Paying sticker price?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
willyj

Paying sticker price?

Postby willyj » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:18 pm

I'm considering attending a t10, where I'd more than likely be paying sticker price. Anyone on here done the same and have insight into whether or not it's a good idea?

Knock

Re: Paying sticker price?

Postby Knock » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:36 pm

willyj wrote:I'm considering attending a t10, where I'd more than likely be paying sticker price. Anyone on here done the same and have insight into whether or not it's a good idea?

It's really a personal decision, and a lot of it hinges on how risk-averse you are. This has been debated a lot though, try looking around, you may find some threads that help answer your question.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:55 pm

What do you want to do with a law degree?

If your desire is to practice in your podunk hometown, numbers that are good enough for a T10 school should be good enough for a big scholarship, if not a full ride, at the nice regional school.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:07 pm

Whether or not it is a good idea depends on:

1. Your goals
2. What your backup plan would be if you failed to reach those goals
3. How failing to reach those goals would affect your feelings of self-worth (and all the other aspects of your life)
4. How you would pay back the loans if you missed the prestigious job train (high-profile firm, public interest, and government work)
5. Anything I may have missed

As another poster stated, it is an extremely personal decision and you have to be willing to live with the consequences of the choice you make if things don't go well (being underemployed and under a lot of debt vs. being underemployed while not under a lot of debt).

Think of it as gambling.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:19 pm

There's a guy at my school who scored 170 on the LSAT and is paying sticker...

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:49 pm

OGR3 wrote:There's a guy at my school who scored 170 on the LSAT and is paying sticker...

A bad enough GPA puts scholarships out of reach at all schools above the third tier.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:51 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Whether or not it is a good idea depends on:

1. Your goals
2. What your backup plan would be if you failed to reach those goals
3. How failing to reach those goals would affect your feelings of self-worth (and all the other aspects of your life)
4. How you would pay back the loans if you missed the prestigious job train (high-profile firm, public interest, and government work)
5. Anything I may have missed

As another poster stated, it is an extremely personal decision and you have to be willing to live with the consequences of the choice you make if things don't go well (being underemployed and under a lot of debt vs. being underemployed while not under a lot of debt).

Think of it as gambling
Whether or not you want to be a lawyer

FTFY

pjo

Postby pjo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:04 pm

OGR3 wrote:There's a guy at my school who scored 170 on the LSAT and is paying sticker...

wow. No $ at all from pitt w a 170??? Was his GPA like sub-2.5?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:06 pm

I would pay sticker price for a Fisher Price.

BU2013

Postby BU2013 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:13 pm

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:14 pm

Honestly, LRAP is pretty good at most t10's no?

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:34 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:Honestly, LRAP is pretty good at most t10's no?

LRAP still requires you to gain, and hold, qualifying employment and then have a qualifying salary.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:38 pm

Harvard's LIPP is fantastic. It covers all legal employment, not just public interest. Someone making 60k contributes no more than 10k (sliding scale above and below, obviously). All loans paid off in 10 years as long as you maintain qualifying employment. For the majority of us not interested in public interest per se, it's the best, bar none.

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:45 pm

One is great, a couple are good, a couple suck. Chicago's blows and Berkeley's extends only to $100k and necessitates enrolling in IBR. Aside from HYS, CNMP are pretty acceptable...don't really know anything about Virginia's.

ConMan345 wrote:Harvard's LIPP is fantastic. It covers all legal employment, not just public interest. Someone making 60k contributes no more than 10k (sliding scale above and below, obviously). All loans paid off in 10 years as long as you maintain qualifying employment. For the majority of us not interested in public interest per se, it's the best, bar none.

Other than covering all employment, LIPP isn't much better than a lot of other programs. Yale's is easily tops....if you make <65k in an attorney's job, you pay nothing. End of story.

edit for clarification

DeepSeaLaw

Postby DeepSeaLaw » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:01 am

DreamShake wrote:One is great, a couple are good, a couple suck. Chicago's blows and Berkeley's extends only to $100k and necessitates enrolling in IBR. Aside from HYS, CNMP are pretty acceptable...don't really know anything about Virginia's.

ConMan345 wrote:Harvard's LIPP is fantastic. It covers all legal employment, not just public interest. Someone making 60k contributes no more than 10k (sliding scale above and below, obviously). All loans paid off in 10 years as long as you maintain qualifying employment. For the majority of us not interested in public interest per se, it's the best, bar none.

Other than covering all employment, LIPP isn't much better than a lot of other programs. Yale's is easily tops....if you make <65k in an attorney's job, you pay nothing. End of story.

edit for clarification

FTFY

With the exception of Yale (which does adjust your loans to a 15-year payment schedule for the first five years, back-loading benefits), it's hard to compare top LRAP's in catch-all terms. For example, Stanford's LRAP is marginally more generous than Harvard's for committed public interest people, while as an above poster pointed out, Harvard's LIPP is more flexible in terms of qualifying jobs. Some schools will have higher thresholds for requiring a contribution at all, while some will continue to award benefits at a higher income levels. TLS has helpful LRAP profiles that are worth a look.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”