An LSAT Chronicle...(need advice) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tipler4213

Silver

An LSAT Chronicle...(need advice)

Post by tipler4213 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:06 pm

I took the LSAT today for, yes, the third time. I first started doing some light studying for the test during the summer before my junior year, because I was certain I wanted to go to law school and wanted to see where I should be looking. I gave up studying after the summer (8 or so PTs in). I initially planned to take it the summer after my junior year, but went abroad and then got a grant for the following summer, so I pushed it back after 7 or so more PTS.

So I finally actually register for the February test. In addition to my 15 or so PTs done over the course of the year, I do maybe 8 more and do a games the Bibles. I was PTing in the 165-167 range. I got a case of the swine flu, but was pretty much recovered and thought I was going to be abroad again in June, so I took it anyway. Result: 162.

Pissed off that I dipped so much, I decided to take it in June. I registered for the Blueprint online course and did about 85% of its homework, all the tests it includes, and the remaining recent tests.I was consistently missing none on games at this point, 1/2 on LR, and 4/5 on RC for an overall PT average of 172. I took the test and scored a 165. -0 LG, -6 LR, and -11 RC. Turns out, I double-bubbled one RC, which made me miss the following 4, so instead of a 170, I got a 165.

October 9th: I decide what the hell, all I have to do is not double-bubble. So, I do the 10 oldest PTs (all I have left) and the 15% of Blueprint stuff I had left. Through the first four sections, I feel very good. Assuming an RC of around -3, LR of -3, and I know I aced the games section. Turns out the games was experimental, and I get to section 5 and bomb it. I couldn't get the inference of the first game, went to the last and struggled. All in all, I took a lot of "sounds right" type guesses to finish the section. Predicting 5-8 misses. That would bring my predicted high at -11, and my predicted low around -19.

Should I cancel? I won't be retaking again for a variety of reasons. Addendum? I'm sure they wouldn't care I had the flu, misbubbled, or for some reason bombed a section I aced in June. Thoughts?

(For your reference, I am applying mainly to Joint Degree programs at GW, Georgetown, Texas, Boston U, Virginia, Northwestern. I have a very legit job, but only one year experience. My GPA is a 3.88)

trudat15

Silver

Re: An LSAT Chronicle...(need advice)

Post by trudat15 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:31 pm

tipler4213 wrote:I took the LSAT today for, yes, the third time. I first started doing some light studying for the test during the summer before my junior year, because I was certain I wanted to go to law school and wanted to see where I should be looking. I gave up studying after the summer (8 or so PTs in). I initially planned to take it the summer after my junior year, but went abroad and then got a grant for the following summer, so I pushed it back after 7 or so more PTS.

So I finally actually register for the February test. In addition to my 15 or so PTs done over the course of the year, I do maybe 8 more and do a games the Bibles. I was PTing in the 165-167 range. I got a case of the swine flu, but was pretty much recovered and thought I was going to be abroad again in June, so I took it anyway. Result: 162.

Pissed off that I dipped so much, I decided to take it in June. I registered for the Blueprint online course and did about 85% of its homework, all the tests it includes, and the remaining recent tests.I was consistently missing none on games at this point, 1/2 on LR, and 4/5 on RC for an overall PT average of 172. I took the test and scored a 165. -0 LG, -6 LR, and -11 RC. Turns out, I double-bubbled one RC, which made me miss the following 4, so instead of a 170, I got a 165.

October 9th: I decide what the hell, all I have to do is not double-bubble. So, I do the 10 oldest PTs (all I have left) and the 15% of Blueprint stuff I had left. Through the first four sections, I feel very good. Assuming an RC of around -3, LR of -3, and I know I aced the games section. Turns out the games was experimental, and I get to section 5 and bomb it. I couldn't get the inference of the first game, went to the last and struggled. All in all, I took a lot of "sounds right" type guesses to finish the section. Predicting 5-8 misses. That would bring my predicted high at -11, and my predicted low around -19.

Should I cancel? I won't be retaking again for a variety of reasons. Addendum? I'm sure they wouldn't care I had the flu, misbubbled, or for some reason bombed a section I aced in June. Thoughts?

(For your reference, I am applying mainly to Joint Degree programs at GW, Georgetown, Texas, Boston U, Virginia, Northwestern. I have a very legit job, but only one year experience. My GPA is a 3.88)
Since your predicted high/low have such a wide range, it would be hard to tell you what to do. If you were to get your high, you would be able to live with a -11 (might be a 170 or high 160s). If you get your low, that would in the low 160s, which I imagine I would cancel.
Though, since you arent taking it again, and the schools you just named only take your highest score, you could just let it ride and hope for the best.

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:12 pm

Depends. Do you really want those schools you listed? Other than 1 or maybe 2, you're a sure reject with a 165/3.88.

WhatSarahSaid

Bronze

Post by WhatSarahSaid » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:09 pm

From the information you provided, it sounds like there's a moderate chance you improved on your 165, so you should almost definitely not cancel. The risk of having a third score that's lower than a 165 is heavily outweighed by the benefit that a couple more points could bring to you, especially based on the caliber of schools you're looking at.

Whether you should include an addendum will probably depend on the score you get on this LSAT, but it doesn't sound like you'd have a compelling argument for why they should believe that your scores don't fully reflect your ability.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:13 pm

Tough call. So long as you think that you achieved at least a 164, then keep the score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”