URM...Should I sit out a cycle?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
briggslj

URM...Should I sit out a cycle?

Postby briggslj » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:00 am

I took the Dec 2009 LSAT. I totally did not know what happened. My score was really low.
I started to study over the summer for the Oct. 9 LSAT.
I have been getting really low PTs results 150s...low 150s.
My mother went into the hospital this past week; she is very ill.
Now, I have been getting like 140s on my PTs.
I'm thinking about sitting out a cycle.
I want to take a prep course as well. Kaplan (1/8-2/9) and Princeton Review (11/6-2/9) are offered in my area.
I only want like a 150-155 on the actually test. I understand that I'm a weak test taker.

Other factors from undergrad: 3.89 GPA (2nd in my class), Honors Student with an Honors Thesis, Studied abroad in England, Interned at the State Capitol.

I graduate from undergrad in 10 weeks as either Magna or Summa Cum Laude.

Should I be a "no-show" for the Oct. 9th test, take a prep course, take the Feb. LSAT and have the June LSAT as a back up....What
else could I do if I sit out a cycle?
I just want to be accepted at a decent law school with a scholarship.

Thanks for your time!

Best of luck to everyone!

bk1

Re: URM...Should I sit out a cycle?

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:22 am

I would sit out if you don't mind. Focus on your mother for now and take a class when you are ready. That will allow you to zone in for an LSAT in either February, June, or September of next year and give you plenty of time to get everything together.

briggslj

Postby briggslj » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:35 am

Thank you so much, bk1!

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:43 am

Definitely sit out a cycle. Also, don't take Kaplan if possible, I took it and did not really find it helpful. If you are good at getting yourself motivated to study take Blueprint: The Movie (if you really want a class) or you can check out the many threads on here that have study plans. You can definitely move up to the 160's with a decent amount of studying. Study from when you graduate till February and leave June as a back-up if you need it. Don't just shoot for the 150's you can do better than that, your GPA is great so I highly doubt you are a "weak test-taker". Good luck and best wishes to you and your mom.

briggslj

Postby briggslj » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:58 am

LSpleaseee, thanks so much.
I have tried the self-study way.
I will probably get a course.
The only two offered in my are Kaplan and Princeton Review; However, PR course is so early.

LastChanceLA

Postby LastChanceLA » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:33 am

Sit out! For starters, I would suggest you focus on your mother, and I hope she is okay.

When things with her are situated take a prep course for the LSAT and retake it when you feel like you are ready. Keep in mind that the LSAT is a learnable test. Even if you arent a great test taker the LSAT is something that can be perfected.

Dont sell yourself short!

briggslj

Postby briggslj » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:10 am

Thank you, LastChanceLA.

I'm trying not to sell myself short.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:16 am

You have a LOT going for you with your GPA and decent softs. As a URM, if you can score a bit higher on the LSAT, there is pretty much no limit on where you could go as a URM (and get money at great places to boot).

Spend the time focusing on your mother. Always takes priority. Then study like crazy and beat the LSAT, then go to whatever law school you want.

briggslj

Postby briggslj » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:29 am

Cigrainger, thanks. I'm so nervous about the LSAT. I believe that a prep course will help a great deal. After I graduate in Dec., I will not have anything else to focus on but the LSAT. I'm thinking about going with the Kaplan course, which is being offered 1/8-2/9. I would take the Feb. LSAT and have the June as a back up.

What else could I do while I sit out?

My mother is doing really well. She has at home treatments.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:34 am

briggslj wrote:Cigrainger, thanks. I'm so nervous about the LSAT. I believe that a prep course will help a great deal. After I graduate in Dec., I will not have anything else to focus on but the LSAT. I'm thinking about going with the Kaplan course, which is being offered 1/8-2/9. I would take the Feb. LSAT and have the June as a back up.

What else could I do while I sit out?

My mother is doing really well. She has at home treatments.

I agree with the advice posted above. I'd recommend against the Kaplan class. Try looking into Powerscore or Blueprint courses. Best of luck to you :).

op-ti

Postby op-ti » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:35 am

cigrainger wrote:You have a LOT going for you with your GPA and decent softs. As a URM, if you can score a bit higher on the LSAT, there is pretty much no limit on where you could go as a URM (and get money at great places to boot).

Spend the time focusing on your mother. Always takes priority. Then study like crazy and beat the LSAT, then go to whatever law school you want.

Ditto.

I will say however to try Powerscore publications (all their bibles)--I cant speak of their classes as I've never taken them. But Kaplan most certainly didnt cut it for me.

If you do really well on the LSAT...next cycle is a sure shot lock with any T14. You do have a great GPA and good softs already going for you :wink:

Good luck!

briggslj

Postby briggslj » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:03 pm

I would like to take an in-class course. Kaplan and Princeton Review are the only two being offered in my area. The Princeton Review is really early in the year; It starts in Nov. I graduate in Dec. I have plenty to do...finish my Honors Thesis and try to finish at the top of my class.

I have the Bibles. I've tried the LR Bible along side some other self-study prep material; however, to be safe, I will do a course.

Is Kaplan that bad?
Last edited by briggslj on Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Destined

Postby Destined » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:09 pm

I took a Kaplan course while i was studying abroad in london it worked for me. Just make sure you actually do the work and keep an open mind while youre taking the course to alternative strategies, such as those in the LG and LR bibles. Just find what works for you.
Also id recommend sitting out a cycle too, seems like youd be wasting that awesome GPA of yours. Good luck!

briggslj

Postby briggslj » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:33 pm

Destined, thanks. I probably will go with Kaplan.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:47 pm

briggslj wrote:I would like to take an in-class course. Kaplan and Princeton Review are the only two being offered in my area. The Princeton Review is really early in the year; It starts in Nov. I graduate in Dec. I have plenty to do...finish my Honors Thesis and try to finsih at the top of my class.

I have the Bibles. I've tried the LR Bible along side some other self-study prep material; however, to be safe, I will do a course.

Is Kaplan that bad?
I don't know anything about PR so I can't say. However, the fact that it starts and ends earlier than the February LSAT is actually a good thing. I know that you want to take a class to help you get motivated but the only thing that is really going to help is doing the WORK. Classes only help you as much as you allow them to. Just going to class is not going to do anything for you. The gains you will make will come from the hard work that you put in by yourself. If the PR class ends early it gives you time to take lots of practice tests in preparation for the real thing whereas the Kaplan class ending right before will not give you that time. My Kaplan class taught "new" material up until two weeks before and the last class (which was like 3 days before the LSAT) was a review session. In my own opinion Kaplan does not give a great way to approach the questions or games they just try to give you strategies on how to complete the questions. The order that you should do games in, the order you should do the questions in (must be true first, could be true second, except last etc). It may or may help you more than it helped me but if possible I would recommend against it. Even if you do take the Kaplan class, make sure that you are doing all of the homework and taking tests. And like someone said above, don't hesitate to incorporate other strategies besides whichever class you take. :)

username99

Postby username99 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:20 pm

I say sit out a cycle for no other reason than you are still in college. Take some time first.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:36 pm

briggslj wrote:I would like to take an in-class course. Kaplan and Princeton Review are the only two being offered in my area. The Princeton Review is really early in the year; It starts in Nov. I graduate in Dec. I have plenty to do...finish my Honors Thesis and try to finish at the top of my class.

Is Kaplan that bad?

Yes, they are that bad. Try Powerscore or another company online!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”