Stanford Evaluations???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ivantheterbl

Stanford Evaluations???

Postby ivantheterbl » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:33 am

So my applications are pretty much all set and ready to go when I notice that Stanford Law recommends 2 evaluations-- I didn't do the evaluations because most said it wasn't a big deal and I feel I will have two strong LORs, but Stanford is certainly a reach for me so I don't want to be denied because of the evals-- Should I get two evaluators or will it not really matter for the application?

r6_philly

Re: Stanford Evaluations???

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:43 am

ivantheterbl wrote:So my applications are pretty much all set and ready to go when I notice that Stanford Law recommends 2 evaluations-- I didn't do the evaluations because most said it wasn't a big deal and I feel I will have two strong LORs, but Stanford is certainly a reach for me so I don't want to be denied because of the evals-- Should I get two evaluators or will it not really matter for the application?

Yes they did note in the instructions that they value stanford specific LOR's. So not spending the effort is not doing you any favors.

ivantheterbl

Postby ivantheterbl » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:26 am

I'm not worried about my LORs, I'm asking about the evaluations...

yellowmellow

Postby yellowmellow » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:30 am

I thought Stanford had its own evaluations that you were supposed to complete. The "Statement of Instructor Form C"

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:32 am

ivantheterbl wrote:I'm not worried about my LORs, I'm asking about the evaluations...

The evaluations are supposed to be filled out by your LOR writers and sent in to LSAC together attached to the LOR, so if they are indeed writing targeted letters, why wouldn't they fill out the evaluations too? If Stanford expresses that it wants school-specific recommendations, then it must want you to do it their way. It is not required but it shows your commitment.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:33 am

yellowmellow wrote:I thought Stanford had its own evaluations that you were supposed to complete. The "Statement of Instructor Form C"

Form C's instruction states "attach a separate statement to this form" meaning the LOR is to be attached to the Form C by the recommendation writer.

yellowmellow

Postby yellowmellow » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:34 am

r6_philly wrote:
yellowmellow wrote:I thought Stanford had its own evaluations that you were supposed to complete. The "Statement of Instructor Form C"

Form C's instruction states "attach a separate statement to this form" meaning the LOR is to be attached to the Form C by the recommendation writer.

Thanks. Thats what I thought

NV53A

Postby NV53A » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:20 pm

So does the recommender turn in directly to LSAC the form C and the Stanford-specific recommendation letter?

ivantheterbl

Postby ivantheterbl » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:52 pm

Alright so I kinda messed that up, I did not see the Form C/strong emphasis on a Stanford focused letter. Should I definitely have some professors do the evaluation piece then in addition to more generalized LORs??

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:07 pm

They recommend that you do Form C and a Stanford-specific letter, but according to LSAC, they also recommend that you do the LSAC evaluation on top of that. I am not sure why.
Ivantheterbl, I would ask your recommenders to do a Stanford-specific letter and fill out Form C. They have to be sent together to LSAC. You cannot just add it to the general letter. Since this is the first year of LSAC evaluations, no one knows how much they will be valued, but I think Stanford will value Form C and a Stanford-specific letter more than a general letter and LSAC evaluation. (Of course, you can ask your recommenders to do both.)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:08 pm

NV53A wrote:So does the recommender turn in directly to LSAC the form C and the Stanford-specific recommendation letter?

Yup, here is the instruction from the online app:

6. Two Letters of Recommendation. Stanford requires at least two letters of recommendation to be sent directly through LSAC utilizing the Letter of Recommendation Service. Letters sent directly to the Office of Admissions will not be accepted.

Please be aware of the high value Stanford places on school-specific letters of recommendation. If you choose to provide us with a targeted letter, note that your recommender must complete and submit a LSAC Letter of Recommendation form, the Statement of Instructor (Form C), and the letter of recommendation directly to LSAC. All three documents must be submitted to LSAC simultaneously for proper processing.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”