MBA applications down, JD applications still up Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
General Tso

Gold

MBA applications down, JD applications still up

Post by General Tso » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:37 pm

http://money.cnn.com/2010/10/06/pf/coll ... /index.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/education/10grad.html
"I don't think it's going to be a great year for applications," he says. "There is so much negativity out there about the MBA right now."

Bolton thinks the low application numbers are partly due to the blame that has been placed on business schools for the global economic crisis, along with the bleak job market for MBAs, which has led to lower starting salaries and fewer job offers.
Could it be that business people are more rational in making cost-benefit decisions? The profile of an MBA applicant is also different -- most of them have 4-7 years of work experience and are probably more adept at making money decisions. I think there is a strong argument to be made that all law schools should require work experience ala Northwestern. (oh and IBDF)

im_blue

Gold

Re: MBA applications down, JD applications still up

Post by im_blue » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:02 pm

MBA applicants already have full-time jobs, while JD applicants are college graduates with liberal arts degrees.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:37 pm

I hope that means that those of us who truly want to practice law and have real world experience will get preference over the "i don't know what I want to do with my life" kids who apply.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:02 pm

bdubs wrote:I hope that means that those of us who truly want to practice law and have real world experience will get preference over the "i don't know what I want to do with my life" kids who apply.
at my T1 it's surprising how many people I talk to who have no intention of practicing law. I figure at least 25-30% of law students share this opinion. the fact that so many people remove themselves from competition for legal jobs, combined with those with abysmal grades, makes it particularly alarming that so many of us who have decent grades and actually WANT a legal job can't get anything. I guess it just speaks to the grossly overabundant number of law schools.

oakroom

New

Post by oakroom » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:03 pm

Note that the law school article is from January, so is referring to the previous application cycle, not the current one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:10 pm

oakroom wrote:Note that the law school article is from January, so is referring to the previous application cycle, not the current one.
if you can find one from the current cycle, please share. I don't think any data will be available until next January or February. The October LSAT numbers should be interesting

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:31 pm

Those students have median GMAT scores of 730 out of 800, the highest reported average of any school in the world (Harvard is six points lower at 724).
lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”