Should I write an Addendum for long gap in completing B.A.?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ILoveCaffeine

Should I write an Addendum for long gap in completing B.A.?

Postby ILoveCaffeine » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:02 pm

I was in school FT and needed one final class to graduate (not for my major but for a required second minor). I was working FT, got married and had several financial hardships that made it more difficult to purchase the final class and complete.

It is now 4 years later and I am finishing the class and will graduate 12/2010. I know this is an eyesore on my application but everything else is strong. High GPA, strong PS, good work experience over the last 4 years, URM, decent LSAT for the schools I want to attend.

However, I don't quite know how to craft an addendum for "I let my academic and career plans take the back seat while economic difficulties and life took over". I have learned from my mistake of letting myself be second rate but not sure that I should write an addendum about this? Is this a situation where an addendum would help or hurt my chances?

Thoughts???

Thanks in advance.

r6_philly

Re: Should I write an Addendum for long gap in completing B.A.?

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:07 pm

I wrote one when one was required. I had a 8 year gap. I did mention it in my PS, but only in passing. Many schools will ask and you will have to submit an addendum. I wouldn't send one if they don't ask that question, because if they really wanted to know they could make it a part of their app like other schools - all schools ask for convictions because they all care.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”