Is this type of language common in a LOR?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LSU Undergrad

Is this type of language common in a LOR?

Postby LSU Undergrad » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:32 pm

I had a professor who I have quite a close relationship with write my LOR. I did not have any input in the letter, he sent it without consulting me, which seems like the right thing to do. Anyway, he gave me a copy of what he sent to LSAC.

Well let's just say, I was a little bit surprised at the type of language he used to describe me. Fortunately, it was positive, almost too positive. Is this common place for a LOR? Will a LOR like this work in my favor to any extent or can it work against me? How will it be perceived? Will law schools think I had input on it?

Just to give you an idea, here are two things he said that seemed almost hyperbolic:

"He possesses nothing short of blinding brilliance."
"They will be talking about his legal briefs long after he retires."

IAFG

Re: Is this type of language common in a LOR?

Postby IAFG » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:37 pm

almost sounds sarcastic

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:38 pm

just judging by those two statements I'd get a different LOR from someone else

LSU Undergrad

Postby LSU Undergrad » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:43 pm

I know that's what I feared, but he's being a 100% authentic. He thinks really highly of me and even gives his contact information. My hopes would be if a law school found it fishy, they would contact him and see that he's being dead serious.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:25 pm

Even if he's serious, no one's gonna be talking about anyone's legal briefs for years to come. That isn't "almost" hyperbolic. That is hyperbolically hyperbolic. (I know it doesn't work that way, but it was fun.)
They might not give this prof credit. Worst case scenario, they wonder if he's a lil' loony.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:27 pm

you said that you have a good relationship with him.. take these posts as proof that we all think he should change it for you :p.. but really just ask him to revise the parts that are a stretch and send in a new one.. just be nice about it and he won't care

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:58 pm

The thing about LORs is that professors are never taught how to write them. One day you become a Professor and then students ask you to write them. So there is no real standardized process of becoming a letter writer. Some profs learn how and others don't.

I say this because I am sure it is quite common to get strange LORs. Profs are an eclectic bunch. I suspect the letter will neither help nor hurt you. They'll assume he was being positive (which is good), take his words as hyperbolically hyperbolic, or possibly an attempt at humor (I'd laugh quite a bit if I were an adcomm), and go on to the rest of your application.

I wouldn't worry about it.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:02 pm

The Real Jack McCoy wrote:... take his words as hyperbolically hyperbolic...

<3

EricBerry

Postby EricBerry » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:23 pm

If I worked in admissions, I'd definitely get a good laugh out of those lines but I don't think it would reflect negatively on you. If the rest of the letter is that goofy, I think I'd try to find another professor to write one.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:29 pm

The Real Jack McCoy wrote:The thing about LORs is that professors are never taught how to write them. One day you become a Professor and then students ask you to write them. So there is no real standardized process of becoming a letter writer. Some profs learn how and others don't.

I say this because I am sure it is quite common to get strange LORs. Profs are an eclectic bunch. I suspect the letter will neither help nor hurt you. They'll assume he was being positive (which is good), take his words as hyperbolically hyperbolic, or possibly an attempt at humor (I'd laugh quite a bit if I were an adcomm), and go on to the rest of your application.

I wouldn't worry about it.

This. Your prof is positive about you to the point of being cheesy. So what? Of all the things to worry about, this has to be like 358th on the list.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:25 pm

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:39 pm

On one hand it is a little much but on the other the adcomms are going to look at it and know the professor thinks really highly of you. As long as the professor gives some examples of your "blinding brilliance", I think it won't be much different than if you prof introduced you as merely intelligent and focused, or intellectually curious, or anything else.

tazmolover

Postby tazmolover » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:39 pm

I don't think it's common but I don't think it will hurt.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”