How many addenda?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JurisDoctorate

How many addenda?

Postby JurisDoctorate » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:25 am

Is 6 too many?

ahduth

Re: How many addenda?

Postby ahduth » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:34 am

Yes. No one wants to read six addenda.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:42 am

I heard a rep telling me that when they assemble the files they may leave some additional pages off the file that gets passed around if you have too many pages. So you can send 6, the office assistants will hate you, and they may not get read anyway.

JurisDoctorate

Postby JurisDoctorate » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:48 am

Yikes, that's unfortunate.

I didn't feel like any were superfluous:

1. Explaining that I can handle a JD/PhD program
2. Explaining the jump in my LSAT (which I expect I will need)
3. Explaining a few W's
4. Explaining an unrepresentative semester
5. Gaps in education
6. Why I want to attend the law school

Looking at this, I guess 4 can go and 3 could be eliminated - yes? How many addenda do most people have?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:59 am

JurisDoctorate wrote:Yikes, that's unfortunate.

I didn't feel like any were superfluous:

1. Explaining that I can handle a JD/PhD program
2. Explaining the jump in my LSAT (which I expect I will need)
3. Explaining a few W's
4. Explaining an unrepresentative semester
5. Gaps in education
6. Why I want to attend the law school

Looking at this, I guess 4 can go and 3 could be eliminated - yes? How many addenda do most people have?

My candid opinion:

1: If you can get accepted by the PhD program, then you are obviously capable.
2: This will be read at least once (maybe not, depending on the school, they like the higher score anyway, but you send this)
3, 4, 5: They are the same. Write 3 paragraphs, put on the same page, name it "Academic difficulties addendum" or something similiar
6: Weave it in the PS. If your reason to want to go to law school is significant enough (other than you wanting a lucrative career) then you need to incorporate it into your PS, it would read better and be more effective anyway.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:03 am

From Dean Tom's interview:

TLS: Is there any other written material that a student may submit?

Dean Tom: “Yes. You can also send a resume, which I recommend doing. The resumes are generally one page, but that can be exceeded. More information can usually only help your application, so throw in the kitchen sink. There are no interviews, and I want to get to know the human behind the numbers. Also, you can send an addendum, one or two paragraphs on a separate page, dedicated to any particular talking points desired.”

http://www.top-law-schools.com/tom-interview.html

I would guess 1, 5 and 6 should be covered in your personal statement, with 2, 3 and 4 being covered in a general GPA/LSAT addenda? You should maybe call them and find out, JD/PhD programs may have different strictures.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:05 am

ahduth wrote:From Dean Tom's interview:

TLS: Is there any other written material that a student may submit?

Dean Tom: “Yes. You can also send a resume, which I recommend doing. The resumes are generally one page, but that can be exceeded. More information can usually only help your application, so throw in the kitchen sink. There are no interviews, and I want to get to know the human behind the numbers. Also, you can send an addendum, one or two paragraphs on a separate page, dedicated to any particular talking points desired.”

http://www.top-law-schools.com/tom-interview.html

I would guess 1, 5 and 6 should be covered in your personal statement, with 2, 3 and 4 being covered in a general GPA/LSAT addenda? You should maybe call them and find out, JD/PhD programs may have different strictures.

I think all that advice only applies to Boalt, being holistic and all.

JurisDoctorate

Postby JurisDoctorate » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:11 am

Thanks for all of the advice. I had thought of more condensed addenda, but then I read a thread that said every addendum should be a few sentences. Then, I looked through a school's site and they said 1-3 paragraphs. I'm all for a couple condensed ones, as long as the length requirement isn't an issue.

1: If you can get accepted by the PhD program, then you are obviously capable.
- The focus is that I can balance both full time law school and my PhD program.

2: This will be read at least once (maybe not, depending on the school, they like the higher score anyway, but you send this)
- I read that this is required if there is an 8-10 point increase. I don't anticipate doing that poorly on Saturday, I'm just preparing it in case.

3, 4, 5: They are the same. Write 3 paragraphs, put on the same page, name it "Academic difficulties addendum" or something similiar
- I agree with this. I will have to pare down a lot, but I can trim the fat.

6: Weave it in the PS. If your reason to want to go to law school is significant enough (other than you wanting a lucrative career) then you need to incorporate it into your PS, it would read better and be more effective anyway.
- Well, the reason for me going to law school is in my PS, but that's even running a bit long. I don't have a section on the school, specifically, but I'm sure I can weave that in - like you said.

Is the take-home point that addenda should only be used, when necessary? That if one can put the content in the PS, then they should?

JurisDoctorate

Postby JurisDoctorate » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:14 am

But this is all good, I just starting writing my PS and addenda yesterday. I was feeling too fried from all of the LSAT prep and decided to take my mind off of it by preparing my application. I still have a couple of months to prepare a really clean, focused application.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:19 am

The problem I would have with six addenda would be that it raises more questions than you really want to, as in, "why does this candidate have six different issues we need to address separately from the personal statement?" Some of the issues are substantive enough to be addressed in the personal statement.

As far as Boalt... admittedly I've kind of been working on getting my material ready for Berkeley a fair bit here. :D I kind of feel like it's pretty broadly applicable, however. If it's that important, put it in your personal statement. Addenda are just asterisks being attached to your application.

JurisDoctorate

Postby JurisDoctorate » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:23 am

I see, thank you for that perspective. I guess I was too afraid of having an excessively long personal statement or detracting from the tone of my personal statement.

I will definitely consider this view and I thank you for it.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:27 am

ahduth wrote:As far as Boalt... admittedly I've kind of been working on getting my material ready for Berkeley a fair bit here. :D I kind of feel like it's pretty broadly applicable, however. If it's that important, put it in your personal statement. Addenda are just asterisks being attached to your application.

I was told by 2 admission deans in person that they do not want to read more than they have to. Apparently they put the summary report up front, then the PS, then your application form, then transcripts and other documents. If they don't read it in your PS, don't really expect them to go dig for your other pages. If they read your PS and say "blah" they will just pass on, so put it in your PS. If your academic summary has some holes in it that needs explaining, wouldn't it be better to put it in your PS which will be the second thing they read so you can immediately address your shortcomings, how you overcame them, and what you learned?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”