Addendum Worthy Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dirk Lang

New

Addendum Worthy

Post by Dirk Lang » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:31 pm

For those of us sweating the small stuff...

Say you have about a 3.5 GPA. One semester you got a C, and that semester brought down your GPA by a decent amount but nothing huge. Is it worth it to write an addendum about that lone C on your transcript? Only worth it if you have something to say?
For my case I'd literally be saying, "I wasn't sick, I liked the class, liked the professor, it was just hard but I'm glad I took it" but I'm sure lots of people have this situation, so a general answer is good too.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Re: Addendum Worthy

Post by BlueDiamond » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:37 pm

I have the same situation.. went to a liberal arts school.. only mine would read "they mad me take Calculus.. lucky I got a C... look it's my only one.. doesn't math suck?"

Edit: I'm not actually writing any addendum.. I'm a fan of the idea that they don't care what the reason is they care what they report

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:47 pm

For one class, don't bother. Addenda should be written to explain significant mitigating factors, not to try to explain away every instance in which you weren't picture-perfect. You're really just wasting the ad comm's time with such a statement. It's not even remotely worth it.

nihilism is key

Bronze

Post by nihilism is key » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:51 pm

I think a good way to answers this question is to ask yourself: If you were an adcomm reading an application, would a lone C really concern you? Given that all of these adcomms were students at one time or another (and some still are) they are very aware that there are a variety of reasons that people perform less than their typical self in a class or two (didn't like the class, took a hard class just because you liked the subject matter, illness on test day). And given the number of applications these adcomms have to go through, they appreciate when applicants use their discretion when it comes to extra paper in the file. I have heard that from more than one adcomm member during info sessions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”