LOR question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hennenr

Re: LOR question

Postby hennenr » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:34 pm

Agree to disagree. See you at Yale.

hennenr

Postby hennenr » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:35 pm

Just kidding. Thanks for the responses. I'll mill over this and we'll see how it turns out.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:35 pm

hennenr wrote:Agree to disagree. See you at Yale.

Lol. Out of all law schools, Yale cares about the academic LOR the most.
Last edited by acrossthelake on Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:39 pm

hennenr wrote:Just kidding. Thanks for the responses. I'll mill over this and we'll see how it turns out.

Consider Yale unimpressed.

hennenr

Postby hennenr » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:46 pm

Lol. Out of all law schools, Yale cares about the academic LOR the most.[/quote]

That's what I was going for.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:06 pm

hennenr wrote:Lol. Out of all law schools, Yale cares about the academic LOR the most.

That's what I was going for.[/quote]
--ImageRemoved--

blink

Postby blink » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:42 pm

idk if this has been said yet, but they can look to your transcript to see A's in high-level classes. You need a letter to attest to your character, etc, etc, that someone can't know from just browsing through your resume/transcript.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:43 pm

blink wrote:idk if this has been said yet, but they can look to your transcript to see A's in high-level classes. You need a letter to attest to your character, etc, etc, that someone can't know from just browsing through your resume/transcript.

blink

Postby blink » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:44 pm

^lolwut??

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:48 pm

blink wrote:^lolwut??

You need academic references.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:50 pm

blink wrote:idk if this has been said yet, but they can look to your transcript to see A's in high-level classes. You need a letter to attest to your character, etc, etc, that someone can't know from just browsing through your resume/transcript.

Yeah, this is all wrong. An A isn't self-explanatory. What did you do to get that A? Are you a good writer? Are you a good speaker? How well do you work with others? Did you distinguish yourself in any way? What is it like to have you in a classroom?

Also, I think most people can find someone to attest to the fact that they're a pretty nice person ("good character," etc). Do you have your mom or your friends as a reference on your resume? Academic institutions want academic references, just like employers want employment references.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:51 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:

Yeah, this is all wrong. An A isn't self-explanatory. What did you do to get that A? Are you a good writer? Are you a good speaker? How well do you work with others? Did you distinguish yourself in any way? What is it like to have you in a classroom?

Also, I think most people can find someone to attest to the fact that they're a pretty nice person ("good character," etc). Do you have your mom or your friends as a reference on your resume? Academic institutions want academic references, just like employers want employment references.

This + Awesome Hyperbole 'tar = <3

blink

Postby blink » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:52 pm

oh well yeah no shit. maybe i should have explained further in my "etc, etc": work ethic, perserverence, intellect, critical thinking abilities, etc. The prof who doesn't know anything about the person except the grades on papers is worthless because the grades are the only thing the adcoms know as well. The family friend is worthless because no actual work was done in that job AND there is no evidence that this person knows anything about the OP's ability in the classroom, only outside it. A combination of both is necessary. That more clear? Again I have no idea what was already said.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:54 pm

blink wrote:oh well yeah no shit. maybe i should have explained further in my "etc, etc": work ethic, perserverence, intellect, critical thinking abilities, etc. The prof who doesn't know anything about the person except the grades on papers is worthless because the grades are the only thing the adcoms know as well. The family friend is worthless because no actual work was done in that job AND there is no evidence that this person knows anything about the OP's ability in the classroom, only outside it. A combination of both is necessary. That more clear? Again I have no idea what was already said.

Maybe you should read the thread THEN post. We've already discussed that OP has two non-stellar letters to choose from, and established that OF THE TWO, the professor's is more appropriate than the family friend's. OP doesn't HAVE the combination of both.

blink

Postby blink » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:57 pm

eskimo wrote:
blink wrote:oh well yeah no shit. maybe i should have explained further in my "etc, etc": work ethic, perserverence, intellect, critical thinking abilities, etc. The prof who doesn't know anything about the person except the grades on papers is worthless because the grades are the only thing the adcoms know as well. The family friend is worthless because no actual work was done in that job AND there is no evidence that this person knows anything about the OP's ability in the classroom, only outside it. A combination of both is necessary. That more clear? Again I have no idea what was already said.

Maybe you should read the thread THEN post. We've already discussed that OP has two non-stellar letters to choose from, and established that OF THE TWO, the professor's is more appropriate than the family friend's. OP doesn't HAVE the combination of both.

Read the whole thread?? Now that's an idea! So we agree and I didn't have to read through the bickering! win.
Last edited by blink on Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hennenr

Postby hennenr » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:57 pm

This is becoming hilarious.

abarrios

Postby abarrios » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:15 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”