Law School is OVERRATED and OVERPRICED!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
KarlZ06

Law School is OVERRATED and OVERPRICED!

Postby KarlZ06 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:36 pm

I could not be happier with my decision to scrap law school. Aside from the ridiculous tuition, books, parking, etc.; many fail to realize the 3+ years of no salary/income. Law school is a rip and unfortunately the prestige is long gone.

I invested a full year of my life, both preparing for the LSAT and the application process. 2 weeks before my seat deposit was due I stumbled into my "dream job". I am currently creating and pitching tv/film projects to studio execs.

I feel that some of you on this site choose law school because you are scared of career rejection and/or not getting your dream job. Law school unfortunately doesn't open a lot of doors and can actually limit your opportunities. After all, who wants to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in law school tuition and not become a lawyer?

Lastly, why push papers and cross someone's "T"s and dot their "I"s to make peanuts? Granted a select few will be ballers, but most lawyers will be living paycheck to paycheck. Not fun!!!

CGI Fridays

Re: Law School is OVERRATED and OVERPRICED!

Postby CGI Fridays » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:37 pm

IBTmemes.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:38 pm

How many people in this country are creating and pitching tv/film projects to studio execs? How does one stumble into one of those dream jobs?

Are you suggesting that everyone stop dreaming about law school and go into creating and pitching tv/film projects? I am afraid that is going to over supply the market and make you lose your dream job.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:39 pm

No... please..... can't..... handle.... the truth..... MY EYES....!!! AAAAAAAAaaaaaaa

What have you done??
Last edited by Adjudicator on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:39 pm

OP in year: laid off, reapplying with WE, chances?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:42 pm

Law school overpriced, you don't say! : Drops monicle:

Listen up brah, for some of us law is our dream job. Not only would I not trade the law for a job pitching movies, I wouldn't trade it for a role in one.

I am glad that you had the courage to realize that sunk costs are sunk tho and actualy pursule the work you wanted to do. Unlike many, you are not a lemming - by the skin of your teeth.

KarlZ06

Postby KarlZ06 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:How many people in this country are creating and pitching tv/film projects to studio execs? How does one stumble into one of those dream jobs?

Are you suggesting that everyone stop dreaming about law school and go into creating and pitching tv/film projects? I am afraid that is going to over supply the market and make you lose your dream job.

I never once suggested everyone stop dreaming about law school and go into creating and pitching tv/film projects? I thought law school was my "only option" and I felt trapped. I felt like I invested so much time into studying for the lsat, researching the schools, filling out the applications, etc. and I couldn't turn back. What I was ultimately getting at, is keep your options open and shoot big. If law school and becoming a lawyer are your dream, then balls to the wall. Do it and own it.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:46 pm

Man... this thread had potential until that response.

KarlZ06

Postby KarlZ06 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:51 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:Man... this thread had potential until that response.

You're a nerd.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:52 pm

How exactly did you "stumble" into that?

On a side note, you better be pitching stuff like "Dexter" and "Mad Men." I better not see another "Joey" created by KarlZ06.

Merr

Postby Merr » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:56 pm

KarlZ06 wrote:
I never once suggested everyone stop dreaming about law school and go into creating and pitching tv/film projects? I thought law school was my "only option" and I felt trapped. I felt like I invested so much time into studying for the lsat, researching the schools, filling out the applications, etc. and I couldn't turn back. What I was ultimately getting at, is keep your options open and shoot big. If law school and becoming a lawyer are your dream, then balls to the wall. Do it and own it.

What in the world possessed you to think that and why do you think it applies to anyone of the people who are reading this thread?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:01 pm

Merr wrote:
KarlZ06 wrote:

What in the world possessed you to think that and why do you think it applies to anyone of the people who are reading this thread?

You said it right. Rational people don't get trapped by themselves. I mean if OP said he was forced by parents, or whatever else to pursue law, then I would feel trapped. How do you trap yourself when you know you are trapping yourself? Most of us rational people go through our planning process, do our research, and reach a rational conclusion and act on it. If you lack the common sense to not do something you don't want to do, why the hell do you think you would be successful at your dream job? To pitch things to people you need to make coherent and rational arguments. Or lie.

KarlZ06

Postby KarlZ06 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:09 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:How exactly did you "stumble" into that?

On a side note, you better be pitching stuff like "Dexter" and "Mad Men." I better not see another "Joey" created by KarlZ06.

I lived in Los Angeles and two weeks before my seat deposit was due, I decided to search the internet for producers in the area looking for assistants. I found an actor that recently started his own independent production company. It's awesome! It's only him, myself and one other girl. The mentoring and learning process is phenomenal.

Have you read the book "Bad Monkeys"? Fox Studios just gave us the green light and should be on the air in the spring. Look out for my name on the credits.

The plot: The beginning of the book takes place in the mental disabilites wing of the Las Vegas Clark County Detention Center. A psychiatrist named Dr. Vale interviews Jane Charlotte, who is there for the murder of a man called Dixon. Jane claims that she works for a secret organization devoted to fighting evil and that she is the operative for the Department for the Final Disposition of Irredeemable Persons, which is also known as Bad Monkeys. She also claims that her job is to eliminate individuals who are guilty of heinous crimes, but might elude normal channels of justice. Jane tells her story to Dr. Vale about her life working with Bad Monkeys.

That's the only one similar to Dexter; most the other projects in development are reality based. Quick cash and low budget. Extremely hard to get a scripted series picked up. Have a good one.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:10 pm

I don't dot capital I's.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:10 pm

r6_philly wrote:You said it right. Rational people don't get trapped by themselves. I mean if OP said he was forced by parents, or whatever else to pursue law, then I would feel trapped. How do you trap yourself when you know you are trapping yourself? Most of us rational people go through our planning process, do our research, and reach a rational conclusion and act on it. If you lack the common sense to not do something you don't want to do, why the hell do you think you would be successful at your dream job? To pitch things to people you need to make coherent and rational arguments. Or lie.

4 "rational"'s in one response! Oof. Plus a "common sense" & a "coherent" for good measure.
What say ye, OP?!?!

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:11 pm

Merr wrote:
KarlZ06 wrote:

Don't be obtuse -- OP describes tons of law students and I'm sure some of them post on this board.

KarlZ06

Postby KarlZ06 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:13 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Merr wrote:
KarlZ06 wrote:

You said it right. Rational people don't get trapped by themselves. I mean if OP said he was forced by parents, or whatever else to pursue law, then I would feel trapped. How do you trap yourself when you know you are trapping yourself? Most of us rational people go through our planning process, do our research, and reach a rational conclusion and act on it. If you lack the common sense to not do something you don't want to do, why the hell do you think you would be successful at your dream job? To pitch things to people you need to make coherent and rational arguments. Or lie.

Man you got some bitterness or something going on your life. Get over it man. Most rational people would realize that I am not speaking for everyone. I was set on law school and planned on specializing in entertainment law. I knew I wanted to do something related to the entertainment field (agent, manager, producer, etc.) and figured a law degree would at least help separate me from some of those knocking at the door for jobs.

Burn off some of your steam man. Let it go.

dood

Postby dood » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LastChanceLA

Postby LastChanceLA » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:18 pm

It seems like the OP was simply trying to vent and I dont think this is the right place for it.

Hey, OP, next time consider beginning a diary if you have no other place to to express yourself.
Last edited by LastChanceLA on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:18 pm

dood wrote:
KarlZ06 wrote:I could not be happier with my decision to scrap law school. Aside from the ridiculous tuition, books, parking, etc.; many fail to realize the 3+ years of no salary/income. Law school is a rip and unfortunately the prestige is long gone.

I invested a full year of my life, both preparing for the LSAT and the application process. 2 weeks before my seat deposit was due I stumbled into my "dream job". I am currently creating and pitching tv/film projects to studio execs.

I feel that some of you on this site choose law school because you are scared of career rejection and/or not getting your dream job. Law school unfortunately doesn't open a lot of doors and can actually limit your opportunities. After all, who wants to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in law school tuition and not become a lawyer?

Lastly, why push papers and cross someone's "T"s and dot their "I"s to make peanuts? Granted a select few will be ballers, but most lawyers will be living paycheck to paycheck. Not fun!!!

hard as it is to believe, lawyer might be the dream jorb for some of us. also, law school is not overrated - ive never had as much fun as in law school.

Credited. Never been the athletic sort, but I immagine that 1L year is the nerd equivelent of training to run the marethon. I feel the burn, but its a good burn.

Merr

Postby Merr » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:20 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:
Don't be obtuse -- OP describes tons of law students and I'm sure some of them post on this board.

Maybe I am being obtuse, but that sounds insane to me. I mean to just move blindly forward into what is potentially a five or six figure debt, and three year life commitment all while being motivated by a fear of being trapped seems unimaginable. I took a substantial amount of time off after undergrad to try different things out and see if law school was really what I wanted. That way when I decided to commit to it I knew it would be the right option. I cannot imagine doing otherwise.
Last edited by Merr on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

KarlZ06

Postby KarlZ06 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:21 pm

JazzOne wrote:I don't dot capital I's.

You might be right, but you sure spend a hell of a lot of time of TLS. 3300+ posts. If you're a lawyer, is this your only social life? Yikes.

Lokomani

Postby Lokomani » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:22 pm

Just remember that law school is a two tier system:

The students that are sought after for various reasons get most of the scholarship money, and their education is in essence paid for by the seat fillers/ number fluff kids. This is the real reason one shouldn't pull out enormous debt; if a law school is making you finance most or all of your own tuition, they don't want you.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:23 pm

KarlZ06 wrote:
Man you got some bitterness or something going on your life. Get over it man. Most rational people would realize that I am not speaking for everyone. I was set on law school and planned on specializing in entertainment law. I knew I wanted to do something related to the entertainment field (agent, manager, producer, etc.) and figured a law degree would at least help separate me from some of those knocking at the door for jobs.

Burn off some of your steam man. Let it go.

You go on to a pre-law website and tell everyone that "law school is OVERRATED and OVERPRICED", how am I supposed to know that you are only speaking for you and not everyone?

Your evidence for law school being "OVERRATED" and "OVERPRICED" is the fact that you landed 1 of maybe 100 jobs in the world by pure luck... That is really rational and convincing. I don't know who you are fooling but you have no job security or long term plan. Your job could be taken away in a flash if someone doesn't like the the tie you wore to the next meeting...

I am not bitter, my life is notably better than what you describe, I am very happy. I am bothered that your self-realization is more of an illusion than your law school pursuit. But as long as you are happy. But to come on to this forum and capitalize those 2 words without just cause is just juvenile. Just be happy that you are happy - for the moment.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:24 pm

KarlZ06 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I don't dot capital I's.

You might be right, but you sure spend a hell of a lot of time of TLS. 3300+ posts. If you're a lawyer, is this your only social life? Yikes.

?? Mad because he pointed out your dumb comment?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”