Admissions and Updated LSATs

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
spets

Admissions and Updated LSATs

Postby spets » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:09 pm

I originally posted this in the LSAT forums, but I realized it's probably better suited in this section (unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to delete the other topic).

I have a quick question regarding how law school admissions view this scenario. I currently have a 161 - if I went ahead and applied in the next month or two using this score, how will admissions deal with an updated score if I took the December LSAT? Would I have to inform them of my plan to take the Dec LSAT when I applied or will LSAC flag my application to inform them that an updated score has indeed arrived?

Thanks in advance.

gdane

Re: Admissions and Updated LSATs

Postby gdane » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:18 pm

Its all or nothing. You can ask them to refrain from reviewing your application until your new score comes in or they can review your application with the current 161. If you choose the latter option keep in mind that by the time your new score comes in, the school will most likely have already made a decision on your file and your new score would probably have no impact. Also, you have to inform schools that youre taking the Dec test. LSAC will not flag anything for you.

Good luck!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:39 pm

gdane5 wrote:Its all or nothing. You can ask them to refrain from reviewing your application until your new score comes in or they can review your application with the current 161.

Not really. If they see you have a retake pending, most schools (if not all) have the policy of waiting until the next score comes in to make a decision. Doesn't mean they won't look at you app, however.

If you choose the latter option keep in mind that by the time your new score comes in, the school will most likely have already made a decision on your file and your new score would probably have no impact. Also, you have to inform schools that youre taking the Dec test. LSAC will not flag anything for you.

Good luck!

As to the bolded, no. It will almost assuredly have an impact if it is higher.

dowon

Postby dowon » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:46 pm

i had a question about this too. if we send in our apps now, take the december test (without telling adcoms), will this affect scholarship offers? i have heard of people using later LSAT scores to negotiate--does this actually work?

spets

Postby spets » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:53 pm

Uh oh - I seem to have two different answers. Can anyone else affirm what either gdane or rad law has said?

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:57 pm

spets wrote:Uh oh - I seem to have two different answers. Can anyone else affirm what either gdane or rad law has said?

You can go with whatever explanation you want. Im in this boat and have decided to wait until I get my new score before applying. I dont want any of the committees seeing my application without my new score.

Destined

Postby Destined » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:10 pm

I do not see how law schools would know if youre taking another LSAT unless you tell them. I talked to LSAC and they said that they dont inform schools you have a pending LSAT

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:13 pm

My understanding is that rad law has the credited response.

etown989

Postby etown989 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:57 pm

I was under the impression that they put it off to the side and do not even bother with it until the new score comes in. I can't imagine an admissions person being bored one day and reading apps that they cant even make a decision on yet. What would be the point in them reading over it?

akili

Postby akili » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:03 pm

Well crap. I submitted a couple of apps early (even though I'm retaking in October), including my dream school. Did I just screw myself over?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:36 am

etown989 wrote:I was under the impression that they put it off to the side and do not even bother with it until the new score comes in. I can't imagine an admissions person being bored one day and reading apps that they cant even make a decision on yet. What would be the point in them reading over it?

I'm pretty sure they read it over. For example, my first LSAT was good enough for UGA, Emory, and UF, and I got the acceptances about 4-5 days after my 2nd LSAT score came out. They had their minds made up.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”