Whats the deal with speeding tickets?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Fred_McGriff

Whats the deal with speeding tickets?

Postby Fred_McGriff » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:54 pm

I got a couple in high school, I've since moved a bunch and registered my car in multiple different states. I think one could have been over $200, which is what most places are asking about, but others want to know all of the details about all speeding tickets I've gotten.

Is there a good centralized place to get a report about all of the speeding tickets I've ever gotten or am I going to have to call multiple state offices with no drivers license in their state etc.

Hattori Hanzo

Re: Whats the deal with speeding tickets?

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:04 pm

No centralized system.
I did not have to disclose traffic tickets on any apps. Are you sure you need to disclose? AFAIK apps ask about misdemeanors and traffic tickets are infractions in most states.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:48 pm

Some schools ask and require specific information about speeding tickets.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:38 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:No centralized system.
I did not have to disclose traffic tickets on any apps. Are you sure you need to disclose? AFAIK apps ask about misdemeanors and traffic tickets are infractions in most states.

Sure I need to disclose, looks like I'll be calling DMVs tomorrow. Awesome.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:59 pm

I had to disclose traffic violations for about 1/3 of my applications.

My advice is: skip the DMV, go straight to the local court records. They have better information.

tazmolover

Postby tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:12 pm

I predicted the Seinfeld picture.

LastChanceLA

Postby LastChanceLA » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:07 am

does anyone have a list of all the schools that require you to discuss traffic tickets?

I mean really? Traffic tickets? Who cares about subjective infractions such as "unsafe lane changes?"

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:53 am

I don't know about the full list, but I had to do it for BC, Indiana, Minnesota, U of Washington, Wash U, and University of San Diego. Washington and Lee, Vanderbilt, and Lewis and Clark also require it, according to my notes.

Of those, BC was the easiest. They have a very complicated C&F question that boils down to "have you been convicted of more than one speeding ticket in the past 5 years," which I find to be very reasonable. Minneapolis was the worst: Describe everything you've been ticketed with in a narrative statement. But knowing that Minneapolis's focus is on legal writing, and the fact that they accept FIVE PAGE personal statements, it makes me think they just want the extra writing sample.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:37 am

Bumi wrote:I don't know about the full list, but I had to do it for BC, Indiana, Minnesota, U of Washington, Wash U, and University of San Diego. Washington and Lee, Vanderbilt, and Lewis and Clark also require it, according to my notes.

Of those, BC was the easiest. They have a very complicated C&F question that boils down to "have you been convicted of more than one speeding ticket in the past 5 years," which I find to be very reasonable. Minneapolis was the worst: Describe everything you've been ticketed with in a narrative statement. But knowing that Minneapolis's focus is on legal writing, and the fact that they accept FIVE PAGE personal statements, it makes me think they just want the extra writing sample.

Are you talking about WUSTL? This is the question from their app:

"Have you ever been charged with and/or convicted of a criminal offense, including any matters that may have been expunged, or received anything other than an honorable discharge from the military?"

I didn't think that speeding tickets fell under that, but I may be wrong, in which case I have a phone call to make...

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:32 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
Bumi wrote:I don't know about the full list, but I had to do it for BC, Indiana, Minnesota, U of Washington, Wash U, and University of San Diego. Washington and Lee, Vanderbilt, and Lewis and Clark also require it, according to my notes.

Are you talking about WUSTL? This is the question from their app:

"Have you ever been charged with and/or convicted of a criminal offense, including any matters that may have been expunged, or received anything other than an honorable discharge from the military?"

I didn't think that speeding tickets fell under that, but I may be wrong, in which case I have a phone call to make...

Yeah, I can't remember if that's one of the ones I called or emailed about it. Either way, I went ahead and put it. If I were you, don't trust me and verify for yourself.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:34 pm

If it seems like you may have to include them, call/email the admissions office just to check. Some will say yes some will say no.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:17 pm

bk1 wrote:If it seems like you may have to include them, call/email the admissions office just to check. Some will say yes some will say no.

This. Also, if they as for documentation, most of the time they don't want it for speeding tickets, even if they want you to disclose them.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:10 pm

I just called them up (Wake asked for the most info) and asked what they wanted exactly, told them I was balls deep in DMV bureaucracy and because I had out of state licenses when I got all tickets and currently have a different out of state license... "Ma'am, I'm up shit river without a paddle if you want me to abide by this nonsense."

They said not a big deal, just put what you know, they don't look into speeding ticket C&F stuff. I plan on calling every school that asks about speeding tickets to find out policies before submitting an app because I'm not sure if my first speeding ticket at age 17 was over $200 or not.

Oban

Postby Oban » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:54 pm

You def don't need to disclose traffic tickets at WUSTL, the admin even laughed about that during an Ethics mini class during orientation

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:27 pm

Oban wrote:You def don't need to disclose traffic tickets at WUSTL, the admin even laughed about that during an Ethics mini class during orientation

Awesome. Well, they know about mine now.

I love when schools think applicants are hilarious for doing things that other schools think are normal. Some schools acted like I had two heads when I emailed and asked for a fee waiver. Um, other schools give them out just because I asked, relax. I'm sure it's no big deal.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”