Official NYU Early Decision Waiting Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gendefect

Re: Official NYU Early Decision Waiting Thread

Postby gendefect » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:38 pm

Also, I'm in NYC, so I'm guessing the letter will arrive tomorrow. So of course I'll update once I hear anything.

mst

Postby mst » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:40 pm

I'll give you my freaking phone number if that will speed things up, haha

Edit: I just realized this isn't going to be nearly as ridiculous a suggestion as it is currently if we both end up getting in ED in 3 days. Because that would mean we are both definitely going to be NYU law students. Weird to think about.

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:43 pm

mst wrote:I'll give you my freaking phone number if that will speed things up, haha

Edit: I just realized this isn't going to be nearly as ridiculous a suggestion as it is currently if we both end up getting in ED in 3 days. Because that would mean we are both definitely going to be NYU law students. Weird to think about.

true. PM me if you like.

mst

Postby mst » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:46 pm

I think I'll just wait for the envelope. I've never really had that dream-school opening the mailbox experience. It's always been rejections and online notification for UG. Stupid internet. No, I don't want this one spoiled if it's an acceptance, lol.

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:00 pm

Got my "decision sent" update today, too. Hoping that means good news for us. Of the few ED decision letters sent, it looks like most are pretty solid applicants. Am I right about that?

mst

Postby mst » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:01 pm

What was your lsat again NYC?

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:03 pm

mst wrote:What was your lsat again NYC?

mst

Postby mst » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:06 pm

Yeah it seems were all in the splitter range but none of us are outright rejects. Your case is better than mine though. We'll find out soon enough. I'm so excited, just because in 3 days I can either a)stop worrying about my cycle, or b)look forward to being able to hopefully choose among several other great law schools who might offer me money.

Either way, Thursday won't be a bad day.

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:09 pm

mst wrote:Yeah it seems were all in the splitter range but none of us are outright rejects. Your case is better than mine though. We'll find out soon enough. I'm so excited, just because in 3 days I can either a)stop worrying about my cycle, or b)look forward to being able to hopefully choose among several other great law schools who might offer me money.

Either way, Thursday won't be a bad day.

I would bet you're in good shape. I think I read on the general NYU thread that they have not typically sent ED rejections this early, and I can't imagine that you'd fit in that category, either. I'm right outside of NYC, so I'm hoping to get a letter tomorrow. Exciting week!!

mst

Postby mst » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:09 pm

My mind is racing through the idea of living in NY now... I've been down south my entire life and have never lived anywhere where the temperature drops below freezing more than 2 or 3 days a year. That and I've attended public schools my entire life: I've never had nice things, lol. The idea of sitting in that beautiful building studying and taking lunch breaks in WSP is just so freaking distracting. Between this and the discovery of the show "mad men" yesterday, there's no way I'm going to get any studying done today haha.

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:39 pm

Here's a google spreadsheet that shows "decision letter sent" updates (credit to absolutazn87 in the NYU thread): https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key ... utput=html

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:56 pm

Does anyone else NOT have "Letter sent" yet? :?

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:01 pm

No letter sent for me.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:03 pm

tipler4213 wrote:No letter sent for me.

Has anyone who has "Decision Letter Sent" applied for the special scholarships, and/or sent in anything later (i.e., I submitted 11/01, but sent a traffic addendum 11/15)?

I am gonna guess that I have simply been rejected.

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:07 pm

tipler4213 wrote:
Has anyone who has "Decision Letter Sent" applied for the special scholarships, and/or sent in anything later (i.e., I submitted 11/01, but sent a traffic addendum 11/15)?

Well, firstly, I had a letter sent today, but didn't apply for anything of that stuff. I am curious though. Did you have to apply for that stuff with your initial application, or can you still apply later? Does anyone know?

And as for folks who haven't had letters sent yet, I think there are good odds more letters will be sent tomorrow, or Wednesday or whatever. And even then, if the past is any indication, a bunch of people will get accepted towards the end of December as well. I don't think there's any reason whatsoever to take the fact that you haven't had a letter sent to you yet to mean you're not going to get in.

I certainly understand why folks feel that way, but I really don't think it's time to be assuming that yet.

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:09 pm

^^ Agreed.

mst

Postby mst » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:10 pm

tipler4213 wrote:

I'm not trying to crush your spirit but you asked so I'll answer: I got one, applied two days after you did, and sent in a traffic addendum like 2 weeks later too... But I didn't do any optional essays. That said, we don't even know if these are acceptances yet, and more are bound to come out after today, so we'll see. Good luck!

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:42 pm

mst wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:

I'm not trying to crush your spirit but you asked so I'll answer: I got one, applied two days after you did, and sent in a traffic addendum like 2 weeks later too... But I didn't do any optional essays. That said, we don't even know if these are acceptances yet, and more are bound to come out after today, so we'll see. Good luck!

I appreciate it. Spirit crushed, but it is good to have the info.

mst

Postby mst » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:55 pm

tipler4213 wrote:
mst wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:

I appreciate it. Spirit crushed, but it is good to have the info.

You have very good ED numbers. I'd say your a much more realistic shot than I am, so take that for what it's worth.

mst

Postby mst » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:10 pm

I just lame-o'd it up and looked up last years ED thread. Some holds were sent out with acceptances on the first ED notification day/wave. A week later, it reversed and was mostly holds with a few people getting in ED over the next week. Very few ED rejects.

So what this tells you:

1)Decision mailed does not mean in.
2)No decision does not mean out.
3)If you got a decision today, chances are you weren't outright rejected.

So everyone should lower their emotions down a notch I suppose.

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:27 pm

mst wrote:I just lame-o'd it up and looked up last years ED thread. Some holds were sent out with acceptances on the first ED notification day/wave. A week later, it reversed and was mostly holds with a few people getting in ED over the next week. Very few ED rejects.

So what this tells you:

1)Decision mailed does not mean in.
2)No decision does not mean out.
3)If you got a decision today, chances are you weren't outright rejected.

So everyone should lower their emotions down a notch I suppose.

Can you quantify "some"? Like, 5%...50%...?

mst

Postby mst » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:35 pm

The thread is a small sample. It was a small minority if that helps. Just don't assume 100% of the first letters were acceptances, because I don't want anybody to do anything stupid like tell their families and friends they got in... and they don't get in. You know?

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:35 pm

This thread seems to be dying, and I am anxious. Thus, I come to resurrect it!

landpirate

Postby landpirate » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:03 pm

I will help resurrect it too, with more wild speculation. Mine says letter sent 12/3. That was a friday. Does this mean that it left the office friday, made it to the NYU mailroom on monday, then finally got sent to the post office today? Everyone is expecting the letters to take 2 days, but I am suspicious that they might take the better part of a week. Is there any history on this subject?

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:16 pm

landpirate wrote:I will help resurrect it too, with more wild speculation. Mine says letter sent 12/3. That was a friday. Does this mean that it left the office friday, made it to the NYU mailroom on monday, then finally got sent to the post office today? Everyone is expecting the letters to take 2 days, but I am suspicious that they might take the better part of a week. Is there any history on this subject?

It's a valid point. I just wish I had a letter to speculate over...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”