What schools should I be applying to 157-162 LSAT, AA, 3.0

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
URMdan

Re: What schools should I be applying to 157-162 LSAT, AA, 3.0

Postby URMdan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:34 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
URMdan wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:You haven't really specified the most crucial element, which is whether you are male or female. I'm going to assume you are a male. If you get a 162 ED to NYU, or if you are more risk averse UVA . Apply ASAP to Cornell, you should get Fordham regardless of where you fall in that range. If you get over a 166 don't apply ED anywhere, just blanket the top 14.

Is Fordham very URM friendly? I read that they value GPA more than other schools, which is why I'm not as confident about them.

NYU may be out of reach. I took the LSAT last February and scored a 152. To the best of my knowledge I believe NYU averages LSAT scores.

With your ivy undergrad, good softs, and Black male status, you certainly have a good shot of getting into NYU with a 162+ LSAT and ED. If you get a 165 I'm almost certain you would be accepted ED. As far as Fordham, if you pull a 160 and apply ASAP you should be fine. You really need to checkout blsd. UVA ED and Cornell are your best shots in the top 14.

Thanks. I've lurked BLSD as well, but find TLS way more active. I guess I should work as much as I can on my PS till I get my score, because it may actually make a difference in my case.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:40 pm

URMdan wrote:
Fred_McGriff wrote:Applying to T-14 with a 3.0 / 162 just because of URM status? Really?

Yes? If I got a 162, then I can see how lower end of T14 is possible. Especially considering I went to Ivy for UG. Where did you go?

First, Im quite shocked that you are still getting legit responses after that gem. Second, the 3.0+lack of significant work experience+no game changing softs(founding a non-profit charter school for poor is an example of one)+162=likely rejections from T14 w/ possible but doubtful chance at cornell. PM me for details of cycles of african-americans with similar/better numbers than you.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:42 pm

URMdan wrote:Yes? If I got a 162, then I can see how lower end of T14 is possible. Especially considering I went to Ivy for UG. Where did you go?

:|

JurisDoctorate

Postby JurisDoctorate » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:00 pm

"Yes? If I got a 162, then I can see how lower end of T14 is possible. Especially considering I went to Ivy for UG. Where did you go?"

Lol, nothing like a good big leaguing attempt!

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:24 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
URMdan wrote:
Fred_McGriff wrote:Applying to T-14 with a 3.0 / 162 just because of URM status? Really?

Yes? If I got a 162, then I can see how lower end of T14 is possible. Especially considering I went to Ivy for UG. Where did you go?

First, Im quite shocked that you are still getting legit responses after that gem. Second, the 3.0+lack of significant work experience+no game changing softs(founding a non-profit charter school for poor is an example of one)+162=likely rejections from T14 w/ possible but doubtful chance at cornell. PM me for details of cycles of african-americans with similar/better numbers than you.

I really don't know why people are acting like that's a crazy comment. Not only is it not crazy, it can be downright game changing at certain school. Being ivy Black make with a 3.0 vs. an average undergrad can mean the difference between Cornell and Fordham or Chicago and GULC. Quality of undergrad matters a lot in URM admissions for some reason, especially for AA males. If he got a 166 and did ED he would probably get into Columbia.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:26 pm

BruceWayne wrote:I really don't know why people are acting like that's a crazy comment.

It was the "where did you go?" that got me.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:28 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:I really don't know why people are acting like that's a crazy comment.

It was the "where did you go?" that got me.

I was genuinely interested in where he went. Maybe it was the AA and Ivy indicators that may have led you to falsely believe that I was being cocky.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:32 pm

Ah, in that case I apologize.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:40 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
I really don't know why people are acting like that's a crazy comment. Not only is it not crazy, it can be downright game changing at certain school. Being ivy Black make with a 3.0 vs. an average undergrad can mean the difference between Cornell and Fordham or Chicago and GULC. Quality of undergrad matters a lot in URM admissions for some reason, especially for AA males. If he got a 166 and did ED he would probably get into Columbia.

Not sure where you are getting this from but you are overestimating the effect of Ivy for URMs a little bit. Yes, at HYSCC the Ivy undergrad will give you a boost in comparison to an avg. school but it isnt like 3.0/160 from Ivy is def admitted over 3.1/162 from standard state school. A big problem in comparing the two is that it is hard to find URMs from state schools with comparable numbers to Ivy students.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:49 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

Not sure where you are getting this from but you are overestimating the effect of Ivy for URMs a little bit. Yes, at HYSCC the Ivy undergrad will give you a boost in comparison to an avg. school but it isnt like 3.0/160 from Ivy is def admitted over 3.1/162 from standard state school. A big problem in comparing the two is that it is hard to find URMs from state schools with comparable numbers to Ivy students.

Geez I hate giving really substantive answers to this sort of thing, as I seriously risk outing myself. I will say for now that you are definitely right about HYSCC, more right than you realize. For all of those schools ivy/elite undergrad vs. average school is a GAME CHANGER with that GPA. For the rest you are right that it's a bit blurry with the rest of the top 14, but of the rest of them Cornell seems to defintely be one where it is a game changer. There was a guy on here a long time ago by the username of mcds who got into Cornell with ivy undergrad and a 3.0 160 combo. He had worse softs than this guy; and honestly that's not all that odd for Cornell. He really does have a good shot at NYU ED if he pulls the 162.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:54 pm

BruceWayne wrote:mcds

Man, you took it waaaay back. I remember reading his story and thinking that if I could land Cornell, I would be the happiest person ever. That was like Sophomore year or something.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:56 pm

I would like to mention that, according to LSN, nobody in last year's cycle got into NYU with less than a 3.3 GPA. Too small a sample?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:08 am

Rand M. wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:mcds

Man, you took it waaaay back. I remember reading his story and thinking that if I could land Cornell, I would be the happiest person ever. That was like Sophomore year or something.

LOL me too man! :lol:

URMdan wrote:I would like to mention that, according to LSN, nobody in last year's cycle got into NYU with less than a 3.3 GPA. Too small a sample?

Did any of the URMs with that number range ED? Also keep in mind that not many of us put our stats up on lsd: case in point, my numbers are very useful to your question but I have never put up a profile on lsn.

Another thing in regards to NYU. You should think and be strategic with your apps. NYU has the biggest class size in the top 14 after GULC and Harvard. In other words they have a harder time keeping their URM percentage numbers up, yet they can absorb relatively low numbers combos and still not affect their median if they want to. Make them want to do this for you by writing a strong personal statement, getting great reccs, and applying ED. If it makes you feel more comfortable there's a URM on here who got into UChicago ED last cycle with a 3.2 and a 162 combo (or something very close)---Chicago is a much smaller (I believe half the size of NYU?) school that cannot absorb as many apps with those numbers and it has a lower admit rate than NYU...........

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:19 am

Looks like I will have my hands full with different essays this month

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:21 am

How does Northwestern size up?

billyez

Postby billyez » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:47 am

From personal experience, I can say that if you get at least a 160 on the LSAT you should apply to UVA*. That being said, the unpredictability of these cycles needs to be taken into account...and those low numbers are still a burden to be overcome. Don't just write out some essays...make sure your PS and every aspect of your application that you can control at this point is strong.

Also, I want to reiterate the comment made earlier that you really should be asking this question after you get your score back. There's a big difference from a 157 and a 160. It's great that you want to start on essays...but honestly, you should be working on your PS and making it better regardless of which school your going to apply to.

*I only speak in regards to an ED application.

tazmolover

Postby tazmolover » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:09 am

Going to an ivy doesn't matter much for law school apps to begin with...the fact that you got a 3.0 there (I'm assuming in a liberal arts major) is even LESS impressive...throw in the fact that you are a URM, and you are just ASKING for people to call you an AA admit.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:13 am

tazmolover wrote:you are a URM, and you are just ASKING for people to call you an AA admit.

So what?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:26 am

tazmolover wrote:Going to an ivy doesn't matter much for law school apps to begin with...the fact that you got a 3.0 there (I'm assuming in a liberal arts major) is even LESS impressive...throw in the fact that you are a URM, and you are just ASKING for people to call you an AA admit.

Just totally ignore this, he has no idea what he's talking about. It matters A LOT for a URM aiming for HYS or CC.

TruHoosier

Postby TruHoosier » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:42 pm

username99 wrote:You didn't save the world...yet. Dude apply wherever you want. The bottom line is that your URM status, decent scores, and 160-something LSAT will give you a chance anywhere. A friend of mine got into Harvard with a 159 a few years ago. Granted, he had a 4.0 and was a URM in more respects than one.

Harvard with a 159? How the hell did he swing that?

Did he walk into the admissions office in full Native American garb with a headdress on and a peace pipe in hand?

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:52 pm

TruHoosier wrote:
username99 wrote:You didn't save the world...yet. Dude apply wherever you want. The bottom line is that your URM status, decent scores, and 160-something LSAT will give you a chance anywhere. A friend of mine got into Harvard with a 159 a few years ago. Granted, he had a 4.0 and was a URM in more respects than one.

Did he walk into the admissions office in full Native American garb with a headdress on and a peace pipe in hand?

:lol: :lol:

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:08 pm

TruHoosier wrote:

It's not that rare. If you have a sky high GPA (like a 4.0) are URM and have strong softs you have a good shot. In fact they accept applicants with these numbers every year, it's pretty easy for them to do it and not hurt their numbers. HLS has a class size of over 500 students.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:44 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
He really does have a good shot at NYU ED if he pulls the 162.

Isn't it relevant that I scored less on my first LSAT since NYU still averages multiple LSAT scores?

username99

Postby username99 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:12 am

You're looking for reasons why you won't succeed. You will be fine.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”