Recommender offering to call admissions?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zephyr36

Recommender offering to call admissions?

Postby zephyr36 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:41 pm

Someone who is a write an LOR for me told me that they would call admissions so that "they understand how important it is that they let you in." I'm a little skeptical about this. Has anyone heard of this before? What are the odds that this might leave a bad taste in ad comm's mouths?

awesomepossum

Re: Recommender offering to call admissions?

Postby awesomepossum » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:45 pm

zephyr36 wrote:Someone who is a write an LOR for me told me that they would call admissions so that "they understand how important it is that they let you in." I'm a little skeptical about this. Has anyone heard of this before? What are the odds that this might leave a bad taste in ad comm's mouths?

This does not sounds like a good idea at all. My feeling is that adcomms would react poorly to somebody calling them and telling them "how important it is that they let you in." It's just awkward. I can't imagine how a conversation like that would go well.

zephyr36

Postby zephyr36 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:47 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
zephyr36 wrote:Someone who is a write an LOR for me told me that they would call admissions so that "they understand how important it is that they let you in." I'm a little skeptical about this. Has anyone heard of this before? What are the odds that this might leave a bad taste in ad comm's mouths?

This does not sounds like a good idea at all. My feeling is that adcomms would react poorly to somebody calling them and telling them "how important it is that they let you in." It's just awkward. I can't imagine how a conversation like that would go well.

That's sort of how I feel too. I really don't see the conversation being, "oh, well thanks for calling. We'll definitely let him in."

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:47 pm

zephyr36 wrote:Someone who is a write an LOR for me told me that they would call admissions so that "they understand how important it is that they let you in."

That sounds like a threat! If s/he personally knows someone at the school, I can see calling, but otherwise, I think it seems overbearing.

ComatoseClown

Postby ComatoseClown » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:47 am

It seems to me like that may HURT you, not help you. Plus, how will the adcoms know for fact that he is your real professor and not your own voice with a deeper voice and excellent BSing skills?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:01 am

Unless this guy is a famous celebrity, politician, or big donor, forget about it.

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:17 am

If the recommender is affiliated with the school you're applying to and offers to actually stop by in person and talk to the admissions dean/committee, that may actually help. Calling on the phone, especially if they're not from the same institution? Not sure how it would help.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:43 am

Probably not a big deal one way or the other. I am not in agreement with most of the posters that it will hurt you, and I do not believe the recommender would likely use the exact words "Its very important that you let this person in."

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:20 am

I'm gonna call him, this dean of admissions person you speak of, and I'm going to explain to him your situation and at the end of this conversation, I will make him an offer he cannot refuse.

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by reasonable_man on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

rapstar

Postby rapstar » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:33 am

is this person a professor, politician, alum what? does he know someone in the admission's office? does he contribute financially? --- you just have to take into account how much pull he really has. i disagree with the posters who just say that "this has to be bad." he very well may be able to get you in the school assuming you are somewhat competitive numbers wise. important people are treated importantly

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:36 am

Why does this person think that it is important that the law school admit you ?

birD

Postby birD » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:18 am

I'm interested in this as well, what about a politician (say governor, senator ect.) offering to call their alum to help an applicants chances? would this actually help?

jetergrl2ss

Postby jetergrl2ss » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:32 am

reasonable_man wrote:I'm gonna call him, this dean of admissions person you speak of, and I'm going to explain to him your situation and at the end of this conversation, I will make him an offer he cannot refuse.

--ImageRemoved--

Best post I have ever seen on this board. Literally Lol'd.

pokerlaw

Postby pokerlaw » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:52 am

Depends on how much $$$ they give the school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”