apps submitted but retake lsat in dec?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

should i retake?

yes
4
29%
no
10
71%
 
Total votes: 14

User avatar
hellome
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:41 pm

apps submitted but retake lsat in dec?

Postby hellome » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:05 am

i always wanted to do a poll :)

so, i've submitted all my apps but i was never 100% satisfied w/ my lsat score
i got a 171, which i know is very good, but i was consistently scoring in the mid 70s in my prep
i know also that most people see their scores drop several points in the actual test
but i just feel like i can do a little better

if i take it again in december, do schools automatically get updates from lsac?
or would i need to update schools on my new score?
even if i get a lower score, would i need to let everyone know?

i feel as though a one or two pt increase may help me with schools that probably will end up waitlisting me...
any feedback would be appreciated
thanks!

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: apps submitted but retake lsat in dec?

Postby ahduth » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:24 am

Heh. I was wondering about this too. Almost exactly the same situation, consistently scoring mid- to high-70s on practice tests, wondering if a 175 would be look shinier than what I scored in June. Seems like there's no downside if your score is lower, since schools mostly seem to take the higher score. Issue is whether they take the score at all.

User avatar
hellome
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: apps submitted but retake lsat in dec?

Postby hellome » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:37 am

This is sort of a conversation between just the two of us but in case others are curious:

I called LSAC and it seems any updates in our scores will be automatically sent to the schools we have applied to. (Can someone confirm...pretty please?)
You (ahduth) say that a lower score can't hurt - I disagree. I would think it may kinda weaken your previous score...if that makes sense.

And so, I'm going to put this at rest and just see where I go with my 171.
Good luck!

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: apps submitted but retake lsat in dec?

Postby justadude55 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:45 am

hellome wrote:This is sort of a conversation between just the two of us but in case others are curious:

I called LSAC and it seems any updates in our scores will be automatically sent to the schools we have applied to. (Can someone confirm...pretty please?)
You (ahduth) say that a lower score can't hurt - I disagree. I would think it may kinda weaken your previous score...if that makes sense.

And so, I'm going to put this at rest and just see where I go with my 171.
Good luck!


this is true, but they're not gonna look at you until they have your 2nd score (even if the 171 by itself is good enough)..... just standard policy.

because you'd lose all advantages in applying early (maybe a point or 2) as well as a real shot at $$$$$, i'd only retake if you really believe no doubt you're a 175 guy/girl.

ckdgusdl88
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:56 pm

Re: apps submitted but retake lsat in dec?

Postby ckdgusdl88 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:14 am

justadude55 wrote:
hellome wrote:This is sort of a conversation between just the two of us but in case others are curious:

I called LSAC and it seems any updates in our scores will be automatically sent to the schools we have applied to. (Can someone confirm...pretty please?)
You (ahduth) say that a lower score can't hurt - I disagree. I would think it may kinda weaken your previous score...if that makes sense.

And so, I'm going to put this at rest and just see where I go with my 171.
Good luck!


this is true, but they're not gonna look at you until they have your 2nd score (even if the 171 by itself is good enough)..... just standard policy.

because you'd lose all advantages in applying early (maybe a point or 2) as well as a real shot at $$$$$, i'd only retake if you really believe no doubt you're a 175 guy/girl.


So even at schools where 171 would be good enough, they will not consider you until the Dec LSAT scores come in?
I took Oct LSAT and was thinking about writing an addendum to ask them to admit me if I am already good enough but if the decision is to waitlist/reject than to hold the decision until seeing Dec score...

User avatar
hellome
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: apps submitted but retake lsat in dec?

Postby hellome » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:13 pm

ckdgusdl88 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:
hellome wrote:This is sort of a conversation between just the two of us but in case others are curious:

I called LSAC and it seems any updates in our scores will be automatically sent to the schools we have applied to. (Can someone confirm...pretty please?)
You (ahduth) say that a lower score can't hurt - I disagree. I would think it may kinda weaken your previous score...if that makes sense.

And so, I'm going to put this at rest and just see where I go with my 171.
Good luck!


this is true, but they're not gonna look at you until they have your 2nd score (even if the 171 by itself is good enough)..... just standard policy.

because you'd lose all advantages in applying early (maybe a point or 2) as well as a real shot at $$$$$, i'd only retake if you really believe no doubt you're a 175 guy/girl.


So even at schools where 171 would be good enough, they will not consider you until the Dec LSAT scores come in?
I took Oct LSAT and was thinking about writing an addendum to ask them to admit me if I am already good enough but if the decision is to waitlist/reject than to hold the decision until seeing Dec score...


you're serious, right?
i don't think that sort of addendum is a good idea.

edit: and also, if your file is complete and you didn't ask them to wait until another lsat score is in, they will go ahead and evaluate your file. so taking the lsat in december may do nothing if the school has already rendered a decision.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: apps submitted but retake lsat in dec?

Postby justadude55 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:06 pm

ckdgusdl88 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:
hellome wrote:This is sort of a conversation between just the two of us but in case others are curious:

I called LSAC and it seems any updates in our scores will be automatically sent to the schools we have applied to. (Can someone confirm...pretty please?)
You (ahduth) say that a lower score can't hurt - I disagree. I would think it may kinda weaken your previous score...if that makes sense.

And so, I'm going to put this at rest and just see where I go with my 171.
Good luck!


this is true, but they're not gonna look at you until they have your 2nd score (even if the 171 by itself is good enough)..... just standard policy.

because you'd lose all advantages in applying early (maybe a point or 2) as well as a real shot at $$$$$, i'd only retake if you really believe no doubt you're a 175 guy/girl.


So even at schools where 171 would be good enough, they will not consider you until the Dec LSAT scores come in?
I took Oct LSAT and was thinking about writing an addendum to ask them to admit me if I am already good enough but if the decision is to waitlist/reject than to hold the decision until seeing Dec score...

yeah. i have a similar situation (a little lower than a 171) but yeah, schools won't look at you.

1.) it's unprofessional. what happens if you get a red mark for cheating, but they already accepting you? it's a headache for them if they already admitted you.

2.) you might be in, but you're might in. for example, some of the top 25's i applied to where my LSAT was a few points above the median had people call me which means im in their eye, but i have nothing on a decision or WL.

putting an addendum with a 171 is risky, because you can fluctuate a lot between 170 and 180 and what if you get the same score or just 1 point higher? you're gonna look like an idiot. idk if adcoms care if you look like an idiot, but why look like an idiot?

where are you applying, though? i understand retaking with a 165 or even high 160s, but a 171 is always risky if you don't have 1-2 schools you need. you can get $ though, but you need to assess the odds you fall. in terms of $, it is hard to say.

wrdoftdyretrograde
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: apps submitted but retake lsat in dec?

Postby wrdoftdyretrograde » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:07 pm

rad law wrote:
Come back when you get your LSAT.

Also your post is barely legible, seriously.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: apps submitted but retake lsat in dec?

Postby justadude55 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:09 pm

wrdoftdyretrograde wrote:rad law wrote:
Come back when you get your LSAT.

Also your post is barely legible, seriously.

pardon?

User avatar
hellome
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: apps submitted but retake lsat in dec?

Postby hellome » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:39 pm

justadude55 wrote:
wrdoftdyretrograde wrote:rad law wrote:
Come back when you get your LSAT.

Also your post is barely legible, seriously.

pardon?


haha no offense, but it really is
read your post over...

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: apps submitted but retake lsat in dec?

Postby gatorlion » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:01 am

wrdoftdyretrograde wrote:rad law wrote:
Come back when you get your LSAT.

Also your post is barely legible, seriously.


Actually it was incredibly legible, since the writing appears in the form of a standardized computer font. Legible refers to handwriting that is clear enough to read visually, not structurally. I think you meant "intelligible," which means "able to be understood." Sorry, my grammar instincts kicked in!

User avatar
veragood
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: apps submitted but retake lsat in dec?

Postby veragood » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:53 pm

I'm in the same boat here.

I have a 3.01 and 170 (took in June). I am absolutely positive I can get at least a 174 when I retake in December, and have been practice testing closer to 176. I think it's definitely worth the risk for me since while a 170 slightly forgives a low GPA, a 176 would make most schools completely forget about it (especially since it's upward trending).

The only qualm I have is that I realize that I'll be giving up the advantages of rolling admissions, but if I actually score a 175+ like I know I'm capable of, that won't matter much. Would you guys agree?

ps. I'm finishing my applications this week, though most schools won't look at my app until the 2nd LSAT is in, right?

User avatar
hellome
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: apps submitted but retake lsat in dec?

Postby hellome » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:58 pm

veragood wrote:I'm in the same boat here.

I have a 3.01 and 170 (took in June). I am absolutely positive I can get at least a 174 when I retake in December, and have been practice testing closer to 176. I think it's definitely worth the risk for me since while a 170 slightly forgives a low GPA, a 176 would make most schools completely forget about it (especially since it's upward trending).

The only qualm I have is that I realize that I'll be giving up the advantages of rolling admissions, but if I actually score a 175+ like I know I'm capable of, that won't matter much. Would you guys agree?

ps. I'm finishing my applications this week, though most schools won't look at my app until the 2nd LSAT is in, right?


right, unless you specifically ask the schools to go ahead and start reviewing your file (as opposed to holding your file until the 2nd LSAT score comes in).

i thought i wasn't going to retake but i still think about it randomly throughout the day :roll:
my compromise may be to take the feb LSAT after i get some acceptances. this way i can focus on my reach schools w/o worrying about fucking up my chances everywhere else.

YAY!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: notnecessarilyproper and 1 guest