(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:46 pm

Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stringer Bell

Re: Is a lower ranked school worth it with my situation

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:58 pm

Nobody can really answer that for you definitively. Your folks picking up the tab is nice. You still have the opportunity cost of 3 years of time and it's going to be tough to get a decent job. You have to weigh it against different options such as using that money from your folks to open up a Subway sandwich shop or something.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:05 pm

I'm sure you've read this a million times but retake. if you can get into a school like Tulane, or even a T2 and have it all paid for then you can't really go wrong. Obv t14 is optimal but if you can't score that high then you have to look at your next option. and if you have the option of 3 years of LS for free cause someone else is footing the bill then I'd, personally, jump at it. I would highly recommend avoiding T3/T4 if at all possible (insert Tulane joke here :roll: ).

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:06 pm

I think if there are schools that you want to go to that are in regions you would like to practice that you can get into, you should go and visit those schools and figure it out for yourself. There are some people who say that having a JD and not using it can mess up your ability to get other jobs. If I were you, I'd look into this too.

FWIW, if I were in your situation, I know exactly what schools I'd be applying to right now.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:08 pm

There's nothing you'd rather be doing that your parents are willing to bankroll?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:13 pm

It's still 3 years of your life and having the JD will make it hard to find employment in other jobs considering they will consider you a flight risk. Some T3/T4's in markets that they dominate may be worth it, but even for free going to NYLS, John Marshall Chicago, etc is a bad idea.

I don't know about you, but I would feel like a dunce if I was wasting my parents' money for a high chance at unemployment.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:15 pm

bk1 wrote:It's still 3 years of your life and having the JD will make it hard to find employment in other jobs considering they will consider you a flight risk. Some T3/T4's in markets that they dominate may be worth it, but even for free going to NYLS, John Marshall Chicago, etc is a bad idea.

I don't know about you, but I would feel like a dunce if I was wasting my parents' money for a high chance at unemployment.

Don't put it on your resume, and don't talk about it in interviews.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:18 pm

r6_philly wrote:Don't put it on your resume, and don't talk about it in interviews.

That was my intuition at first and what I was going to respond saying that, however how do you explain a 3 year gap in your employment history if it comes up during an interview? This seems especially likely if you are looking at non-legal employment the year or two after law school and they want to know what you've been doing the past 3-4 years. It just doesn't seem feasible to completely get away from this when the gap is so fresh.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:25 pm

Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:31 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Yes, because no graduate from a T3/T4 has ever found work as a lawyer, right?

I change my mind. This is a fantastic decision and nothing can go wrong as you burn through your parents' money. I'm sure they'll be super proud of their little lawyer child.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:41 pm

would they bankroll a JD/MBA? Then you would seem like less of a flight risk to non-JD jobs

(and I doubt it will decrease OP's biglaw chances since getting BL from a TTTT is very unlikely).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:42 pm

bk1 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Don't put it on your resume, and don't talk about it in interviews.

That was my intuition at first and what I was going to respond saying that, however how do you explain a 3 year gap in your employment history if it comes up during an interview? This seems especially likely if you are looking at non-legal employment the year or two after law school and they want to know what you've been doing the past 3-4 years. It just doesn't seem feasible to completely get away from this when the gap is so fresh.

Do a joint degree ;)

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:43 pm

Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:45 pm

gwuorbust wrote:would they bankroll a JD/MBA? Then you would seem like less of a flight risk to non-JD jobs

(and I doubt it will decrease OP's biglaw chances since getting BL from a TTTT is very unlikely).

Second this. Find a T3/T4 school with a strong MBA program regionally and a easier/shorter curriculum. Approach it as if going to MBA school with the option of getting a joint JD. You have option to get jobs in both sectors, and you can tailor your application/resume to fit the job. You will have a better chance to land industry/corp. legal jobs as well.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:53 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:would they bankroll a JD/MBA? Then you would seem like less of a flight risk to non-JD jobs

They actually prefer I do the JD/MBA. But most programs require you to be accepted into both programs separately. And I don't have the work experience to get into the MBA program.

so you are coming straight from undergrad.. go work for a year or two and then take your GMAT and LSAT again. if your LSAT doesn't go up then at least you can get an MBA. and maybe by then you will be able to get your LSAT up. in which case you may not even need an MBA. either way, taking time off for-the-win.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:01 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
so you are coming straight from undergrad.. go work for a year or two and then take your GMAT and LSAT again. if your LSAT doesn't go up then at least you can get an MBA. and maybe by then you will be able to get your LSAT up. in which case you may not even need an MBA. either way, taking time off for-the-win.

Agreed.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:18 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Yes, because no graduate from a T3/T4 has ever found work as a lawyer, right?

Well done Counselor!! You should definitely go to law school!!

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:23 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:

Well done Counselor!! You should definitely go to law school!!

I feel like this website is the only voice of reason that stands between law schools and everyone else. before ppl come here it is like ZoMgLS=$$$IMgunnaLiveDaLIFE!!YippEEE!!!!!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:26 pm

What are your numbers and where do you want to practice?

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:27 pm

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:29 pm

If you really want to be a lawyer, know what that entails, you're a hustler baby and will be able to find your own job, without the help of a school, and are ok with limited options and limited practice areas, then its fine.

I went to a TTTT and I've done better than many T14 grads. There are also many T14 grads that blow me out of the water. It is what it is.. But don't just go because its something to do for 3 years and its "free." Your parents worked hard for that money (I'm guessing), and you should make sure this is something you really want...

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:33 pm

Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:44 pm

I'm not saying that it is t14 or bust. My own course speaks to that. I'm going to Tulane cause of the schly I was offered and my life goals. but when you make statements like:

it leads me to conclude that you have no idea what is going on with the legal market right now. at the very least it indicates that you have not done a cost/benefit calculation of what going to a better school would lead to. most layppl assume that going to LS is an immediate path to models and bottles. that is a myth perpetuated by the respect layppl have for lawyers, the inflated biglaw salaries and junk info LS's publish.

I offered you a reasonable course of action. if you choose to ignore that cause you think you MUST go to LS right away then that is your own choice. just know what you are getting yourself into.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:48 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Complaining about scoring above the 90th percentile? C'mon that's not reasonable.

It all depends on what is available that you are competing for. If you are outside of the 99th percentile in basketball playing ability, you aren't really going to have the option of making a living with that as your career choice.

If your parents are footing the bill, give it a shot for a semester and see how you do if it's something you really want that badly. But you asked for advice, so don't get offended if people tell you there might be better risk return options out there. The job market is really bad in general. The legal job market is extraordinarily bad.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:57 pm

Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”