Class Rank

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BeachedBrit

Class Rank

Postby BeachedBrit » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:24 pm

Many applications ask for your class rank and then say to estimate if you don't know. My school doesn't release this information nor do I even have much of a clue, any suggestions as to how to proceed? Worst comes to worst I'm friendly with the Dean of Students and could ask him but I'd rather not.

4for44

Re: Class Rank

Postby 4for44 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:26 pm

bump

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:26 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:Many applications ask for your class rank and then say to estimate if you don't know. My school doesn't release this information nor do I even have much of a clue, any suggestions as to how to proceed? Worst comes to worst I'm friendly with the Dean of Students and could ask him but I'd rather not.

Absolutely no reason not to ask. Ask. Get it out of the way so you can send out your applications.

Good luck!

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:27 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:Many applications ask for your class rank and then say to estimate if you don't know. My school doesn't release this information nor do I even have much of a clue, any suggestions as to how to proceed? Worst comes to worst I'm friendly with the Dean of Students and could ask him but I'd rather not.

When you submit your transcript to LSAC they have a score breakdown that shows you your school grade percentile. Use that to estimate, rounding to your advantage of course.

glacierfrost

Postby glacierfrost » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:19 pm

At my school, when you buy an academic transcript you can also request to have a letter from the university registrar that states your class rank.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:19 pm

St.Remy wrote:

When you submit your transcript to LSAC they have a score breakdown that shows you your school grade percentile. Use that to estimate, rounding to your advantage of course.

Is that grade percentile among your school's LS applicants, or among your class as a whole? I'd always assumed it was the former...

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:30 pm

It is the former which is not really desirable as students that wish to continue their studies in grad schools, particularly in this case law schools, are a self-selecting part that will do better than the whole of the university academically.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”