Current undergrad: To W or not to W? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
drdreesq

New

Current undergrad: To W or not to W?

Post by drdreesq » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:12 pm

I'm a current junior in undergraduate. I'm a Political Science major. I have pretty much straight-A's on my transcript, with a 3.9 average. I want to maintain this because it may be my best selling point in getting into TLS's.

I have this one NON-REQUIRED class where I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a B-. Now I still have a chance to withdraw at this point, so I want to know....To the LS admission officers, which one looks worse: A B- or a W?

YCrevolution

Gold

Re: Current undergrad: To W or not to W?

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:15 pm

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:15 pm

Non punitive, right?

It's not the B- that looks bad, it's how much it drags your GPA down. I would say withdraw assuming non-punitive.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:25 pm

Definitely withdraw. Or if your school allows it, change it to Pass/Fail. that will never look bad, assuming you pass. Not all schools alow this option. When they do the credit will automatically be counted as an elective credit. Talk to an adviso about it

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:30 pm

Some schools let you W and then retake to replace the W on the transcript. Could you do this?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:31 pm

W

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:32 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Some schools let you W and then retake to replace the W on the transcript. Could you do this?
Won't LSAC see both anyways?

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:34 pm

bk187 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:Some schools let you W and then retake to replace the W on the transcript. Could you do this?
Won't LSAC see both anyways?
Depends on if the school includes it on your transcript. In most cases it does, but I think sometimes they completely replace it.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:56 pm

A bit off topic, but why would someone ever take a W if it counts as an F? I would think that pretty much anyone could struggle out even a D and possibly get the credit and a GPA boost compared to an F, and worst case they get an F regardless and it's the same.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:09 pm

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:34 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
2014 wrote:A bit off topic, but why would someone ever take a W if it counts as an F? I would think that pretty much anyone could struggle out even a D and possibly get the credit and a GPA boost compared to an F, and worst case they get an F regardless and it's the same.
I'm not really sure why, but people do it. Maybe there are schools that let you retake a class if you have a W, but not an F?
I think it is because some schools will average your grade if you retake an F but just give you the new grade if you retake a W.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:52 pm

2014 wrote:A bit off topic, but why would someone ever take a W if it counts as an F? I would think that pretty much anyone could struggle out even a D and possibly get the credit and a GPA boost compared to an F, and worst case they get an F regardless and it's the same.
Many UGs let you take a WF all the way up to the final exam, so if a student knew he was going to fail anyway, a WF (didn't try and failed) might look slightly better than an F (tried but failed anyway), even though they both count as zero in the GPA.

drdreesq

New

Post by drdreesq » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:57 pm

Where does a W count as an F? When LSAC looks at it? I already have one W from a previous semester.

It sounds like a W is better than a B-. There could be a million reasons why you withdrew a course (before the deadline of course)...the professor was an asshole, you got sick, etc. But a B- just indicates that you didn't pull your shit together.

In general, how many W's do you need before it starts to look bad to the law school admissions officers? Like 5 or more? My dad got into a decent graduate school and said he usually withdrew a course every semester (but of course grad school is different).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”