Anyone know how to delete an account on LSNumbers?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TOMaHULK

Anyone know how to delete an account on LSNumbers?

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:00 pm

I can't seem to find that option, nor to find the answer in FAQ's, or anywhere else on that site.

The info on there is old and I want to start with a new name/updated info, without having it effect their stats.

Please help if you can. :?

r6_philly

Re: Anyone know how to delete an account on LSNumbers?

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:03 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:I can't seem to find that option, nor to find the answer in FAQ's, or anywhere else on that site.

The info on there is old and I want to start with a new name/updated info, without having it effect their stats.

So orphan the old account and start a new one.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:22 pm

Couldn't you just contact them?

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:37 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:I can't seem to find that option, nor to find the answer in FAQ's, or anywhere else on that site.

I was seriously just trying to figure that out this morning....

I just ended up deleting all the info from my profile, but I kind of want it permanently gone as well. I don't like having random accounts floating around in cyberspace.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:43 pm

JennBNYC wrote:

I was seriously just trying to figure that out this morning....

I just ended up deleting all the info from my profile, but I kind of want it permanently gone as well. I don't like having random accounts floating around in cyberspace.

The same with me. Hopefully this answers the above 2 questions too.

I just want one account, and I don't want the numbers from my original account to effect the true stats, etc. If anyone know how to delete, please let me know.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:05 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
I just want one account, and I don't want the numbers from my original account to effect the true stats, etc. If anyone know how to delete, please let me know.

How would your original numbers NOT affect the stats if you delete them? The stats are generated by the info in the database, if you pull it out (by deleting) then you are affecting the stats. If you want to preserve the stats, then you just orphan the account like I said, leaving the stats/your numbers in the database. Just edit out your personal info.

Most accounts don't get deleted, even if you were able to reach an admin, they would just orphan it by disassociating it with you. It's generally bad to "delete" stuff from database, we usually render it useless.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:07 pm

JennBNYC wrote:I was seriously just trying to figure that out this morning....

If you deleted the info, then it is "permanently gone". If you are referring the actually account, then go and change the password to a random string, and change the email to a random email you don't own like a@b.com (that's what I use lol). Then it will not belong to you anymore.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:11 pm

r6_philly wrote:

If you deleted the info, then it is "permanently gone". If you are referring the actually account, then go and change the password to a random string, and change the email to a random email you don't own like a@b.com (that's what I use lol). Then it will not belong to you anymore.

I'm a big fan of test@test.com.

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:52 pm

r6_philly wrote:

I deleted all the info about my LSAT score(s), GPA and the schools I'm applying to, but my email, PW, and username still exist. I suppose I could change the email and PW, but the UN will still be there :-/.

Edit to add: Not that that's the end of the world, I just wish you could just simply wipe out an account with a simple delete button.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:30 pm

Deleting is really hard, most programmers don't allow delete features because it has deep implications than just deleting your account. If an account is actually deleted, the programmer has to account for the messages and comments that the account owner published, as well as the comments and messages that were posted to the account. You don't really want orphan records in database tables, so most of the time we just mark the account as defunct but leave everything in tact. Deleting accounts usually end up generating some unforeseen errors and 10 times the work.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:50 am

r6_philly wrote:Deleting is really hard, most programmers don't allow delete features because it has deep implications than just deleting your account. If an account is actually deleted, the programmer has to account for the messages and comments that the account owner published, as well as the comments and messages that were posted to the account. You don't really want orphan records in database tables, so most of the time we just mark the account as defunct but leave everything in tact. Deleting accounts usually end up generating some unforeseen errors and 10 times the work.

This is the same reason TLS accounts cannot simply be deleted.

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:32 am

r6_philly wrote:Deleting is really hard, most programmers don't allow delete features because it has deep implications than just deleting your account. If an account is actually deleted, the programmer has to account for the messages and comments that the account owner published, as well as the comments and messages that were posted to the account. You don't really want orphan records in database tables, so most of the time we just mark the account as defunct but leave everything in tact. Deleting accounts usually end up generating some unforeseen errors and 10 times the work.

Ahhhhhh, can you tell I'm not a programmer? :)

Thanks for the explanation!

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:13 am

I'm just going to clear out my schools on my list and also my GPA/LSAT info.

Since I never applied on that cycle, it shouldn't hurt anything.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”