Why X Essays

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
X_Soda

Why X Essays

Postby X_Soda » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:59 am

Hey all,

I'm looking over apps (planning on finishing everything up after I take the LSAT on Saturday), and I've noticed that some schools have an optional "What about this school makes you want to apply?" essay while others do not. I'm wondering if it would be appropriate to attach a "Why this school" essay to an application that does not even offer that as an optional essay. Also, some schools have a list of topics to choose from for an optional essay. Would it be acceptable to choose one of the topics (like diversity) and ALSO include an essay about why attending that specific school would be desirable to me? I ask because my relatively low GPA and likely-to-be-high LSAT place me in the position of applying to some schools where my LSAT will be WAY above the 75th percentile, and I would like to convince these schools that I sincerely would like to attend so they don't YP me.

MrAnon

Re: Why X Essays

Postby MrAnon » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:45 pm

the schools know you want to attend. Unfortunately numbers are the name of the game. I wouldn't waste the time.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:50 pm

Unless you have an especially convincing reason why you would attend that school, that isn't laid out in any other portion of your application, I would not write one. Many law school admissions committees are very small and recieve thousands of applications. That means that they have to read an awful lot of essays already and may not be happy to have to read your throw away list of reasons why you like their school. On the other hand if they ask for it then I would go ahead and submit one as it shows you are not too lazy to write one.

username99

Postby username99 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:06 pm

bdubs wrote:Unless you have an especially convincing reason why you would attend that school, that isn't laid out in any other portion of your application, I would not write one. Many law school admissions committees are very small and recieve thousands of applications. That means that they have to read an awful lot of essays already and may not be happy to have to read your throw away list of reasons why you like their school. On the other hand if they ask for it then I would go ahead and submit one as it shows you are not too lazy to write one.

Sad but seemingly true

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”