Stanford Target Letter - Importance?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NV53A
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:44 am

Stanford Target Letter - Importance?

Postby NV53A » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:30 pm

As I am finishing up my application, I noticed Stanford asks for 2 Stanford specific recommendations (Although not required) as opposed to 2 general. I may be able to squeeze out 1, but how important is this target letter? Is there significant disadvantages for applying with general LORs?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Stanford Target Letter - Importance?

Postby im_blue » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:04 pm

I heard straight from Dean Deal that they highly value targeted letters that specifically state why the applicant would thrive at Stanford.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Stanford Target Letter - Importance?

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:44 pm

The application instruction tells you how important it is. They made a point of putting it in the instruction ...

NV53A
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:44 am

Re: Stanford Target Letter - Importance?

Postby NV53A » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:13 pm

What about for applicants that have been out of school for a while and it's really hard to ask a professor why their former student would thrive specifically at Stanford? I think most would fall into this category unless their professors had some relation to Stanford law and know a bit about their program?

User avatar
UnitarySpace
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Stanford Target Letter - Importance?

Postby UnitarySpace » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:16 pm

Everybody that I know personally who wrote a target letter got in. Everyone that I know who didn't got rejected.

ivantheterbl
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:04 am

Re: Stanford Target Letter - Importance?

Postby ivantheterbl » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:39 pm

So I asked my two LOR writers to just do general letters, which they have already completed and sent in-- Would it be better to ask them for a Stanford specific letter (I feel bad asking because it reflects poorly on me/is a hassle for them), or would it be beneficial to ask two different professors who I feel would write just as highly to do Stanford specific letters and use those?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Stanford Target Letter - Importance?

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:18 pm

ivantheterbl wrote:So I asked my two LOR writers to just do general letters, which they have already completed and sent in-- Would it be better to ask them for a Stanford specific letter (I feel bad asking because it reflects poorly on me/is a hassle for them), or would it be beneficial to ask two different professors who I feel would write just as highly to do Stanford specific letters and use those?


It wouldn't be a hassle if they feel that you really should be going to Stanford, Stanford is right for you, and that they should do what they can to help you get in Stanford.

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Stanford Target Letter - Importance?

Postby BioEBear2010 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:30 pm

UnitarySpace wrote:Everybody that I know personally who wrote a target letter got in. Everyone that I know who didn't got rejected.

You must not know many people who wrote a targeted letter, haha.

But seriously, it helps.

User avatar
UnitarySpace
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Stanford Target Letter - Importance?

Postby UnitarySpace » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:31 pm

hahaha you got tricked multiple sclerosis

ATR
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: Stanford Target Letter - Importance?

Postby ATR » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:37 pm

UnitarySpace wrote:Everybody that I know personally who wrote a target letter got in. Everyone that I know who didn't got rejected.

How many people do you know? 2? 10?

Sample size consideration.

User avatar
theadw
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:05 pm

Re: Stanford Target Letter - Importance?

Postby theadw » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:39 pm

I had no targeted letters, and I did just fine.

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Stanford Target Letter - Importance?

Postby BioEBear2010 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:57 pm

theadw wrote:I had no targeted letters, and I did just fine.

Yeah, but you're a beast. Also, that fire drill was ridiculous today :D

ivantheterbl
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:04 am

Re: Stanford Target Letter - Importance?

Postby ivantheterbl » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:11 pm

[/quote]
It wouldn't be a hassle if they feel that you really should be going to Stanford, Stanford is right for you, and that they should do what they can to help you get in Stanford.[/quote]

Yes but I don't want them to feel as if I dropped the ball by not being on top of this earlier, so maybe sending four total LORs (2 stanford specific and two general) would be a better idea??

godofcoffee
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:02 am

Re: Stanford Target Letter - Importance?

Postby godofcoffee » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:17 pm

In this vein, do you guys think it would be substantially better to have 2 targeted letters, rather than having just 1? And does the recommender need to have substantial ties to Stanford?

This is totally throwing me for a spin, since I want to go to Stanford but don't really know any profs that taught law there or anything.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Stanford Target Letter - Importance?

Postby MrKappus » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:36 pm

godofcoffee wrote:In this vein, do you guys think it would be substantially better to have 2 targeted letters, rather than having just 1? And does the recommender need to have substantial ties to Stanford?

This is totally throwing me for a spin, since I want to go to Stanford but don't really know any profs that taught law there or anything.


Yes. Everyone who goes to Stanford got a rec from a person that went there.

I wouldn't stress too much about your app.

godofcoffee
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:02 am

Re: Stanford Target Letter - Importance?

Postby godofcoffee » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:51 am

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I don't know - I went to an info session the other day where the presenter pretty much told me that people shouldn't go to law school directly from college, which made me worry that it'd be an uphill battle.

So I'm assuming you don't think that the person needs to know Stanford. What did you guys do for recs, then? Just give your recommenders a list of the qualities that Stanford wants and ask them to talk about how you have those?

MrKappus wrote:
godofcoffee wrote:In this vein, do you guys think it would be substantially better to have 2 targeted letters, rather than having just 1? And does the recommender need to have substantial ties to Stanford?

This is totally throwing me for a spin, since I want to go to Stanford but don't really know any profs that taught law there or anything.


Yes. Everyone who goes to Stanford got a rec from a person that went there.

I wouldn't stress too much about your app.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 0LawSchool, mrtux45, sonyco, spqr351 and 6 guests