Withdrawing ED application

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
apple430

Withdrawing ED application

Postby apple430 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:19 pm

I was wondering if you get into another school before you hear back from the school you applied ED to, can you withdraw you ED application without any negative consequences?

MillerTime

Re: Withdrawing ED application

Postby MillerTime » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:27 pm

I'm pretty sure that you can withdraw your ED application as long as you haven't already been accepted to the school to which you applied ED. I called a school a while ago asking them if you could bump your ED app down to RD before they make a decision and they said yes, as long as you request it in writing.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:45 pm

Anybody else know about this? I thought once you signed the ED contract that was it.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:09 pm

evandm wrote:I'm pretty sure that you can withdraw your ED application as long as you haven't already been accepted to the school to which you applied ED. I called a school a while ago asking them if you could bump your ED app down to RD before they make a decision and they said yes, as long as you request it in writing.

This runs a counter to all the advice I have heard on TLS. Would you mind stating which school told you this information? If anyone out there is considering following this advice, I would confirm it with the school that they plan to ED to. Breaking an ED contract has serious consequences.

etown989

Postby etown989 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:45 pm

Tiva wrote:
evandm wrote:I'm pretty sure that you can withdraw your ED application as long as you haven't already been accepted to the school to which you applied ED. I called a school a while ago asking them if you could bump your ED app down to RD before they make a decision and they said yes, as long as you request it in writing.

This runs a counter to all the advice I have heard on TLS. Would you mind stating which school told you this information? If anyone out there is considering following this advice, I would confirm it with the school that they plan to ED to. Breaking an ED contract has serious consequences.

I think by actually following this advice... you are contacting the school.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:14 pm

etown989 wrote:
Tiva wrote:

I think by actually following this advice... you are contacting the school.

The poster only stated that he/she contacted a school. The first statement makes it sound (at least to me) that evandm is "pretty sure" this is standard practice across schools. The point of my post was to encourage people to contact schools on their own (as the evandm did) to ensure that this is in fact an acceptable practice. I would hate for an unsuspecting TLS lurker to read evandm's post and take it as a widely held TLS fact.

EDIT: Personally, I would try to get an answer from the school in writing (email would be easiest). Just in case down the line you find out that person giving the advice was misinformed you can point to a concrete transcript to support your position.

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:25 pm

It should up to the school in question. As noted above, you will definitely want to a) contact the school you EDed to b) get it in writing if they agree to revoke the ED contract.

As I am sure you are aware, the one thing you do not want to do is to accept at another school or tell another school false information regarding any binding contracts you have in circulation. I'm not saying this as empty moralizing--it will not turn out well.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”