel obliged to comment on your baseless slandering of my alma mater. Cooley may not be the highest ranked law school, may not have the most famous alumni, may not be an accredited institution, may not have both male and female restrooms in its buildings, may not have "professors" or "faculty", may not have books in its library, may not have a library that is not a boiler room, may not have a working boiler room, may not even be a law school...but I guarantee that we are the best email senders in the business.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:41 am

Laker89 wrote:
OmbreGracieuse wrote: A 100% full ride to Cooley is awesome (gratz, btw)
Thanks for the laugh OmbreGracieuse.
But
Just trolling.

ps. does Cooley have a LL.M. program? if so I'm SO not trolling anymore... I'll for serious consider accepting Cooley scholarship (It comes with your own customized library seat) :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:45 am

username99 wrote:As a Cooley Law School graduate and law firm partner, I feel obliged to comment on your baseless slandering of my alma mater. Cooley may not be the highest ranked law school, may not have the most famous alumni, may not be an accredited institution, may not have both male and female restrooms in its buildings, may not have "professors" or "faculty", may not have books in its library, may not have a library that is not a boiler room, may not have a working boiler room, may not even be a law school...but I guarantee that we are the best email senders in the business.

slander is spoken

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:48 am

blink wrote:
username99 wrote:As a Cooley Law School graduate and law firm partner, I feel obliged to comment on your baseless slandering of my alma mater. Cooley may not be the highest ranked law school, may not have the most famous alumni, may not be an accredited institution, may not have both male and female restrooms in its buildings, may not have "professors" or "faculty", may not have books in its library, may not have a library that is not a boiler room, may not have a working boiler room, may not even be a law school...but I guarantee that we are the best email senders in the business.

slander is spoken
By assholes like you, clearly.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:30 am

blink wrote:

slander is spoken

Give him a break, he did go to Cooley after all.

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:14 pm

kalvano wrote:
blink wrote:

slander is spoken

Give him a break, he did go to Cooley after all.
Exactly!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:06 pm

username99 wrote:
blink wrote:

slander is spoken
I would much rather slander someone than libel them from hundreds of miles away from the safety of my own home

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:09 pm

blink wrote:
username99 wrote:
blink wrote:

slander is spoken
I would much rather slander someone than libel them from hundreds of miles away from the safety of my own home
I would rather have a snack.

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:14 pm

you cooley grads are such rascals

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:17 pm

blink wrote:you cooley grads are such rascals
I know I am: http://abovethelaw.com/_old/images/entries/brandow.jpg

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:18 pm

My internship at an AG office consisted of many Cooley grads. If I had to pick one institution that was most represented, it would be Cooley hands down. They say that CoOoley is easy to get into, but they make you work hard to stay in which apparently is why the attrition rate is so high.

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:20 pm

URMdan wrote:My internship at an AG office consisted of many Cooley grads. If I had to pick one institution that was most represented, it would be Cooley hands down. They say that CoOoley is easy to get into, but they make you work hard to stay in which apparently is why the attrition rate is so high.
Are you sure you're not confusing Cooley with, you know, every other school? Perhaps Coolumbia?

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:22 pm

username99 wrote:
URMdan wrote:My internship at an AG office consisted of many Cooley grads. If I had to pick one institution that was most represented, it would be Cooley hands down. They say that CoOoley is easy to get into, but they make you work hard to stay in which apparently is why the attrition rate is so high.
Are you sure you're not confusing Cooley with, you know, every other school? Perhaps Coolumbia?
No. Every prosecutor except for one was AA too. The lone white guy is making $160k/year and 2 years away from collecting pension.

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:24 pm

URMdan wrote:
username99 wrote:
No. Every prosecutor except for one was AA too. The lone white guy is making $160k/year and 2 years away from collecting pension.
Where was this?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”