Do I really need to write an addendum about bad grades?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
optimism2012

Do I really need to write an addendum about bad grades?

Postby optimism2012 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:50 pm

Hello all,

My freshman year/first semester of sophomore year of college I partied too much and my GPA ended up at around a 2.96. I've had a good upward trend, and I have a decent GPA (3.3) now. Do I have to write an addendum about the first few semesters? I don't have any good excuse , I just partied half the time.

vanwinkle

Re: Do I really need to write an addendum about bad grades?

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:53 pm

optimism2012 wrote:Hello all,

My freshman year/first semester of sophomore year of college I partied too much and my GPA ended up at around a 2.96. I've had a good upward trend, and I have a decent GPA (3.3) now. Do I have to write an addendum about the first few semesters? I don't have any good excuse , I just partied half the time.

If you could spin it appropriately ("I was irresponsible during my first year but I've learned to be more responsible as a student and manage myself better since then and my upward GPA trend reflects this") it might help slightly.

Claudius

Postby Claudius » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:27 pm

I was told by two schools to address the GPA if it sticks out in an addendum regardless of the reason. Immaturity was even given as an example. Their argument was that you don't want them to use their imaginations.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:21 pm

My understanding is that law school admissions folks expect to seeing an upward grade trend & expect an explanation when this is not the case.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:37 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:My understanding is that law school admissions folks expect to seeing an upward grade trend & expect an explanation when this is not the case.

Upward grade trend, yes, but they don't expect to see a GPA as low as 2.96 in the first place.
The addendum really falls into the "won't hurt" category more than "help"; you'll avoid getting hurt by writing one, but it's not going to improve your odds of getting accepted very much at all.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:34 pm

Claudius wrote:I was told by two schools to address the GPA if it sticks out in an addendum regardless of the reason. Immaturity was even given as an example. Their argument was that you don't want them to use their imaginations.

TITCR..

However, I don't think a 2.96 freshman year on a 3.3 average really sticks out. You could send if you want, but it's not going to make a difference

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:45 pm

Do not write a GPA addendum for an upward trending GPA, unless there are very unusual circumstances involving extraordinary hardships that you would like to highlight for the admissions committee; otherwise you are raising current maturity issues based on past immaturity, not to mention exhibiting poor judgment now in writing a silly addendum to highlight poor judgment during your first year of college.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”