Any shot at Columbia?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Any shot at Columbia?

Postby stellasaurusrex » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:42 am

Hellooo. I was planning on applying for Columbia's SIPA school for a Master's but have since decided that I may be better off going to law school (I want to study international law.) I think that my shot of getting into the Master's program is good, but that my chances of getting into the law school there are slim. As I think I am restricted from applying to both simultaneously, is it worth a shot for fall 2011 admission? I'm taking the LSAT this Sunday. I have a 3.76 GPA from a state school, but I was a member of the honors college. My GPA was actually a solid 3.9 until the final semester, when I took double the recommended credits and worked on my senior thesis. I double-majored and received an international relations certificate. I was very active on campus and had two jobs. I also have been teaching abroad, speak a couple of languages, and have work experience. I am a strong writer and am fairly confident I can put together a strong personal statement.

I am also a fairly unique applicant as I am adopted, have a learning disability, and I am gay...

Oh, and my scores as of right now are in the 168-170 range. I know if I get 170 my chances improve significantly, but I don't know if this is going to happen on test day.

I know that's a lot of info, but any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

Re: Any shot at Columbia?

Postby im_blue » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:12 am

I think you'll need a 171-172 for a shot at Columbia.

Re: Any shot at Columbia?

Postby vsl89 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:16 am

im_blue wrote:I think you'll need a 171-172 for a shot at Columbia.

+ 1. Depending on how well you tell your story, i.e. being gay, learning disability, etc. you might be able to squeak in since your GPA, at least, is above their median.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”